Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm not fussy what form my snow takes...as long as it falls from the sky, is white and sticks I'm happy.

Here are the thicknesses

hgt500-1000.png

For a near W'ly flow, that is about as non-marginal as you can hope for...

That's some thickness values for a NW'ly. We haven't seen that in a while....

Edited by Dean E
Wrong terminology. I need a break.

2 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Spot on, but not what you alluded to a couple of days ago Steve. I'd love you to admit it went a bit stodgy, you make me feel like I am a fool with my own personal predictions, until the close time frames come out and I'm proven more correct... Love that you can predict the the bias of the models though, that's a skill I'd love to have!

I did in a roundabout way on the previous page :)

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Can’t remember the date in the archives but there is 1 chart with a -10c into Ireland & Wales with a WSW flow ! 

1? :-) 

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

I'm not fussy what form my snow takes...as long as it falls from the sky, is white and sticks I'm happy.

Here are the thicknesses

hgt500-1000.png

For a near W'ly flow, that is about as non-marginal as you can hope for...

Those are very low thicknesses sub 516 dam air I can just work out over NW Wales and a fair chunk of Ireland that is very impressive and rare you do not see that often, from continent not that usual. Proper cold zonal.

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

I did in a roundabout way on the previous page :)

I didn't see that!! Apologies!

Looking N and W for now, maybe I can drive 25 miles to Wicklow for next week, I can build a snowman!!!

Early morning , late at night . Gripped by this forum. Love reading some huge insights that many on here offer. Keeps novices like me addicted :). Just a general question ?.  Has anyone ever seen the Atlantic so cold at this time of the year , it literally looks freezing and traditionally east was always the cold beast and the West mild with colder shots maybe...thoughts ?

Edited by Khalid Mahmood

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A few days ago, there were one or two ensemble members hinting at those thicknesses, even showing the 510 DAM across parts of the country - all spreading in from the West. The origin of the air is obviously favourable for those kind of figures. Quite interesting I would say?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

More evidence as to why it's worth looking NW! This is the constant trend from the GFS. I'm expecting a minor warming in the stratosphere. I haven't got time to show charts at the moment. But the charts are showing in the date ranges as per predictions from teleconnections professionals on here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 18z looks quite wintry from next week, quite exciting with some cold / very cold zonality at times along with some snow, potentially a lot of snow for favoured areas and some very frosty / icy nights too..more interesting than this week!!:D:cold-emoji:❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

18_216_preciptype.png

18_312_preciptype.png

18_360_preciptype.png

18_288_mslp850.png

18_312_uk2mtmp.png

18_312_ukthickness850.png

18_312_ukthickness.png

18_252_uk2mtmpmin.png

18_276_uk2mtmpmin.png

• Like 4

The mid term (as well as the 72-96) is still developing & that cut off low looks a distinct possibility 

look for it to continue to be modelled further south in forthcoming runs as well as the Atlantic being further west-

S

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The mid term (as well as the 72-96) is still developing & that cut off low looks a distinct possibility 

look for it to continue to be modelled further south in forthcoming runs as well as the Atlantic being further west-

S

Was gona say steve that low is a lot shallower on the gfs 18z and control at 120 hours!!would not be surprised to see it pushes further west and south tomorrow!!could be a surprise or two!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

That cut off low was exactly what @Catacol has been alluding too recently. Great reading from the pros lately - thanks for all your input ??

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Was gona say steve that low is a lot shallower on the gfs 18z and control at 120 hours!!would not be surprised to see it pushes further west and south tomorrow!!could be a surprise or two!!

Am I stuck in some kind of time warp?

This very thing has been said day after day for the past 4 days. Time to look past the 'easterly' now and focus on the direction of travel day 7 +

• Like 3

This very thing has been said day after day for the past 4 days. Time to look past the 'easterly' now and focus on the direction of travel day 7 +

No time warp - the problem is your cold zonality keeps getting pushed back from said Easterly source...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The cold zonal 'breakthrough' keeps getting pushed back too.  More drama to come yet in this epic East West battle I reckon!

I actually like the look of tonight's GFS run and would like to experience it but I am far from convinced it will pan out like that.....

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

No time warp - the problem is your cold zonality keeps getting pushed back from said Easterly source...

Steve-

Modelling perhaps a 'tad' progressive bringing in the PM flow and is adjusting accordingly. All we are seeing is the UK spending a little longer in no-mans land. Deep cold uppers from the E are not getting any closer to us, regardless of whether the block-Atlantic skirmish drags on another day or two.

The end game in the mid term looks set.

P.S the Atlantic is in at day 6

gfsnh-0-150.png?18

ECH1-144.GIF?08-0

UN144-21.GIF?08-18

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

What I would say though is going forward for the final third of winter, I am the most confident (if you can call it that) I have been in last 4 years that a potent Easterly can be achieved at some point, we keep this slider / PM / Jet south scenario recurring and we keep seeing scadi heights  either occurring or being modelled in FI with stonking pacific ridges all winter, all we need to do is put it all together in one go, the thing with me though is I wont dwell once the first chance has gone, I look for the next, I would like to see more slicing of the strat vortex soon, the wave 2 pattern is definitely evident, just need the knife to go through the butter and boom February looms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Low has only just stared moving SE in models. If it stays modelled that way could change everything after it. Like I've been saying the models are still changing in the short term. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Steve-

Modelling perhaps a 'tad' progressive bringing in the PM flow and is adjusting accordingly. All we are seeing is the UK spending a little longer in no-mans land. Deep cold uppers from the E are not getting any closer to us, regardless of whether the block-Atlantic skirmish drags on another day or two.

The end game in the mid term looks set.

I agree. I think people are still hanging on every run hoping that the drawn out process will cause the Atlantic lows to track further south, creating a 'backdoor' easterly.

Posted

Surely the retrogression of the high NW over the days ahead has to be watched though, i'm in no way saying it will be enough but it'll be a good watch.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Alexis said:

I agree. I think people are still hanging on every run hoping that the drawn out process will cause the Atlantic lows to track further south, creating a 'backdoor' easterly.

I can only assume that is the case.

I'd put my wages on it not happening how they are all desperately wishing. It's reminiscent of a bloke hanging on to fond memories of flirting with a hot girl in a club, praying she suddenly texts 4 weeks after they met, unable to move on because of the fixation. 

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Can’t remember the date in the archives but there is 1 chart with a -10c into Ireland & Wales with a WSW flow ! 

Off topic I know but there was an occasion in the late 1960s in  early December one Saturday when we received six inches of snow right to sea level on a west wind. Never seen such a black stormy sky in winter. until  late November 2010 on a north east wind.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

That is a little bit disrespectful and arrogant isn't it?

Not really, no. Unless the professionals are also being arrogant when they say the block will be overrun?

All in my opinion of course.

I generally have little time for hopecasting.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3