Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

12z Saturday: Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions  Archives

12z Sunday: Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

12z Monday: image.thumb.gif.5a6e303bb1a961c90051824b61ebb19f.gif

12z Monday-

UW96-7.GIF?08-18

You used a different perspective for that last chart.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

12z Monday-

UW96-7.GIF?08-18

You used a different perspective for that last chart.

Yeah I was looking for the one you found cheers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 minute ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Always admire and enjoy your upbeat enthusiasm Frosty but snow up north with some elevation is pretty standard fair even in an average winter. When you live five miles from the English channel just north of Weymouth you something pretty spectacular and barring a polar low it don't come from the northwest for us.

Cheers, just trying to lift the gloom that's descended but I'm hopeful there could be some decent cold zonality from early next week onwards with some wintry surprises, not just across the north.:)❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chevron12345 said:

Chasing Artic Highs/Ridging in FI is the new theme. The Scandi High was the big theme in December then was witten off late December but actually did appear this week...confusing. Give me a Greenie High modelled at 72 by UKMET please.

The current output on the UKMET is not shifting the Scandi high as fast as people are predicting. The ECM has some agreement too.

Yes both models kept the high close by at 120 hrs with a se flow.We need to see this continue in the next set of runs,or it really is game over I think.

BTW where are TEITS AND SM they were the ones saying they expected the Easterly to win out,but they seemed to have stopped posting,which is annoying as it be nice to hear what they think of the recent runs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All, so gloves are off and the battle between east and west For Now is finally settled ,before then nothing really mild on the cards even with the attempt of the Atlantic in the next few days with frost and fog to play with.....after that look west with some deep Polar Maritime air flooding our shores in the next ten days .:yahoo:

pendine.png

pendinex.png

pendinexx.png

pendinexxx.png

tumblr_nfjlxiKuGS1t1nar6o1_500.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, Frosty. said:

Cheers, just trying to lift the gloom that's descended but I'm hopeful there could be some decent cold zonality from early next week onwards with some wintry surprises, not just across the north.:)❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

Lets hope so Frosty followed by a greeny/scandi link up to give everyone a good chance of the white stuff. Keep posting Frosty because you definitely lift the mood my friend

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, mulzy said:

No support from the mean - clusters may reveal more later.

Probably a rogue run from the control - it's day 15 and JFF.

I know it's almost pointless discussing it, but what kind of evolution does it follow to get there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

Sunday 12z: image.thumb.gif.032041fb854bf93e362f25674ce819f5.gif

Monday 12z: image.thumb.gif.ae9bad41428fa5f5b1ca7a65c0366db2.gif

Cold 850s being undermined, but they are still there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

BBC weather outlook not very confident when will westerly will break down high to the east high looks like putting up more a fight than previously thought I think models are being progressive..

IMG_0361.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, abbie123 said:

BBC weather outlook not very confident when will westerly will break down high to the east high looks like putting up more a fight than previously thought I think models are being progressive..

Yes I’m not surprised when you look at 120 hours on ukmo and ecm.people ignoring the earlier time frame again:nonono:

• Like 4

Posted

Big temps difference  on the latest ec op for ththe end of the week down here compared to previous runs

Not much above freezing here Thursday and fri now 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Big temps difference  on the latest ec op for ththe end of the week down here compared to previous runs

As in, round these parts? Two hours ago local weather showed 9 degrees

Posted
28 minutes ago, Johnp said:

I know it's almost pointless discussing it, but what kind of evolution does it follow to get there?

Similar to the op to day 10 then little channel runner by day 11 and then main trough digs into Europe with Scandi high forming - all academic of course...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
22 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

IMG_0361.PNG

BBC:yahoo::nonono:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Continental SE flow - low Theta E values ...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I am not for one minute suggesting anything bitterly cold or snowy will come from it but I am less and less convinced that the Atlantic will properly break through looking at the model output as a whole today.

The breakdown appears to be stuck at Day 6 and moving no nearer.  The ECM in particular is eye opening in this regard.  I appreciate the Atlantic is full steam ahead at the moment but it does not really have anywhere to go except SE with more and more of the output suggesting that heights are to retrogress NW out of Scandi.

Is The Beast stirring after all?

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Just a point to take note of how continental air mass can influence temperatures. Pretty cold here now with a SE flow off the continent:

GFSOPME18_6_5-2.thumb.png.f6b663b6167e6d68e058c7bc84dd5d92.png

The 850 temps though are a lot higher though- towards 8 and later 10 degrees :

GFSOPME18_6_2.thumb.png.a7409b6b03711e0abad8a9f9c37f5e18.png

So one can imagine that if 850 temps were even just below 0 then the surface temperature could still be conducive for snow if precipitation was forecast.

Indeed it's bloody freezing down here! That being said, that might be because it's been a fairly mild winter for us so far.

iPersonally I'm not buying any Atlantic onslaught, probably no beasterly but I can't see a washout, I hope not anyway... hasn't bloody stopped raining recently! 

• Like 1

Posted

What gets my interest is the constant modeling of lots of areas of weak heights all around our North and Northeast, some don't even seem to be able to pinpoint where these heights are even coming from.

With our now rather hated Scandi still on the board i still have high hopes for a big surprise.

Ecm and Gem very early on had a fleeting glimpse of heights in a large area across our N/NE in the shape of a tantalising high and Easterly which was soon to disappear.

That whole area is going to be fun to watch between now and the weekend. 

• Like 4

Posted

I think Steve's post above asserts the opinion that rather then any model being right or wrong a mix of all 3 is quite often the resultant outcome.

Let folk be their own judge of the last 7 days. For me the GFS was most reliable in eroding the block enough that it wouldn't play a part for now......

In the meantime the trend is gathering pace of a colder spell towards the latter half of January 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

I think Steve's post above asserts the opinion that rather then any model being right or wrong a mix of all 3 is quite often the resultant outcome.

Let folk be their own judge of the last 7 days. For me the GFS was most reliable in eroding the block enough that it wouldn't play a part for now......

In the meantime the trend is gathering pace of a colder spell towards the latter half of January 

Funny how we see things different, i see the gfs constantly delaying the atlantic breakthrough due to the block being more stubborn. So very much playing a part in this setup. 

If gfs was correct some days ago we would be in the westerly flow now with low pressure over us.

• Like 4