Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Doom and gloom? It's not doom and gloom, it is what it is. As it stands, anyone hoping for a convective E'ly with snow shower after snow shower is going to be disappointed (could still change).

Those hoping for some kind of battleground snowfall may be pleased. Anyone who likes it cold will be pleased. Anyone wanting an extended cold spell may be feeling slightly disappointed tonight.

I think that's a fair assessment to be fair...unless others are seeing something different??

Agree 100%. IMO the last couple of runs haven't been as good but I never jumped on the joy train to begin with. The trend is your friend as they say. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Doom and gloom? It's not doom and gloom, it is what it is. As it stands, anyone hoping for a convective E'ly with snow shower after snow shower is going to be disappointed (could still change).

Those hoping for some kind of battleground snowfall may be pleased. Anyone who likes it cold will be pleased. Anyone wanting an extended cold spell may be feeling slightly disappointed tonight.

I think that's a fair assessment to be fair...unless others are seeing something different??

Yep that’s a fair assessment. I’m in the happy brigade .... I think .. for now

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I see doom and gloom and people constantly looking for negatives. Cold and battleground snow (as you mention) is what many would take. What’s not to like?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

My main observations from tonight's euros are twofold

Firstly, the orientation of the high at 144 (at face value) is poor for the UK in terms of proper cold. Yes the surface will be chilly with a continental feed but snow chances are limited for now. 

EC and GEM at 144

IMG_3206.thumb.PNG.fd00688e4a91dd93eb476ef4062b1141.PNG

IMG_3207.thumb.PNG.833f7bbac116cb0c040ffda79cdb18d7.PNG

Secondly, and more positive for coldies in a way,  is how much mild air is entrenched over Greece and the majority of central Southern Europe!

HOW MANY TIMES have we seen the "potential" cold flow modelled to hit us at 144 ultimately end up heading down there!

Though with the temperature gradient between the cold encroaching south and the warm air coming north (to our east) then surely those SPOILER SHORTWAVES that will enevitably appear may actually help us by spinning up at the cold/mild boundary and help to advect the cold air to our shores. 

Something to watch IMO.

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, West is Best said:

GFS wins again.

How many times have we said it?

Gold standard model.

Folks I wasn't saying it won't be interesting and that we may see some fantastic developments. Merely that the sliding high scenario looks to have been called right by the GFS with the boundary event called by it. We shall see but I don't have any enthusiasm in suggesting it may have called this right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats good to hear Feb.

:clap:

Its obviously not like the op because there is always some skewer to a 50 member suite but its more of an Easterly component than the 216 this morning, looks like more members would undercut.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Decent ECM EPS 192 mean.

Unfortunately by t-300 the Atlantic comes into play. But too far out to be taken seriously. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather toad said:

Unfortunately by t-300 the Atlantic comes into play. But too far out to be taken seriously. 

Does it look like bulldozing through or plenty of snow chances with battlegrounds though.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Does it look like bulldozing through or plenty of snow chances with battlegrounds though.

Doesn’t look like it wants to come in easily.. furthermore it’s typically more exaggerated at this range so there’s the possibility it could stay pretty dry but very cold for longer.

The Atlantic will no doubt make a challenge that is inevitable.. 12-13th to watch for frontal snow. 

D91457EC-F7A7-42C7-AEB9-9A0659BE5A09.thumb.png.b903cf193cb31211c2ccd9bb86278aca.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Unfortunately the high slips east & South and the trough is sat over us. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
20 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Decent ECM EPS 192 mean.

graphe_ens3_yxt4.png:blink2: op seems to be out there on it's own.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Doesn’t look like it wants to come in easily.. furthermore it’s typically more exaggerated at this range so there’s the possibility it could stay pretty dry but very cold for longer.

The Atlantic will no doubt make a challenge that is inevitable.. 12-13th to watch for frontal snow. 

D91457EC-F7A7-42C7-AEB9-9A0659BE5A09.thumb.png.b903cf193cb31211c2ccd9bb86278aca.png

Sorry I was on about later on, yes I cant see it bulldozing through in the medium range.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

As per above can someone post the link to the Iceland Met EPS ENS again, laptop death = links gone ! EPS last night and showed the Op as an outlier - interesting to see  if the clustering has moved in line with the old adage the pack following the Hi Res..

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Eps is excellent support for the op and has further cooled through days 7-11. Plotted the last two ops are bang on the mean for down scaled T2 (not raw model). You couldn't want anything more for model consistency.

One thing that looks highly suspect from both extended range eps and gefs means is a notable lack of any discernible wave pattern across the NH. That never happens, so something will fill the void...

Its well outside the spread 850's wise though.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Sorry I was on about later on, yes I cant see it bulldozing through in the medium range.

Actually looking again, does look more battleground possibly. 

B675F0BD-612E-40AE-A053-58E83C32F2BF.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

As per above can someone post the link to the Iceland Met EPS ENS again, laptop death = links gone ! EPS last night and showed the Op as an outlier - interesting to see  if the clustering has moved in line with the old adage the pack following the Hi Res..

http://brunnur.vedur.is/kort/ec-ens/

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Weather toad said:

Actually looking again, does look more battleground possibly. 

B675F0BD-612E-40AE-A053-58E83C32F2BF.png

I like the chart with the contours, may I ask is that a subscription site or is it free?

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

I like the chart with the contours, may I ask is that a subscription site or is it free?

This ones a subscription site, but not expensive. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
9 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

graphe_ens3_yxt4.png:blink2: op seems to be out there on it's own.

But the mildest solution on 7th.

• Like 2