Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
5 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Whilst the initial easterly is as dead as a dodo (was it ever even alive?), the GFS as shown here does signpost a possible route forward that may be of more interest. 

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=222&mode=0

Even from this point there are no guarantees but I'd take that as a starting point.

To be fair don’t think you can say was it ever alive

as posts and charts were posted to say it was

sorry mods

Edited by snowbob

Posted

Id rather take the Beasterly gfs is showing in fl instead even if it doesn’t appear very long lasting

• Like 1

Posted

Funny watching how GFS thrashes around trying to revert to climatology as soon as it goes low res after 240. 

Very positive run this evening for once. 

Posted

Nice GFS 18 hrs run I would have liked to see the trough sink se a little quicker but it finally gets there.

Hands up who still wants a PM flow slush fest! :D

This is only possible because the block hangs on. I’d rather take my chances and gamble slush for a bigger prize .

• Like 5

Posted

finally gets there in the end - but way out in fI for the moment - could just be 18z pub run, or maybe it's onto something - but what a long road to take

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

So the block to the east still the main player to where we go into next week. Really need it to insert itself a little more to push the main pv trough more se when it eventually arrives. This may lead to trough going into europe on a more southerly/ south easterly route to allow high to build over it to introduce the goods as per gfs 18z

Maybe just maybe

Edited by doctor32

Posted

Oneupmanship sickens me. This is a weather model discussion thread, and we're discussing the weather models, fair play Steve Murr You got the backtrack to the models backing westward and confirming your theory, but I still don't see the beast from the east you alluded to. I admire your excellent knowledge of model behaviour and I admire your resilience sticking to your guns, but until the NWP start to show this beast from the east, I will not be convinced... I have seen too many failures for my liking. I don't do well from NW'lys either, and would love a E'ly, but I just am not convinced.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Sadly, another step back for a more organised trough, poorer uppers, disconnected from the colder feed that made the previous GFS runs more effective, weaker winds. The general idea is good but I fear that the much more marginal setup as per the 18z will stick and it will be rain apart for Cumbria and Scotland, -5 instead of -6 or 7 isn’t going to cut it, especially without elevation. To add insult to injury another weak, dry block over us to finish. At least we have a SSW...

Still, only six hours until we get another solution, maybe this is a transition that builds the heights to our north and we can get a stronger feature across us again later. 

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
12 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

That was always the expectation anyway in terms of energy sliding SE under the high - the models have already significantly backtracked on the Atlantic over the last 24-48 hours-

If people in the west /NW want snow they need the Scandi High to support the acute NW flow -

In term of the Easterly I’m happy with the forecast - the call was 5-6 days ago now when no model was on board - now every model is on board & still pushing west- it’s only the depth of the upper air people are frustrated at -

How many countless members were calling the GFS a success - When it looked like this

1BE8B7EA-71CC-4049-A300-66A9CF506594.thumb.png.6efc05318000a0d5287e238766966aca.png

yet now this is the reality 

498D09A4-422E-41BF-B6E9-2E7A504D85B3.thumb.png.4a311127e5d63835cad043e462d26e66.png

At the end of the day it seems you & a couple of others keep stressing out about the Easterly- everyone else is letting it evolve ...

i'm not stressing about it, i've just never thought the block was strong enough to deliver a significant easterly, which it isn't. (though i would have loved it to) i did hope however, that it would send the jet south as the atlantic came in along with those very cold uppers and thats what the 18z is hinting at. in doing so, it could leave us which a chance of a greenland high, or at least allow an easterly flow along the northern flanks of LP systems. i just think the scandi high needed a kick up the @rse to give us something better along the line.

edit- there you go-

gfsnh-0-252.thumb.png.538c69461558cf83f1eb6a8fbb0f87b5.png

something along those lines. first hints of that "something better" i mentioned.

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 1

Posted

As that saying goes you can put lipstick on slush but it’s still slush! :D

The GFS 18 hrs run solution isn’t really that outlandish it’s the same overall pattern as earlier but just a different view of the trough disruption .

We’ll see in the morning whether this trend continues .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Never verify but that's a boom set up by day 10.5

Just wait until everything corrects south BA :pardon::D

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

As that saying goes you can put lipstick on slush but it’s still slush! :D

The GFS solution isn’t really that outlandish it’s the same overall pattern as earlier but just a different view of the trough disruption .

We’ll see in the morning whether this trend continues .

The best thing about this evolution is that it makes sense from where we are now. By day 9 its so good that it takes low res the rest of the run to undo all the good work :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Well we finally get to see what could happen if we retain the blocking to the NE and then the Pacific amplification keeps at bay the next major trough that preceding runs have kept on throwing into the N. Atlantic.

The height rises joining from the N Atlantic days 9-10 have that forced look about them. Maybe a bit hasty in the response but the broad idea makes sense. Usual bias issues lower-res but manages to produce some interesting charts regardless.

This is of course assuming that we see the anticipated GLAAM changes with MJO assist. Catacol has well summarised the caveats there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Strat warming even more aggressive on this run.

Unfortunately a tweet from Ian f said Glosea5 is only showing a low probability in the ensembles so I wouldn’t go pining your hopes on a SSW at the moment 

things could change though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
10 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

At the end of the day it seems you & a couple of others keep stressing out about the Easterly- everyone else is letting it evolve ...

With all due respect Steve, it is your assertions that have evolved-

The modelling has collectively moved to a middle ground scenario, as was always going to be the case. No deep cold E'ly and an Atlantic trying to make inroads and meeting some resistance. What happens beyond this week is irrelevant in terms of your predictions last week. The pattern going forward was always going to be of interest (something that has been signposted fairly strongly by a few on here).

The E'ly that was shown (cold uppers inclusive) on the ECM and GEM at 192 last week has failed and not arrived...this despite you telling us day after day the other modelling would evolve to it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, fromey said:

Unfortunately a tweet from Ian f said Glosea5 is only showing a low probability in the ensembles so I wouldn’t go pining your hopes on a SSW at the moment 

things could change though

Yes _ I posted about that in the strat thread.

Posted
Just now, Jason M said:

The best thing about this evolution is that it makes sense from where we are now. By day 9 its so good that it takes low res the rest of the run to undo all the good work :D

Yes if you look across all the outputs they have the same pattern. It’s not like the GFS has pulled out a completely different NH pattern.

Some luck is needed though , the early stages are quite crucial.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Nice GFS 18 hrs run I would have liked to see the trough sink se a little quicker but it finally gets there.

Hands up who still wants a PM flow slush fest! :D

This is only possible because the block hangs on. I’d rather take my chances and gamble slush for a bigger prize .

926F0AE6-F1F8-46E6-A984-0FFC1CED70E8.gif.eaeafeb608fc0745b9d34e8c21ef697a.gif

Harder the struggle, the more glorious the triumph ☺️

Edited by karlos1983