Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
43 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

the cold front that's moving in this weekend, is that due to bring us any  snow or is there a different front next weekend,  I have read on metcheck its getting milder again in the week. will it get cold again after this??? I'm just confused because some places say we might get snow and could be awfuk and others say not a flake, I'm just wondering if I'm making a massive muddle. I have checked its the uk and not the us.

it's all up in the air......literally

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Saw the Beeb with Darren Bett just a few minutes ago for this weekend and showed temps of 5-6c for this region, you might as  well forget about snow with temperatures that high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Wind picking up again in Marlow where I am working pretty quickly too, arrived with fog and not a breath of wind now 3 hours later it's gusty in the mid 30s. 

BBC weather going for local disruption later and maybe local power cuts. This one definitely crept up on us I think the focus was more on Eleanor yesterday. 

More rain to come later too, the river Thames at Staines is at bursting point 

The rivers being that bad is surprising to me, as the dour even after all this rain is still low. It goes to normal during rain and an hour or two after, then back to low again. It really did get dry down here.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
2 hours ago, snowsummer said:

Hello everyone! And sincere apologies to you all. Yes! Its all my fault.  Got too clever for my own good over on the mad thread. I just KNEW the snowmaggedon  to end all snowmaggeddons was coming. They all told me so. But alas! I committed  the cardinal sin....i told not only my family, but my friends, my neighbours, the old ladies at the bus stop, well, everyone really.   I'll  get mt coat.....

Don't worry just yet, no one knows what will happen after the weekend yet, including the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

You full know  well if things were going well this forum would be busier than a busy place on a busy day. Cold is a bit so what in winter, you expect it to be cold.  The wind can do one. 

I'm expecting frost, mist and sun. 

QLz96_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind, Thunder, Snow, warm sunshine!

Don't know about you guys but it's really blowing a hoolie here right now, some very strong gusts must be in excess of 45 mph occasionally heading upwards of 50 mph my trip down to the local shops certainly got interesting coming back up the hill, to say it put the colour in my cheeks would be a real understatement lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

Some big house shaking gusts coming through now, expect the peek of these winds between 3pm and 6pm before it dies down and our next batch of wind and rain moves in 

Some very strong winds here since lunchtime, worse than yesterday! Very noisy but it’s dry and there’s been a fair bit of sunshine. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Don't worry just yet, no one knows what will happen after the weekend yet, including the models.

Oh but they do alexisj9, they do! 10% of people KNOW it will be warm ( yes really!) 40% know it will be just an average january, and 50% are certain that before this weekend is out the British  isles is being transported  across  the pond....... ;) as for the models, they dont have a clue which group of 'experts' to obey yet 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind, Thunder, Snow, warm sunshine!
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Some very strong winds here since lunchtime, worse than yesterday! Very noisy but it’s dry and there’s been a fair bit of sunshine. 

I can concur definitely stronger then yesterday and more prolonged too (the gusts are more frequent and consistent). Apart from that crazy squall line in the middle of the night I didn't think Eleanor was worth the hype in our neck of the woods although I appreciate is was a lot worse for others further north and west of us.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knightstorm87 said:

Don't know about you guys but it's really blowing a hoolie here right now, some very strong gusts must be in excess of 45 mph occasionally heading upwards of 50 mph my trip down to the local shops certainly got interesting coming back up the hill, to say it put the colour in my cheeks would be a real understatement lol.

Wind not really all that here yet. Which is surprising.

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

we are getting bashing here with the winds

• Like 1

Posted

Judging by the meltdowns in the model thread, is it fair to assume that next week's Easterly and snow showers has been cancelled by the heavens? 

Posted

As things currently stand (it’ll change), the ‘cold spell’ is looking pathetic for our patch. Temperatures look just below average and won’t fall much at night due to wind and possible low cloud. I’d rather it was windy and mild to be honest! Even when we get an easterly the upper air ends up warmer than off the Atlantic.....you couldn’t make it up ?

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Judging by the meltdowns in the model thread, is it fair to assume that next week's Easterly and snow showers has been cancelled by the heavens? 

To early to know either way. Don't think fl charts should be available lol. Cause far to much stress.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
23 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

There is the risk of a few wintry showers Saturday and overnight, but otherwise probably dry for most into next week.

I wouldn't rule out a colder easterly still developing as the high to our NE remains in place. At the moment it will probably be chilly with winds off the continent.

As for today, the bins have taken a battering again, I am getting fed up of having to pick them up. :rofl:

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

There is the risk of a few wintry showers Saturday and overnight, but otherwise probably dry for most into next week.

I wouldn't rule out a colder easterly still developing as the high to our NE remains in place. At the moment it will probably be chilly with winds off the continent.

As for today, the bins have taken a battering again, I am getting fed up of having to pick them up. :rofl:

Can't disagree with any of that CS; there's nothing to prevent the block from developing a profile similar to that which occurred in February 1986...a month is a long time in weather forecasting!:good:

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Can't disagree with any of that CS; there's nothing to prevent the block from developing a profile similar to that which occurred in February 1986...a month is a long time in weather forecasting!:good:

I thought it was 87, I assume you mean the coldest winter in recent years. I'm not sure which year though could have been 86.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

I thought it was 87, I assume you mean the coldest winter in recent years. I'm not sure which year though could have been 86.

1987 was the year of the extreme January cold spell; '86 was the one with the very cold February - we were spoiled for choice back then...Oddly enough, neither '86 nor '87 saw temps as low as during the northerly outbreaks of '81-'82 or Xmas 1995!:cold:

• Thanks 1

Posted

What a very windy day it's been which has made it feel quite cold. GFS model would not back down whilst a few others were producing Beast from the East galore. As it stands, they have backed down and now following GFS. Wouldn't it be funny if GFS suddenly goes into Beast from the East mode in tonight's pub run!!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, yamkin said:

What a very windy day it's been which has made it feel quite cold. GFS model would not back down whilst a few others were producing Beast from the East galore. As it stands, they have backed down and now following GFS. Wouldn't it be funny if GFS suddenly goes into Beast from the East mode in tonight's pub run!!

That is what I expect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Seems there are still chances but they keep getting pushed back and stay at D8-10 but then breakdown the closer we get..... but I guess all the time it's showing cold, there's still a chance?!x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Surprise surprise,it's all gone belly up,don't go in the mad thread,can't see anything coming in from the east now,the pile of rattles and toys is too high for it to get through