Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

As it happens the Arome and Arpege have also up scaled the wind over our region. 

They normally start minimising wind closer to the storm. Doesn't sound good.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Its hard to pin point because even high res models struggle with these micro features..I think  @Paul posted some charts in summer of the in house high res model when we had storms which was the closest thing I saw of picking features like this out.. 

Go back to the trusty Arome (or not so) and it shows this for 8pm tonight.. That looks like some kind of squall but you role it on and it gets a bit messy with it trying to pick up the very nasty showers following on behind the first front..

What I can make out is there is potential for something quite lively, certainly a wake you up thing, the bin does a runner little food box never to be seen again. But further north taking the higher gusts for a sustained period of time. 

preciprate_014.jpg?2018010206preciprate_015.jpg?2018010206preciprate_016.jpg?2018010206preciprate_017.jpg?2018010206preciprate_018.jpg?2018010206

EURO 4 out till the morning:

Precipitation EURO4 Tu 02.01.2018 18 GMT Precipitation EURO4 Tu 02.01.2018 21 GMT Precipitation EURO4 We 03.01.2018 00 GMTPrecipitation EURO4 We 03.01.2018 03 GMTPrecipitation EURO4 We 03.01.2018 06 GMT

Midnight fax charts from met:

Surface pressure chart - Forecast T+24 - Issued at: 00:00 on Tue 2 Jan 2018

That is quite a lot of various fronts and troughs to swing through so would imagine that showers form in some kind of "lines" until they eventually push through over night then back to standard blustery showers tomorrow 

Breeze just started picking up here.. 

Sorry if im posting to much, storms have always been one of my favorite weather type. When we got the decs out for Christmas mum found a picture I painted when I was a kid about 3 or 4 and its of a thunderstorm with my name and age.. 

Looks like it's trying to model lewp. If that is what happens, it's a very good spot by a model.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
20 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Looks like it's trying to model lewp. If that is what happens, it's a very good spot by a model.

It’s certainly going to be a lively night out there. Could be a few cats wrapped around lampposts in the morning ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Time to get the Christmas lights off the roof before either I get swept off of it or the lights end up half way down the street

Posted

The father in law has got inflatable snowmen in his front garde, this time tomorrow they could be in Calais ?

Edited by Weather toad
  • Like 3

Posted

It will certainly become pretty wild in our neck of the woods later this evening, mainly due to the convective gusts as detailed by @Surrey today. Heathrow TAF now going for gusts to 48 knots (55 mph) which is impressive for this area!

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

It will certainly become pretty wild in our neck of the woods later this evening, mainly due to the convective gusts as detailed by @Surrey today. Heathrow TAF now going for gusts to 48 knots (55 mph) which is impressive for this area!

Add in the enhanced risk and plus 60mph won't be out of the question 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

So I hear it might get a bit breezy tonight!

Not sure there's anything I can really do in regards tying stuff down so will just have to hope the wheelie bin doesn't go walkies.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Add in the enhanced risk and plus 60mph won't be out of the question 

Totally agree! I wouldn’t be surprised to see gusts around 70mph if any squall lines develop. I’m going for Farnborough and Heathrow recording the highest inland gusts.

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

Certainly along the coast lines 

They were also saying flying debris, trees down, sounds pretty fierce inland as well, so glad i don't have to go anywhere tomorrow and can put things off till thursday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I'm just trying to work out if the fairly long but not completely necessary journey I had planned for tomorrow (I can do it Thursday instead) is worth postponing. No point driving unless I have to in winds like that. 

Edited by moogyboobles
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Wind storms would be great if they didn't make power cables break making the power go , and the vanilla cream in the fridge go off.  Hopefully bubs garden will be ok. 

The only plus side is having spent most of my life living near the sea, or for a while actually by the sea itself, that the sound of wind helps me to sleep, but since we had the windows done it will having to be blowing a hooley now to hear it.

Apart from here no other weather forecast is saying anything about any snowy stuff over the weekend, so i'm going to weather this storm before I start polishing my snow boots.:D

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dami said:

Apart from here no other weather forecast is saying anything about any snowy stuff over the weekend, so i'm going to weather this storm before I start polishing my snow boots.:D

Model thread is talking about snow at day 5 but not much about storm tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dami said:

Wind storms would be great if they didn't make power cables break making the power go , and the vanilla cream in the fridge go off.  Hopefully bubs garden will be ok. 

The only plus side is having spent most of my life living near the sea, or for a while actually by the sea itself, that the sound of wind helps me to sleep, but since we had the windows done it will having to be blowing a hooley now to hear it.

If the ECM comes of we’ll be calling the Army in, forget the snow boots ??

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather toad said:

If the ECM comes of we’ll be calling the Army in, forget the snow boots ??

tenor.gif?itemid=7443414

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
Just now, Dami said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7443414

That's one of my favourite gifs!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

That's one of my favourite gifs!

love Miss J <3

tumblr_lzeugniRJ11qzl99n.gif

Edited by Dami

Posted
54 minutes ago, Lauren said:

So I hear it might get a bit breezy tonight!

Not sure there's anything I can really do in regards tying stuff down so will just have to hope the wheelie bin doesn't go walkies.

I'm used to mine falling over. Will be the 10th time this year I think. At least it's out back.

Posted
44 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

I'm just trying to work out if the fairly long but not completely necessary journey I had planned for tomorrow (I can do it Thursday instead) is worth postponing. No point driving unless I have to in winds like that. 

I think it might be an idea to do it Thursday. Just in case. 

Posted
41 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Model thread is talking about snow at day 5 but not much about storm tonight.

Always the way. Would-be good to get some of their incite into tonight, tomorrow.

• Like 1