Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 1 2018

sh.whyman

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Hi all. I mistakenly thought that I was on tour 2, and I had a right panic when I actually read the email from Paul saying that I am on tour 1!

Anyway I am all sorted flight wise now and will arrive on the 7th in the evening at 19:53 via Fort Lauderdale.

I can’t wait to meet everyone and as far as I am concerned my holiday hasj ust been brought forward by 10 days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I love the "Only Fools and Tornado Chasers" put down.....

Chiono you Plonker.:D

I have to ask are you the same Chionomaniac who does the snow patch stuff on WinterHighland??

Posted
17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I love the "Only Fools and Tornado Chasers" put down.....

Chiono you Plonker.:D

I have to ask are you the same Chionomaniac who does the snow patch stuff on WinterHighland??

No. There must be more than one of us lol. But I am the original ?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just taken delivery of a tripod, so I think we're all set...

Flights all booked.

US ETSA has been approved.

Dog Tag insurance is sorted.

Booked in at the Best Western Irving for the night of the 7th.

Owt else?

Posted
21 minutes ago, Becca Start said:

Yep me too!! Have purchased another memory card, just need a spare camera battery! I'm also staying in best western Irving on the 7th ?

Nice one... Which outbound flight are you on? Looks like I'm on the same flight as @mihai_necula (BA0193) on the 7th.

Welcome aboard @mihai_necula btw. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Loving the fact lots of you are coming in on the 7th and not the 8th. If anything is close to DFW 2 of the 3 cars will be ready to chase so could be some bonuses - Woohoo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Loving the fact lots of you are coming in on the 7th and not the 8th. If anything is close to DFW 2 of the 3 cars will be ready to chase so could be some bonuses - Woohoo

Is that on the 7th AND the 8th? :wink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

oooh    I can feel the excitement from here.  Counting down trying to remember what it is that you might forget.  There is a Walmart next door open 24 hours. 

Tom

Posted

I’ve been keeping an eye on the charts for the start of the tour and too much inter run variability so far to take anything from it. But time to start watching a bit more eagerly

Posted
On 19/04/2018 at 14:18, jtay said:

Nice one... Which outbound flight are you on? Looks like I'm on the same flight as @mihai_necula (BA0193) on the 7th.

Welcome aboard @mihai_necula btw. :)

Sorry i did reply to this but it didn't send for some reason. I'm on flight BA1504. Cant believe its only a week away now, cant wait to see some proper storms!!!

Posted

Would probably accept this as a tour starting point, good dew points, lift, instability, and a bit of shear. Could see a dry line storm on a slight risk day. All for FI fun for now of course 

6684957A-CBFA-496D-9F87-46B1FEB35B68.thumb.jpeg.c697cdb08e62b0717648af5f97e307d5.jpeg

D84B5719-45B4-44AB-BA85-E1FFFCB2B721.thumb.jpeg.68a3cbdd9785e35ec44d18576d29d89a.jpeg

133771C9-6C55-4097-A09E-4FF03EDC6DB1.thumb.jpeg.fb3867e9f89595271525517a22fcda4f.jpeg

14834E37-47E6-4B92-9B52-4B5E00A29DFD.thumb.jpeg.c3971421b1ef978bba70835ef5964879.jpeg

C2FB8841-CB6B-416E-9D32-3124B14BF929.thumb.jpeg.b1f42ac7331188104ce9d7ec03a1c618.jpeg

Posted
6 hours ago, Becca Start said:

Sorry i did reply to this but it didn't send for some reason. I'm on flight BA1504. Cant believe its only a week away now, cant wait to see some proper storms!!!

No worries. Yep, getting close. This time next week, I'll be packing.

5 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

Would probably accept this as a tour starting point, good dew points, lift, instability, and a bit of shear. Could see a dry line storm on a slight risk day. All for FI fun for now of course.

I'd take that too, based on the season so far out there.

Some interest coming up this week... Let's hope it continues. 

Posted

Wednesday will almost Certainly be a Moderate Risk this week, Tuesday could hold a few surprises as well if Storms can Tornado early before the Cap kills em off. Would expect at least 2 siginificant Tornadoes on the 2nd May, most probably in Oklahoma and Kansas. Some of the Soundings are already showing PDS Tornado potential. Pretty gutting its not exactly a week later. But thems the cards we are dealt!

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Wednesday will almost Certainly be a Moderate Risk this week, Tuesday could hold a few surprises as well if Storms can Tornado early before the Cap kills em off. Would expect at least 2 siginificant Tornadoes on the 2nd May, most probably in Oklahoma and Kansas. Some of the Soundings are already showing PDS Tornado potential. Pretty gutting its not exactly a week later. But thems the cards we are dealt!

I’m hoping for a rinse and repeat a week later!

Posted

Nearly There People

11 Guests on Tour 1 of which 4 of returning guests.

We will have 7 Double rooms and 1 single on this Tour.

So far it looks like it will work out quite nicely with only 6 of the boys pairing up to share.

Room 1 - Paul and Andre

Room 2 - Richard and Ed

Room 3 - Jock

Room 4 - Danny and Ruby (Couple)

Room 5 - Sarah and Rebecca

Room 6, 7 and 8 between Adam, Sam and Paul Hunter (All returning Guests) and John Taylor, Gregg Lees and Mihai

Posted
3 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Nearly There People

11 Guests on Tour 1 of which 4 of returning guests.

We will have 7 Double rooms and 1 single on this Tour.

So far it looks like it will work out quite nicely with only 6 of the boys pairing up to share.

Room 1 - Paul and Andre

Room 2 - Richard and Ed

Room 3 - Jock

Room 4 - Danny and Ruby (Couple)

Room 5 - Sarah and Rebecca

Room 6, 7 and 8 between Adam, Sam and Paul Hunter (All returning Guests) and John Taylor, Gregg Lees and Mihai

Hello Paul,

I will introduce myself a bit maybe it will help with the pairing.

Got bitten by the convective meteorology bug since high-school (when I read all the old books on RO thunderstorm climatology), ended up 12 years later with a PhD in Geography-Climatology focused on the risk generated by thunderstorms in my region. Working in the renewable energy sector at the same company for almost 10 years first as a project manager and now heading all the project development. Forecasting more as a hobby, operator of Blitzortung station 960 (Vaslui/Romania) which replaced a system green station. Interested in energy meteorology / power trading. Also with a background on environmental science and some work in nature conservation.

Also Paul, wanting to ask you about the final information package, if it was send or not as I did not received it yet.

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

I was split between going a end of april-first decade of May and mid May because of an expected delay of the start of the season. 

Thinking this week will be a good beginning of the 2018 season (at least ending the Oklahoma drought) but still expecting the main course during our tour. There should be a bit more moisture and a  bit more heat... and it looks like no serious blocking feature to spoil everything. It was very cold in the US this spring and I am thinking that maybe mid May would be quite interesting...

Looks like something is cooking up from the 8-10th onward... starting to show up also on the Euro.

• Like 1

Posted

Yh certainly no ridging pattern setting in which is a good sign, to be fair the dreaded East Coast Trough West Coast Ridge has been prevalent over most of the winter months so something had to shift. This season is a lot like 2013 was in the States when they also had a very cold spring and late start to the season and look what happened that year.

Still wont know the outcome for the start of the tour until end of this week but encouraging signs the ECM and GFS singing from a similar sheet

• Like 1

Looking forward to it now!  I'm heading out on the 6th so I can spend 2 days exploring Dallas/Ft Worth area, before meeting the team at the rental place on arrival day :)

Nervously looking at models here, and events this week too.

No tornadoes on my last tour in 2016, so everything is crossed!

• Like 1

Posted

Getting excited now. Will be great to meet all the other guests. 

I am looking forward to seeing some great storm structures- anything more will be a bonus. 

If there is a chance of a lift from DFW then that would be great!

This is my second tour - yet to see a tornado - that would be the icing on the cake. 

Not keen on chasing in hill billies land in Misery lol

• Like 2

Posted

Found a Sounding on the Red River which says TOR on Chase Day 1 :yahoo:- Baby Steps and all that

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Becca Start said:

The people who are travelling the day before and staying at Best Western Irving, we should meet up! 

Aspen Creek next door for dinner/drinks? I like that place, they once gave me free cheesecake...

• Like 2