Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Even modest elevations towards the NW of the UK are absolutely pasted on this run

gfsnh-0-198.png

gfsnh-1-204.png?0?0

Snow totals on hills could be quite significant if the above came to pass.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
22 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Even modest elevations towards the NW of the UK are absolutely pasted on this run

gfsnh-0-198.png

gfsnh-1-204.png?0?0

Snow totals on hills could be quite significant if the above came to pass.

Yep i would say the Midlands Northwards it's almost identical to what the Midlands was plastered with in December. That is some cold air coming from the west also minor adjustments will hopefully put the rest of the UK in the game. But this looks a very snowy run I would like to be in the Peak district if this came off as modelled. Do you think the block would stall the front and if so will it help or hinder the upper temps.

Edited by snowstorm27x
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, snowstorm27x said:

Yep i would say the Midlands Northwards it's almost identical to what the Midlands was plastered with in December. That is some cold air coming from the west also minor adjustments will hopefully put the rest of the UK in the game. But this looks a very snowy run I would like to be in the Peak district if this came off as modelled. Do you think the block would stall the front and if so will it help or hinder the upper temps.

Well, the less time the air mass spends over the sea, the less modification of the uppers will occur. With this in mind we wouldn't want to see the low pressure held up for too long. 

That being said, the block is enabling the jet to angle nw-se and thus the LP to elongate- this means that there is less modification from TM air entering the circulation than you would usually see with a low pressure system. 

It's a very very interesting set up, and that's without taking into account disturbances in the flow that could deliver to wider areas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, snowstorm27x said:

Depends where you call the Midlands , we had 20cm in December, 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Just an example at 204 hours, the 00Z GEM manages to clear the Atlantic trough approaching from the West next week East into mainland Europe pulling in a chilly Northerly/North-Easterly flow over the U.K. Probably some heavy wintry showers in places!

40A24F0B-87A7-4014-B938-CF46FAE58BD8.thumb.png.6756274940ed4f80aca6c1ced8af83a9.png

EB815003-EC4D-4E60-BC16-F139D266BCC0.thumb.png.f2d7c53fdc7f26170e38c1961ca87443.png

(Worth saying that the GEM tends to under-estimate the coldness of the 850 hPa temperatures - would expect those upper temperatures to be at least a degree or two colder)

GFS 00Z concentrating the Atlantic trough more to the North of the British Isles around the same time frame, hence more of a Polar Maritime North-Westerly feed over the U.K. Either way, both scenarios do look chilly overall. 

Looking at both the GFS and GEM runs at 144 hours, and you can see they both show differences to the orientation and shape of the Atlantic Low/Trough:

GEM 00Z

3CDFD91D-F6E0-4EEF-A934-40ED85A9E1DF.thumb.png.48f4bbe78fb52d658bb4da17823fda0c.png

GFS 00Z

F231DC51-CE28-433F-A6BD-459369D7EFFF.thumb.png.7739c548230e9ab18e9f7929a0101ae7.png

The GFS shows more of a ball-shaped Atlantic Low. It’s a little less squashed and not as negatively tilted compared to that of the GEM run. The blocking to the North-East over Scandinavia exerts less influence on the Atlantic trough on the GFS, whereas more pressure seems to be exerted on the Atlantic trough from the Scandinavian blocking on the GEM run. More in the way of ridging over Northern Greenland too which I think helps! Plus, upstream towards Eastern Northern America, the pattern seems a little more amplified on the GEM 00Z at 144 hours.

I think these aspects seem to be some of the things that help disrupt and force the Atlantic trough South-East into mainland Europe on that GEM run more quickly and easily than on the GFS 00Z run. 

Maybe some things to look out for on future runs (just my opinion away, but I admit I’m not an expert on this kind of stuff) :) 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Purga said:

Just wait until everything corrects south BA :pardon::D

If the new ec op is sniffing a new evolution in removal of the polar high, we are heading north, not south with no mid Atlantic amp to draw the Azores ridge west, it will push its influence east into Europe somewhat = no euro troughing and general cool zonality for us maintained but with more wnw tha nnw and more big warm sectors. Not the direction of travel most envisaged. Anyway, many will hope that its just jumped to another cluster, temporarily. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
18 minutes ago, carinthian said:

latest runs still have no break through. The block seems even more resistant this morning. Each attempt by the Atlantic  gets repelled as shown on the charts below. Note how the increasingly powerful 300mb jet again splits west of the British Isles. That's indicative of a strong block in place. How long can it continue to hold the Atlantic trough pushing through ? According to the models by 120h. However, again, I have a feeling this could yet be put back by at least another 24 hours. The longer the block holds , the greater chance of further trough disruption that may lead to snow in the longer term charts ( 7 o 9 days time ) . I will get back with further thoughts from our experts later today for those who are interested.

C

ARPOPEU00_96_1.png

ARPOPEU00_96_21.png

Good post @carinthian 

Just to emphasise to everyone that he is using the ARPEGE there and in a situation like this where even the short range is so uncertain, use of the higher res short range models is very pertinent. *edit, have included t+96 on ECM, GFS and ARPEGE for comparative purposes. The high seems sturdiest on ARPEGE, with such variation even the weekend remains uncertain.

ECMOPEU00_96_1.png

GFSOPEU00_96_1.png

ARPOPEU00_96_1.png

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

This just gets more intriguing every morning. Looks like NWly flow will prevail.. bringing a cooling trend for by day 7 to 10. Snow defo possible yo NW and higher ground western parts start of next week. However, afterthat it looks like a bit of a battle between east v west... it really depends on how far the scandi block manages to progress westwards. Could be significant snowfall events for those further South as that colder air hits atlantic fronts. Also watching that SSW event on Fl as this could change everything. 

• Like 1

Posted

Thankfully UKMO heading towards GEM output this morning.

UKMOPEU00_144_1.pngGEMOPEU00_144_1.png

A big headache for the models coming up with regards to the trough and how much energy heads SE.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, ukpaul said:

On some ensemble members maybe still but, once those lower uppers coming from the west have gone, i think they aren’t coming back. The sterile cold shown from the east is okay if you just want dry cold but I don’t think people are looking for that.

Should have mentioned, I only looked up to 240h in the high res, not FI.

Me too I meant the cold is building in the east, it will be cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Ahhh the phantom warming doing a Mr Ben.

Screenshot_20180110-073054.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Plenty of cold zonal unsettled weather next week with wintry ppn, frosts and ice..some parts would get a good dump of snow, especially with some elevation..looks far more interesting next week than this week!!:D:cold: 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Very much standard winter fare this morning on the models medium term No blow torch I'll grant you ,but typical westerly/ northwesterly airstream stuff really, yes there could be some snow for those at elevation midlands northwards but thats always the case in non blowtorch conditions anyway. certainly nothing unusual. Lets hope that GP's and Catacols musings about hieght rises to thr north later in the month show some promise otherwise its going to be a long winter searching for some meaninful snow fall down here in south Dorset.

• Like 4

Posted

The coldest uppers are getting watered down a bit next week. Looks more like transient sleet/snow now with a lot of cold rain. As others have mentioned it's typical winter fare for mid January 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

Pretty uninspiring stuff this morning with GFS ensembles predicting a general cooling trend but nothimg to stir the soul. Not much scatter either for the next week.

688955B4-561C-45B2-AE1D-5297C26821E5.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, supernova said:

Pretty uninspiring stuff this morning with GFS ensembles predicting a general cooling trend but nothimg to stir the soul. Not much scatter either for the next week.

688955B4-561C-45B2-AE1D-5297C26821E5.png

Yep, just bog standard unsettled chilly winter weather. More along folks, nothing to see here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Ecm 00z looks quite wintry next week, especially further north and I'm sure there would be significant amounts of snow further north with a strong blast of cold zonality..:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Ecm 00z looks quite wintry next week, especially further north and I'm sure there would be significant amounts of snow further north with a strong blast of cold zonality..:)

The ECM for the last two runs haven't been that good, The day 5 Chart is showing a temporarily South Westerlies and the Cold Zonality is still out at day 6.

• Like 3

Posted

After last nights excitement its a bit of a hangover this morning.

From early doors the GFS was never going to repeat last nights runs with too much energy east less going se'wards.

It's not like we're dealing with a rampant PV stuck to the north , it looks pretty disorganised but theres a lack of amplification upstream to drive lower heights further se.

The ECM is even more progressive this morning. The 850's look on the cool side so some snow for the north with elevation. Perhaps  a shortwave might develop and run east at the base of the trough which might spring a surprise.

It's not a horror show by any means but we really don't want to see any more flattening.

The UKMO looks a bit more amplified but the overall pattern is similar.

• Like 3