Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Come on models get your acts together....All this talk of climatology and endless definite possibilities of an immanent beastly/easterly on it's way is starting to get a little :crazy:

All a know is that I would love to see that cold air over eastern parts of Europe 'AT SOME POINT' just make it to the UK :)

tempresult_qll0.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

According to the GEFS 6z mean we are looking at predominantly cold zonality though low res, especially further north with a generally polar influence with a risk of snow at times.❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄:) :cold:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Read Gael force post

Steve pretty big gfs 12z coming out now you would think!!if it improves then i think more than likely ecm and ukmo are on to something here!!if it doesnt then ecm and ukmo are probably leading us up the garden path here again!!it has to start on the 12z now!!!icon coming out now!!!

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Cheers mate...so what the hell are Exeter talking about ?

Well that was based on yesterday’s 12z run and they generally don’t amend the raw output unless they really feel the need to

If the 12z run is consistent then tonight’s issue will be worth waiting for to see if they go with it 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

According to the GEFS 6z mean we are looking at cold zonality though low res, especially further north with risk of snow at times.❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄:) :cold:

Indeed @Frosty., I was about to post the same sort of post!

A general outlook next week from all the Models so far from this morning is we basically have a chance of 2 scenarios...

1. A less pronounced Scandinavian block with a higher chance of Atlantic Zonal attacks, but moving more NW to SE direction. Akin to December 2017. (GFS is still out on its own with this)

2. A stronger Scandinavian block with a threat of a Easterly wind bring much colder uppers in from Russia. (ECM/UKMO)

Either way, the block never really leaves to the NE until post 192h on all models. With the GFS then going for cold zonal again in FI.

The GFS (as @Steve Murr  has been predicting for sometime now) is slowly moving more towards the ECM and UKMO, especially in the reliable timeframe.

I think the ECM needs time to adjust that breakdown, but that's miles off for now.

But as always, get the cold in first! (Its already below average for most of the UK today!!!!!!)

• Like 4

Posted
31 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Cheers mate...so what the hell are Exeter talking about ?

Not quite sure why so much talk about 120 fax chart it fits in nicely with there forecast you can see the fronts approaching Ireland & Scotland thursday then likely to give transient spell of snow across the Scottish mountains later on Friday and into Saturday then after it's likely zonal and maybe cold zonal at that?

Screenshot_20180107-150506.png

Edited by booferking

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

How this block breaks is rather as simple as models suggest, and expect flips at short lead times” is very telling. 

I always think stick to the models 5-7 days out and watch the story unfold. The rest no one knows until the next models run come out and the general consensus

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shaky said:

Steve pretty big gfs 12z coming out now you would think!!if it improves then i think more than likely ecm and ukmo are on to something here!!if it doesnt then ecm and ukmo are probably leading us up the garden path here again!!it has to start on the 12z now!!!icon coming out now!!!

Yes - I would like to zoom in on the T96 timeframe that’s where most of the GFS is seemingly doing its damage

273A913E-2F1B-4148-8B87-3DB0DC7CFA55.thumb.png.c0a9dabe742ec4a12db9611ba0e15308.png

The 2 shortwave need better seperation which in turn will allow the Scandi block to naturally filter NW...

icon better up to 66-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

I always think stick to the models 5-7 days out and watch the story unfold. The rest no one knows until the next models run come out and the general consensus

Personally with current synoptics I wouldn't look more than a couple of day into models and even the second day could change a bit.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 3

Posted

It should be noted that there has been little cold air associated with this blocking as it has been modelled thus far

if deeply cold uppers are advected into the equation around the south of the block then breaking it down becomes even more of an issue for the models 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, bluearmy said:

It should be noted that there has been little cold air associated with this blocking as it has been modelled thus far

if deeply cold uppers are advected into the equation around the south of the block then breaking it down becomes even more of an issue for the models 

Isn't this due to colder air being denser?

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

What about this morning's UKMO output though - decent cold pool in place by t144?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Its always interesting the read the differing views of posters looking at the output. I'm slways intrigued by the notion of what this forum would have been like in the run to 1947 or 1963 all other things being equal in terms of available model output etc.

• Like 6

Posted
52 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Iirc that was glosea5, I was trying to find that presentation again but couldn't maybe someone else has a link

Glosea5 just recently added to the mix. Models and runs are shown below.

Decider is a flexible package, designed to suit your needs. We can update your Decider subscriptions with any of the following options:

• Web access to ECMWF 15 day forecasts – updated twice daily
  • Web access to GEFS 16 day forecasts – updated four times daily
  • Web access to ECMWF 32 day forecasts – updated twice weekly
  • Web access to GloSea 51 day forecasts – updated daily
  • Web access to daily historic weather regime classifications from 1850 to present (available to download in CSV format). This data can be used to correlate weather regimes with a parameter of interest where historic records exist, such as weather observations, cases of high impact weather and even energy demand or supply. Once a relationship has been established, it becomes possible to forecast the likely consequences given a forecast for a particular weather regime. The number of specific forecast applications is potentially large.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/industry/energy/decider

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

So the focus time T90 ish

iKon 06z V Ikon 12z

notice the Easterly flow a lot stronger into Europe...

& magically the block is further north

02A0790C-8D01-47CB-AB0E-D63F053D5650.thumb.png.9d46d476e540ec905fc6de1da6ee5f3a.png9151F249-ECB3-4AC3-85A3-00A6C8DD5F93.thumb.png.c1bdcc6cbe0f6cad6ed8c502b4e88f71.png

lets hope the rest follow. its a tight situation to get to this easterly. despite my own doubts, i really do hope you have called this right. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

lets hope the rest follow. its a tight situation to get to this easterly. despite my own doubts, i really do hope you have called this right. :)

So do I-

GFS through 66 has better seperation this far -

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
9 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Its always interesting the read the differing views of posters looking at the output. I'm slways intrigued by the notion of what this forum would have been like in the run to 1947 or 1963 all other things being equal in terms of available model output etc.

Wretched Azores high and winter is over would have been the call In December 1946

archives-1946-12-27-0-0.png

Strange similarity don't you think as the new year came in

archivesnh-1946-12-31-0-0.png

Few days later

archives-1947-1-8-0-0.png

We can but dream.....come on Scandi you can do it

archivesnh-1947-1-10-0-0.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

gfs-0-78.png?6 gfs-0-72.png?12

All the small things... they count in situations like this. The LP by Iceland is further west and as Steve has just noted, the LP by the UK is separating a little better.

How much it counts, well that comes down to the model as much as anything. Some models will adjust more than others following such tweaks.

A truly fascinating period upon us with major shifts of momentum and forcing patterns too and fro.

gfs-0-78.png?12

Well then - a closed isobar for the southern LP already. I have been skeptical of our easterly chances (for several days now, a chilly ridge outcome has been my 'safe estimate') for sanity's sake but I am starting to wonder if the westerlies might just be subdued enough in our vicinity... hmm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

The updated ICON brings a cold westerly by the end of the run (180 hours). No sign of an easterly there.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/icone_cartes.php?&ech=180&mode=1&map=0&archive=0 

A cold westerly ties in with the GEFS 6z mean which shows cold zonality  becoming more likely beyond the week ahead!:)

• Like 4