Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Looking through the ens for next week, quite a lot of them deliver.. esp north. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 minute ago, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

Looking forward to ecm snow fest we can only hope lol

I think tonight's ECM will be improved from this mornings run with stronger heights to the North and the Atlantic trough further East and better aligned from around mid month.

It may or may not show an Easterly.

Nothing has changed for me over the ;last few days. If we are to see an Easterly flow then shortly after mid month looks like the landing date.

If Atlantic forcing is too strong then we could still end up with a chilly NW flow, second prize if you like, especially for those in the SE.

There is enough in GFS ensembles to suggest there will be plenty of chopping and changing run to run over the next few days as the models try to get to grips with a finely balanced setup between blocking to the East and Atlantic trough to the West once more.

As with the last faile Easterly I don't think it is an easy call and so I won't bother. :D

I do feel a little more optimistic than I did with the last failed attempt though. Blocking is already in place unlike the last time we were chasing and there looks to be less reluctance to push more energy SE which other than the odd Op run the models were generally reluctant to do last time.

Onwards and upwards and whatever we call won't make the slightest bit of difference to the eventual outcome.

Egos and opinions at the ready fellow weather nuts, en garde!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
On 7 January 2018 at 17:59, SN0WM4N said:

TodayModele UKMO - Carte prévisions

YesterdayModele UKMO - Carte prévisions  Archives

Still amazing but it's getting to crunch time and GFS still isn't on board. 

How does today's UKMO 12z T+96 850 chart compare with those two?

Posted

As others have commented, I am intrigued by the number of gefs which dive the trough quite early on - we usually expect the gefs to be quite progressive. Of course there are plenty that are progressive and closer to the op but I wonder if ecm will go the same way? After all, it has been keenest to take the trough south thus far.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Looks like the Easterly is fighting for its life again:)

• Like 1

Posted

ECH1-144.GIF?12

ECH1-120.GIF?08-0

Yesterday 144 vs today 120, that's a pretty big change at such a short notice for the ECM 

gfsnh-0-120.png?12

GFS looking quite different too with that low over Ireland 

UN120-21.GIF?08-18

UKMO more similar to ecm 

Edited by ArHu3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowice said:

Looks like the Easterly is fighting for its life again:)

It is on the ecm!!way less progressive compared to this mornings rub!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Connor Bailey Degnan said:

Looking through the ens for next week, quite a lot of them deliver.. esp north. 

Don’t tellme, especially with elevation?

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

ECM 168 showing pm air from the West the front should dive south east.! Some one will get snow if uppers are cold enough. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Well the block isn't going anywhere on this run and looks like the high is retrogressing towards Greenland.  Not sure where this is going but it's different, I'll give it that!

ECH1-168.GIF?08-0  ECH0-168.GIF?08-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, ShortWaveHell said:

I’m no good with GEFS but Iv noticed the 15th being a consistent date for when the members seem to drop over the past 3/4 runs , some going really quite low , have you noticed that or am i utterly fatigued ?

Some of the interesting ensembles you may be talking about...

gensnh-3-1-168.thumb.png.61b6f54542a443bd6ba5923db9430b02.pnggensnh-5-1-162.thumb.png.2b5d5b45fed38b0a137b10267ce056a6.pnggensnh-6-1-168.thumb.png.075f3a1495bb015c35b550baa03d34a6.png

gensnh-10-1-168.thumb.png.ff3e965f78a0449e256744055e0d46ad.pnggensnh-12-1-180.thumb.png.ca6e6efb57d2aefa015789eee4d78361.pnggensnh-16-1-156.thumb.png.ff542d31e39345546aa705f30cae5d97.png

gensnh-17-1-180.thumb.png.26f85c43e8cf2d0159f88695d2c0c95d.pnggensnh-19-1-168.thumb.png.02b47f23d46d6390b672a7545cdeb108.pnggensnh-20-1-168.thumb.png.48deeebd32d67b4d4126f8d311d775e3.png

Edited by Day 10
  • Thanks 1

Posted

From champ to chump!

UKMO most progressive this evening with a bloated trough to the north and flatter in the east Pacific.

Both ECM and GFS are more amplified there.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

From champ to chump!

UKMO most progressive this evening with a bloated trough to the north and flatter in the east Pacific.

Both ECM and GFS are more amplified there.

I bet it's right this time ?

Posted

Uppers of between -7  in the north to -4 in the south east  it looks like again on this run midlands north could see some of the wintry stuff.  Seems to be a recurring pattern this winter  we shall see 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Uppers of between -7  in the north to -4 in the south east  it looks like again on this run midlands north could see some of the wintry stuff.  Seems to be a recurring pattern this winter  we shall see 

I'm just gonna put it in my signature now, you do not need uppers of -5 or below for snow, dew points are essential. ECM keeping the Easterly flame alive for a time.....

Edited by Snowmadsam

Posted
Just now, Snowmadsam said:

I'm just gonna put it in my signiture now, you do not need uppers of -5 or below for snow, dew points are essential. ECM keeping the Easterly flame alive for a time.....

From a north westerly ?  You sure 

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

From a north westerly ?  You sure 

Speaking from experience in Western Wales I am very sure :)

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowmadsam said:

I'm just gonna put it in my signiture now, you do not need uppers of -5 or below for snow, dew points are essential. ECM keeping the Easterly flame alive for a time.....

Yep, more slush for central and northern areas - yipee!

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
3 minutes ago, Snowmadsam said:

I'm just gonna put it in my signature now, you do not need uppers of -5 or below for snow, dew points are essential. ECM keeping the Easterly flame alive for a time.....

Most know this but after the years of slush we've had I think most are looking for a spell of cold weather in bane to Jan 2013 rather than the slider that happened last month.