Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted

Tonight’s gfs 18z is  very reminiscent of jan1984 if you look at the archives.

infact it’s actually colder than jan 84.

i actually hope it verifies just to see what the snowfall amounts would be in the Highlands of Scotland.

There were insane amounts in 84 with 30ft snowdrifts in the highlands

this look even more insane ,bring it on:yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Does seem to be a regional bias to thinking how the models will pan out looking at alot of posters locations!

1. If you live anywhere but the SE of England = polar maritime westerly / northwesterlies likely to win out

2. If you live in the SE of England = the Atlantic may not win out because blocking is underestimated, the Atlantic break through / Pm flow is not in the reliable timeframe anyway, look east at cold continental flow, etc.

Me, I think there's a good chance that the Atlantic trough axis will remain intact and push through close to the north of UK, with a PM flow ensuing, but it maybe more delayed (day or 2) than models indicate, increasingly cold surface flow off continent before then.

Thank you for noticing this, lots of IMBYism to whatever delivers snow to their neck of the woods, not very helpful for newcomers to understand what is happening... The models aren’t doing too well either which kinda causes this issue..

Edited by OfficialKevWX
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Certainly no IMBYism from my perspective. I live on low ground so PM flows are never certain to deliver. 

I would be just as happy with a deep cold PC flow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Some of us benefit equally from both strong westerlies and also easterlies, being slap band in the middle, the only thing I don't want is the middle ground where both cancel each other out and nothing happens! The models are pretty much decided on a westerly regime now, anyway, so it's making the most of whatever is likely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, ukpaul said:

Some of us benefit equally from both strong westerlies and also easterlies, being slap band in the middle, the only thing I don't want is the middle ground where both cancel each other out and nothing happens! The models are pretty much decided on a westerly regime now, anyway, so it's making the most of whatever is likely.

Exactly.... 

As I've been saying, no man's land benefits no one. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
16 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Same here really.  I have no real preference on direction as long as the outcome produces cold and snow.  I fear we may be 'stuck in the middle' for a little while longer yet though!

• Like 3

Posted

GFS has a tame continental flow up to the start of the new working week for SE England I suspect there will be severe frosts by how how slack the flow is, at least wintry dependant on your take.

PM incursion could have some longevity to it upgraded at T180 colder upper air temps and more widespread.

3CB76F78-4DC2-4BE6-9987-3E2EA2C61D13.thumb.png.afa2475054525daa2123de6560d46377.png61CC9330-5C75-468D-848C-02F0B952A284.thumb.png.c3a06cc44cd3df0efb9c8d883932adb5.png

• Like 1

Posted

Likewise UKMO keeps it cold continental up to the start of the new working week for the east. The lack of cold air is quite abysmal pity as this low could have been a snow maker for the far S.

712BE603-FDDA-4C82-909D-07C8D1345BF8.thumb.gif.b8b38a0de8318b3774343def0192963b.gif8DEB960E-BA25-4EBC-AF7F-72BB040E02AB.thumb.gif.92baae6bb39a8cdebc64fb434c6a15e2.gif

Posted

Wintry possibilities again being modelled possibly just about anywhere that trough nestling into Europe quite striking this is for us coldies, with height rises in interesting places, cold air, and very cyclonic flow.

A289D729-016E-4653-9326-81A6E2D1B026.thumb.png.3b74176233c66159be6c413e1b2ec647.pngF79B8024-0581-4A6D-9C7F-FB321155682D.thumb.png.4f182045895c5390c72ab8f156a9c73f.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The NW would get buried if GFS 00z came off but a sustained NW flow with -5 to -8 uppers seems very unlikely.

gfsnh-0-222.pnggfs-1-228.pnggfs-2-234.png

And just for good measure the arctic high joins forces with an Atlantic ridge to keep things interesting in deep FI

gfsnh-0-264.png

Should of been a pub run.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

GFS is very nice through FI

The trend for a continued -AO is gathering pace

gfsnh-0-252.png

Plenty of winter for everyone on this run...and I suspect this may be just the curtain raiser...

I must admit I’ve given up on the easterly we all desire for now, it would take a drastic turnaround. When I call it quits you know it’s not good! At least what’s becoming increasingly clear we’ll see the quite dull pattern replaced by a mobile cold flow. Some dynamic weather beats this stagnant pattern we’re seeing currently, even I think I may see some snow from this. I’m liking the continuity further ahead from GFS long may it continue. 

• Like 2

Posted

-8 hpa Approaching from the west.Thats unusual and would bring snow to many.Is the strength of the wind stopping the moderation of the air as it crosses the Atlantic Ocean?

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

-8 hpa Approaching from the west.Thats unusual and would bring snow to many.Is the strength of the wind stopping the moderation of the air as it crosses the Atlantic Ocean?

Not so much the strength that will add to the rawness it’s the source off the Greenland icecap very cold. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
7 hours ago, booferking said:

Ireland will be in southerly winds tomorrow with a band of rain pushing in from the Atlantic then on towards western parts of Scotland & England.

This has been modelled for quite sometime from gfs.

Screenshot_20180108-221130.png

it has... But thats as far as it gets.

Point i am trying to make is that the point when the pv trough makes it past the uk is delayed every run on nearly all model runs. We seem to have been looking at 96 to 144hr mark since the turn of the year lol.

I for one accept no true deep cold easterly is coming that would deliver the white stuff. But do beleive the block is putting up a good fight and with every attempt from the atlantic things slightly change in the outcome there after.

To be honest, i want it to happen sooner rather than later... Benign weather does nothing to me :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Nice overnight runs so far and some severe cold over Siberia in fl on the gfs!

464A8E77-0C48-4528-A4D5-4070C3F70545.thumb.png.574688173207bb290a7c2bdab8ccb912.png

I’m glad we are over Easterly-gate, I For one never expected the easterly to happen, which I documented on several occasions ? ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Cross-model agreement on Trough making a breakthrough @ 144hrs... however GFS sends it more to the north...gfs-0-144.thumb.png.0be3368a857a5e18a19bdda548c4f0db.png

UKMO and EC send it further south over the uk...ECM1-144.thumb.GIF.2a62c7fb09e0794de813477be5e9fbad.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Ensembles suggesting a cool down next few weeks...  NWly flow.. cool/cold polar maritime airflow. No beast from the east (yet). t850Aberdeenshire.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Morning all. All models this morning keep the block in place to start the weekend. At 96h still will be a cold surface flow with an easterly component. Overall these latest runs are a bit less progressive than yesterdays. Expect further changes today in the shorter term outputs as the block looks very resilient . At models by the medium term 144t show the Atlantic trough making headway, but the position, timing and crucial alignment will change from run to run. However, its the period of resistance to the block out to 120h that shows greatest interest to me  and looks unresolved yet as to where we will be looking to by weekend. 

C

C

GFSOPEU00_96_1.png

Yes carinthian just compared yesterdays 120 hour chart from ukmo and ecm to todays 96 hour charts and the block is definately stronger and further west by around 200 miles!!yes the atlantic will break through but we could have a snowy battle before hand!!

• Like 1