Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

If the Ecm is right about next week it will make a mockery of today's update from Exeter regarding next week so perhaps even at this stage, next week we could still be in the battleground between the cold block to the east and the milder atlantic struggling to make significant inroads..more twists to come?..what I will say is if we fail to get the easterly most of us desire, there's a lot of potential for cold zonality to give us the snow fix coldies crave!:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
40 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

I can assure yourself if as modeled that flow takes a-hold you can expect a dip below -8 hpa as the jet dives and that stagnant US- FREEZER , air begin to awash eastward.

Again a very unusual situ unfolding ..

Unfortunately the temperature will be too modified by the Atlantic for any interest, especially for those in the south, this is why we all crave a beasterly, it’s the real deal.  PM rarely delivers.

Posted

Evening all :)

Birthday watch for me starts here:

GFS 12Z OP at T+240

gfs-0-240.png?12

ECM 12Z OP at the same time:

ECM1-240.GIF?05-0

GEM 12Z OP at the same time:

gem-0-240.png?12

Quite like the model agreement and I get a chunk of polar vortex for my birthday. - let's see where this goes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, stodge said:

GFS 12Z OP at T+240

gfs-0-240.png?12

ECM1-240.GIF?05-0

gem-0-240.png?12

Quite like the model agreement and I get a chunk of polar vortex for my birthday. - let's see where this goes.

Hopefully will create same result as this! very snowy evening here, heaviest snow of season

gfs-2017121312-0-6.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, stodge said:

GFS 12Z OP at T+240

gfs-0-240.png?12

ECM1-240.GIF?05-0

gem-0-240.png?12

Turn it upside down and vwala.........your easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
52 minutes ago, danm said:

Not really. For our latitude we get very little snowfall. 

The makn reason is not altitude - as someone else pointed out, New York gets much more snowfall than us and is at sea level. New York is also on the western edge of a huge, relatively warm ocean. 

The UK is an island, our waters are warmed by the Gulf Stream, our prevailing wind is from the SW/W, and even when we get cold air from the NW/N/NE &E it is heavily modified compared to other areas of the globe at our latitude because it passes over relatively warm water. 

Its stating the obvious here, but places like Moscow, New York, Toronto, many parts of central and Eastern Europe etc are directly connected to the Artic by a continental landmass. 

The most “continental” part of the UK climatalogically is generally the SE due to its proximity and short sea track to Europe, and distance from the Atlantic. 

Therefore we will always struggle to get deep cold in the UK, particularly down south. So many things need to fall into place! 

ECH0-168.GIF.png

Sit back and consider something for a second will you please. Look on a map, can you see Switzerland there, well its just north of the very warm Mediterranean sea. You will also notice the coastal cities of Genova and Nice (Nizza), just north of these cities are the Maritime Alps that rise up pretty quickly, 1000m, 2000m, up to Mt Blanc (Bianco) which is well over 4,000m, here Switzerland starts. Now imagine just for a moment that them there Alps were only as high as the North Downs, or Chilterns, so 200-300m max, do you really think that they would get so much snowfall in that part of Europe that provides for skiing and winter sports uninterrupted from November to April and constant snow cover, by that mild Sea?

I simply don't get how people insist that altitude has got nothing to do with it, the Alps are an extreme example but as we saw earlier it snows in many European cities that are high up, (500-1,000m) and even close to mild seas at times, with uppers that can be as high as +3c. They don't need deep cold do they because they have altitude on their side, where as many parts of the UK struggle to get snow at -5/6-6c at times. Of course I agree with you that our location, the gulf stream, etc don't help much either, but that is only part of the picture.

Anyway, ECM seems to be moving in the right direction for some deep cold to be moving this way at last by D10.:)

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-240.gif

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

Not really. For our latitude we get very little snowfall. 

The makn reason is not altitude - as someone else pointed out, New York gets much more snowfall than us and is at sea level. New York is also on the western edge of a huge, relatively warm ocean. 

The UK is an island, our waters are warmed by the Gulf Stream, our prevailing wind is from the SW/W, and even when we get cold air from the NW/N/NE &E it is heavily modified compared to other areas of the globe at our latitude because it passes over relatively warm water. 

Its stating the obvious here, but places like Moscow, New York, Toronto, many parts of central and Eastern Europe etc are directly connected to the Artic by a continental landmass. 

The most “continental” part of the UK climatalogically is generally the SE due to its proximity and short sea track to Europe, and distance from the Atlantic. 

Therefore we will always struggle to get deep cold in the UK, particularly down south. So many things need to fall into place! 

ECH0-168.GIF.png

a few reasons are named in this thread:

• Like 1

Posted
On 30/12/2017 at 12:20, tight isobar said:

Ens 6z ..trending cold/very cold.

@london-6z's

MT8_London_ens.png

Proper deep fetch easterlies in those ensembles:gathering:

shame they never materialised gfs. No better than any other model

Edited by SLEETY

Posted

Just seen the Ecm 12z ensemble mean, pretty much mirrors the operational regards next week with the atlantic breaking through and some milder conditions at times but then beyond next week there is a trend towards cold zonality as the jet becomes aligned nw / se.:)

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowray said:

Sit back and consider something for a second will you please. Look on a map, can you see Switzerland there, well its just north of the very warm Mediterranean sea. You will also notice the coastal cities of Genova and Nice (Nizza), just north of these cities are the Maritime Alps that rise up pretty quickly, 1000m, 2000m, up to Mt Blanc (Bianco) which is well over 4,000m, here Switzerland starts. Now imagine just for a moment that them there Alps were only as high as the North Downs, or Chilterns, so 200-300m max, do you really think that they would get so much snowfall in that part of Europe that provides for skiing and winter sports uninterrupted from November to April and constant snow cover, by that mild Sea?

I simply don't get how people insist that altitude has got nothing to do with it, the Alps are an extreme example but as we saw earlier it snows in many European cities that are high up, (500-1,000m) and even close to mild seas at times, with uppers that can be as high as +3c. They don't need deep cold do they because they have altitude on their side, where as many parts of the UK struggle to get snow at -5/6-6c at times. Of course I agree with you that our location, the gulf stream, etc don't help much either, but that is only part of the picture.

Anyway, ECM seems to be moving in the right direction for some deep cold to be moving this way at last by D10.:)

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-240.gif

This also works in another way - over thousands of years before the age of the computer model - towns and cities were positioned in favoured spots, and part of them being in favoured spots would be that they were less affected by the cold which is more prevalent at higher altitudes, part of the reason why London is where it is and not at the top of the Pennines for eg (the M25 around the Pennines would be a nightmare) - so over those thousands of years, the weather has helped facilitate the growing of these towns and cities in places "less affected" by the cold and snowy weather, with protection afforded by lower altitude or the south side of a group of mountains which gives the town or city protection from wind/snow etc - there are other reasons - economical and political, but weather dictates it too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

While I’m not going to say this will happen, but the times I’ve seen models go completely off the easterly scent, only for them to go back to it convincingly IMO the best easterlies are the ones that come up unexpectedly. The times in which you have cross model agreement say at day 7, they very rarely go to plan. So fickle.

EC ens mean fully behind OP

B6987DC9-4C96-4AA0-967C-65AC13FB541D.thumb.gif.523e3e0645c510e8d36410a54f8ac5b7.gif

It can only get better surely? :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It looks like we will see low pressure break through by next weekend.

ECM ens

EDM1-144.GIF?05-0   EDM1-192.GIF?05-0   EDM1-240.GIF?05-0

Troughing becoming increasingly prevalent over the UK but with the jet running south of the UK so temperatures will remain on the cool side which means the risk of snow to low levels at times in the north. 

But a big question still remains over the ridge to our east, we could either see this decline eastwards or we could see a cut off high drift northwards, either way we will see low pressure charge in on a southerly trajectory, that said if we do see an area of high pressure develop as a result of that ridge then we could see something more wintry down the line.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Getting potentially interesting for the hills locally Feb :)

What timeframe you talking?

Posted
17 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Just seen the Ecm 12z ensemble mean, pretty much mirrors the operational regards next week with the atlantic breaking through and some milder conditions at times but then beyond next week there is a trend towards cold zonality as the jet becomes aligned nw / se.:)

It was a bit lazy of me not to post the charts i was talking about so here they are.:)

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What timeframe you talking?

Day 8 onwards I’d assume. Rather cold PM flow being signalled by both EC and GFS.

B0D75406-6F15-44DC-AB2F-30831B71DC04.thumb.gif.03e448c489864e9a06a2671176fd8f7c.gifAFD883BC-731F-4058-B154-6F45593A84B0.thumb.gif.1de817835e89fbbccc7e2d7f53c8c7b2.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
24 minutes ago, andymusic said:

This also works in another way - over thousands of years before the age of the computer model - towns and cities were positioned in favoured spots, and part of them being in favoured spots would be that they were less affected by the cold which is more prevalent at higher altitudes, part of the reason why London is where it is and not at the top of the Pennines for eg (the M25 around the Pennines would be a nightmare) - so over those thousands of years, the weather has helped facilitate the growing of these towns and cities in places "less affected" by the cold and snowy weather, with protection afforded by lower altitude or the south side of a group of mountains which gives the town or city protection from wind/snow etc - there are other reasons - economical and political, but weather dictates it too.

Probably one of the most intelligent posts that I've seen on here in some time Andy.:D

Euro4 out. Not showing much for this much shortened cold snap, quite chilly in Scotland though.:cold:

18010612_0512.gif

18010618_0512.gif

18010706_0512.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
32 minutes ago, snowray said:

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-240.gif

Reverse the Synoptics over the UK and you'll probably have a good picture of what the weather will be like here on 15th January.

Posted

Have very little faith in the models right now and although I fully expect the models to show a lot more amplification in the pattern over the coming days I would certainly not be trusting anything the models show at t168 let alone t240 etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening ! Well the Gfs has the Victory  over the recent output as opposed to the little ecm. The Atlantic has won for now , :cold::closedeyes:

andy.png

andyx.png