Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I actually think the Ecm 12z looks decent next week, rather cold and unsettled with a risk of snow, at least on hills and some frosty / icy nights..a lot more interesting than this week anyway!!:)

• Like 2

Posted

It's high time the JMA had it's 15 minutes of fame and out gunned the other models for once in it's miserable life. 

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Lol- speed charge-

UKMO 168 similar to JMA 168-

was just going to ask if your still sniffing round mate :D

Like i said, a hell of a lot of energy going SE..

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Lol- speed charge-

Eh? The JMA has the centre of the low over north west France. The ukmo has it between northern Ireland and Iceland at the same time frame.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bobby93 said:

The longer the block holds on the better imo, once the Atlantic breaks through we'll be starting all over again.

If this block could push further north and west slowly over the next few days output, you just never know what may happen.

We shouldn't wish a block in such a position away so quickly, if by the weekend it's still modelled to be pushed away then fair enough. But if over the next few days it could just sneak a little further towards us anything is possible.

Absolutely right. All this wishing away the block really isn't the way forward and what's more, I don't think the block is going anywhere fast!

I get the hatred for no mans land scenario, I'll take my chances with potentially having to put up with that for a while though.

Truth is, we don't need much more than a relatively small upstream tweak (as in stronger upstream forcing and more amplification) and we are right back in the game. If / when the models pick up this signal, the charts and ens will change overnight (or during the day).

The JMA is interesting and highlights a scenario I alluded to yesterday. One that frankly I am surprised hasn't been toyed with more by the models. Where the initial Atlantic enrgry clears through and underneath much quicker...

JN192-21.thumb.GIF.68dcbb46936d18d5d9081ee66194ef30.GIF

Be nice for the outsider to score a victory and highlights why a few are, quite rightly IMO, still not giving up on the quicker easterly scenario. However, It shouldn't be classed as a cannon fodder model.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Like i said, a hell of a lot of energy going SE..

From a coldies point of view, better the energy going SE than NE..could be a lot worse!!:D

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Lol- speed charge-

Steve its weird you would av thought the ecm would follow the ukmo at the very least with the way the 72 hour chart looked!!i still dont think the block is getting blown away that easily!!i think it will be further west tomorrow at 72 at 96 hours!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

JMA showing the two pressure attacks on Greenland beautifully:

tempresult_twg4.gif

• Like 5

Posted

Interesting spreads on the ECM ensembles .  For the timeframes involved T120hrs and T144hrs that’s unusually large both to the south and north of the UK and that continues well into the run.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Look at where the JMA ends up though, that cut off low has no backup, no incoming undercuts, no substantial cold pool to the east, Azores high shouldering its way in. it leads to something as poor as ECM, except drier and warmer.

An elongated trough right down through Europe, also helping to suppress the Azores high, heights shunted north and west to Greenland meeting up with the remnants of the Alaskan ridge  and then you’re talking. In the meantime PM air may bring snow showers even to low levels and down the line, northerlies or easterlies may happen with an actual decent embedded cold pool.

JN192-21_vjn1.GIF

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 1

Posted

If jma is correct,where are the cold uppers.minus 4 is pathetic in an Easterly.The North Westerly predicted next week is a lot colder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

How’s that for a 240 Mean.

DBAED636-44F6-4771-B5E9-852A8C5C84E9.thumb.png.993205f5a22766d789c047efd02b10ef.png

someome let me know when you find the PV ?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
26 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Lol- speed charge-

And JMA is a rated model by the MO, I remember Fergie saying so

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, snowice said:

ECM gfs UKmo say no!

Do you believe the output will change in the 120 range?

UKMO doesn’t say no?

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

I notice the JMA is the new GEM lol.

Funny how the minor models get an airing when they show colder options☺

For me the main models agree in it turning quite cold next week with hill snow very much in the forecast. A kind of as you were look about it as we did well from this before Christmas. Doubts over how cold though and the 850s look marginal at times. Still the trends are certainly improving

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Interesting spreads on the ECM ensembles .  For the timeframes involved T120hrs and T144hrs that’s unusually large both to the south and north of the UK and that continues well into the run.

Ecm has been consistent in having a low spread on the lw trough through n Scotland and extending se into Europe - in line with the ens mean 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ecm has been consistent in having a low spread on the lw trough through n Scotland and extending se into Europe - in line with the ens mean 

The spread is the largest to the south and north at T144 hrs. So the mean might show agreement but there’s obviously solutions which vary quite widely.

Posted
38 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Do you have access to the ensemble? From the de Bilt plume I can see there finally is little uncertainty until Sunday 

Screenshot_20180109-212942.png

Screenshot_20180109-213214.png

Edited by ArHu3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening everyone! The no mans land of weather continues for a few days yet, but the signal is fairly strong for a breakthrough from the Atlantic. However , some very cold air spilling towards the uk from Northwesterly winds carrying some very cold Artic air as we move into next week, plenty of potential for snow and not just on high ground. As always the devil will be in the detail but some very interesting weather to come by the time we hit next week....:cold:

stanton.png

stantonx.png

tumblr_nfjlxiKuGS1t1nar6o1_500.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

image.thumb.png.16ae8b52123217d90e27b271330ec88c.png