Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

thing is, there hasn't been any sign of it for a good few runs. at best, a displaced vortex or a mild hint at warming. then suddenly...

Beats a 'displaced Bartlett'?:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I wouldn't mind some of that snow during FI  on the Gfs 12z, things really kick off during low res!:):cold-emoji:❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
8 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

thing is, there hasn't been any sign of it for a good few runs. at best, a displaced vortex or a mild hint at warming. then suddenly...

I thought someone posted one yesterday?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

PTB 1 and 3 are a good example of pathways where that low doesn't stall, either elongating or being pushed north. 

240h 

gensnh-1-1-240_sul4.png gensnh-3-1-240_rlx9.png

300h 

gensnh-1-1-300_gmw1.png gensnh-3-1-300_qcr8.png

360h

gensnh-1-1-360_lcy0.png gensnh-3-1-360_kgl6.png

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I think if folks want a a cold to very cold spell they are barking up the wrong tree cheerleading for the easterly. 

The chances of any significant cold getting dragged in is low thanks to the original direction of air from the high. Lots of middlish waa though, that could well just prolong a spell of rather boring weather. 

The large portion of pv needs to come out of Hudson. All the models tend to show this exiting  on a very favourable se axis down to the southern med. 

Once  this has happened heights should rise to the north east. 

The current high looks nice and I fully understand folks wanting to clutch to the near term straw but I fear it’s a false hope.  

And the gfs shows exactly why this needs to happen. I am very happy that all of the models are moving to the scenario of a quick easterly exit. Some of them maybe reluctantly. 

The key is how quickly the really cold air can lift out of the states and whether any surface highs form over there. 

A difficult time for Models. 

BA11A5FE-DE41-4D7B-9E7D-9376E4E8143B.png

702AEA91-6826-4610-AA21-33CBD7880A3C.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

This would be fun (if short lived).

PTB 17

gensnh-17-1-216_mfo4.png gensnh-17-0-216_qhl4.png

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

I thought someone posted one yesterday?

it might have been a minor hint at 'warmth' up there but i've not seen one at that intensity show up for a good while. if that did maintain and come to fruition, it has the makings of a major warming. also, people seem to overlook what's going on right now.-

gfsnh-10-6.thumb.png.4296fede4f9b49528bcef0d42c5d8592.png

by their very nature, a sudden stratospheric warming doesn't have to show up 2 weeks into the run then build from there. it could appear a week into the run and potentially be missed. partly due to the fact that most people aren't looking at the lower strat charts.

Edited by bobbydog
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, The Enforcer said:

I have observed this 'detached PV over UK synoptic' projected at range on several occasions over the years. Can anyone post a chart where it has actually happened?

Hi Enforcer, not a chart directly, but cross checking the dates of sightings Nacreous clouds over the UK would probably indicate the dates for charts that may show what you are after?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Ecm following ukmo:D the plot thickens. T120 gfs looks a bit different!!

IMG_0313.PNG

IMG_0314.PNG

IMG_0315.PNG

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 4

Posted
39 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

.... the omnipresent SSW at T+384.

It wouldn't be Winter in the model thread without one.

We must be due to get one down to T+0 soon though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

it might have been a minor hint at 'warmth' up there but i've not seen one at that intensity show up for a good while. if that did maintain and come to fruition, it has the makings of a major warming. also, people seem to overlook what's going on right now.-

gfsnh-10-6.thumb.png.4296fede4f9b49528bcef0d42c5d8592.png

by their very nature, a sudden stratospheric warming doesn't have to show up 2 weeks into the run then build from there. it could appear a week into the run and potentially be missed.

Sorry, Bobbydog, that's not true. SSW's don't suddenly appear out of nowhere on the charts - the trop precursors need to be in place and this then leads to the strat knock on - hence the ability to suggest that the models at 1hPa will start to show a warming trend well before they did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 hours ago, The Enforcer said:

I have observed this 'detached PV over UK synoptic' projected at range on several occasions over the years. Can anyone post a chart where it has actually happened?

A famous event would be valentine's day 1979, actually it happens all the time but that time it went just far enough south and east that we ended up on the good side

Edited by ArHu3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Think im liking the look of EC at 96 tonight- there is a signal for the Atlantic to disrupt here..

ECM running with the UKMO by the look of it.:)

ECM1-120.gif

ECM0-120.gif

• Like 2

Posted

i'm afraid it pretty much looks like we are locked into a no mans land territory right now - cold to the left - cold way over to the right - even cold and snow to the south of us - way south in Spain and North Africa - and us left in the neutral zone for the foreseeable - think it's time to face facts - have a mid-winter break from the models - re-charge your batteries and come back fresh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

EC siding with UKMO :good:

UN144-21.thumb.GIF.0a3b4ac65f307cc8e0f22d8b41639820.GIFECH1-144.GIF.thumb.png.36e35bc80e09d691da07f2b385aa7310.png

Be interesting to see 168 now to see where UKMO may be headed.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, chionomaniac said:

Sorry, Bobbydog, that's not true. SSW's don't suddenly appear out of nowhere on the charts - the trop precursors need to be in place and this then leads to the strat knock on - hence the ability to suggest that the models at 1hPa will start to show a warming trend well before they did.

sorry chiono, i edited to add that it would be showing up in the lower strat but could be missed due to people only watching the top strat charts. either way, they have to start somewhere and the "omnipresent" warmings actually do move forward as you said in your earlier post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

i'm afraid it pretty much looks like we are locked into a no mans land territory right now - cold to the left - cold way over to the right - even cold and snow to the south of us - way south in Spain and North Africa - and us left in the neutral zone for the foreseeable - think it's time to face facts - have a mid-winter break from the models - re-charge your batteries and come back fresh!

That maybe but I will continue watching every possible run. It's addictive.

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

.... the omnipresent SSW at T+384.

Yes, only from around +192h it gets into the reliable territory otherwise gfs has a tendency to postpone the ssw for  upto 4-6 weeks 

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Perhaps with a zonal onslaught in the offing, but how bizarre to suggest that when the synoptics are offering a block to the NE that wouldn't need to change too much to deliver a cold spell!

too much marginality around - full on north easterly today and all it could manage from the precip was a few flakes of very marginal snow at the top of the beacons locally - models just aren't dragging in enough cold uppers - see what you like but that's a fact i'm afraid

• Like 1