Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted

Changes on the arpeege already at just 60 hours!!low pressure that was slightly deeper on the 12z near south west england has virtually dissapeared!!should help with more of a cold push from the north east!!

Posted

This was the ecm 12z on the 31/12/17 t144

ECH1-144.GIF?12

and this is todays ecm  at t96

ECH1-96.GIF?02-0

Notice how the ridge of high pressure is further south even on the ecm and if this continues by the time it ridges north it may be to far south and there will not be any cold uppers to tap into. Not looking forward to the mornings charts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

204 V 210 You will note more of a scandi block morphing back west- 

only another 34 runs of moving to go

18z first

453BE482-EA43-4985-AB9A-404481912322.thumb.png.a875c8168bb0f9dfca9b3c865c5ae9e9.png8B433B17-757F-4416-B391-3C429890EC78.thumb.png.3ecee83ad26530da75c5acdf123e714c.png

Some energy underneath but minimal

lets say 85/15 upwards / under

next run becomes 82/18 then 79/21 

in 10 runs time that will be 60/40 & the GFS will look totally different ( around 168 )

I believe it will..

The stretch of heights east'iceland/through to top set scandinavia-surely being underplayed via gfs 12z/18z!..

Isobar-forming is good for expansion of movement.

But the gfs is'nt having it...

Should relax its tightening, on view soon..!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
7 minutes ago, Mucka said:

You are spot on IMO.

Any assumption that a particular model has this nailed is based on personal preference for a particular model. 

I read Steve's post earlier and the bias within the models he describes within GFS is fair comment (though all models have had many upgrades over the last 13 years), but perhaps we are only remembering the GFS bias and not the ECM bias?

Yes GFS is likely too progressive but how does that make ECM any more likely to be correct? It has its own biases.

How often do we see a middle ground solution where one model shows a Winter wonderland and the other Westerlies?

I think we all have short selective memories to a point and our own inherent bias toward wishing for cold and snow.

That doesn't mean ECM won't be proved correct and Steve vindicated but it could just as easily go the other way as far as I can tell. 

UKMO is probably the best guide at the moment as that sits somewhere in the middle.

ECM's bias was over amplification of Scandi heights? Something along them lines. Also happens to be the GFS weakest where it will just barrel the Jet through.

I agree UKMO is best bet, it's the one I will watching tomorrow.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS 234 V 240

note how the signal is now stronger for a Scandi high with a bit of an undercut...

07794BF9-6D62-4162-83CC-2034B29A97AB.thumb.png.7fe72ab93039e937835272f675190862.pngD557E55B-C9BE-45CB-A3EC-63770632AC12.thumb.png.3a0159fdd95b735c959dd6d64ec1e549.png

Position now much better than the 12z 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS 234 V 240

note how the signal is now stronger for a Scandi high with a bit of an undercut...

07794BF9-6D62-4162-83CC-2034B29A97AB.thumb.png.7fe72ab93039e937835272f675190862.pngD557E55B-C9BE-45CB-A3EC-63770632AC12.thumb.png.3a0159fdd95b735c959dd6d64ec1e549.png

We are chasing now Steve but heights are better on this run

second bite..

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
1 minute ago, SN0WM4N said:

ECM's bias was over amplification of Scandi heights? Something along them lines. Also happens to be the GFS weakest where it will just barrel the Jet through.

I agree UKMO is best bet, it's the one I will watching tomorrow.

Ecm is bias-of a small%ag, 

And thats of atlantic amp-..

Not eastern/north east.

Its a tight format that is of a much,smaller degree than the gfs bias(corrected/new data or otherwise)

Of mobile atlantic flowing.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

I agree UKMO is best bit it's the one I will watching tomorrow.

Ecm used to over amplify - full stop. Since its upgrade autumn 2016, the bias to our west seems to have moderated but we haven't tested Scandinavia apart from last Jan (illustrated earlier by mwb). 

Note that the eps clusters have the op with only 10% support in the mid term (although there are six clusters ). In the 8/10 day period the clusters reduce markedly and the ridge to the north more than northeast has good support. this has a fair way to go yet and I doubt we have seen the correct solution. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

JMA just out, joining the ECM/GEM party.:D

J180-21.gif

J204-21.gif

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well maybe i'm reading them wrong but the 120 looks hideous..

I think the fax looks ok. The high is beginning to ridge north/north east. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

As others have said i think we will have a blend of GFS/ECM and the UKMO wont be far of the mark come the weekends weather when it will turn colder but not desperately cold like GEM/ECM is showing.Thereafter the next search for cold/colder weather will begin and Slidergate III may be the topic of conversation.Would love ECM/GEM to be right for weekend prognosis but lets be realistic the UKMO are not really on board and until they start issuing weather warnings re snow i will just enjoy following the forum which is the best bar none.These are just my views and based predominently on watching models over the last 5 years and how these scenarios pan out.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, comet said:

This was the ecm 12z on the 31/12/17 t144

ECH1-144.GIF?12

and this is todays ecm  at t96

ECH1-96.GIF?02-0

Notice how the ridge of high pressure is further south even on the ecm and if this continues by the time it ridges north it may be to far south and there will not be any cold uppers to tap into. Not looking forward to the mornings charts.

You mean the shortwave that helps drag the cold east later is over iceland now

Edited by frosty ground

Posted

The ens on this one will be quite telling.

18z ...-gfs-.

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ecm used to over amplify - full stop. Since its upgrade autumn 2016, the bias to our west seems to have moderated but we haven't tested Scandinavia apart from last Jan (illustrated earlier by mwb). 

Note that the eps clusters have the op with only 10% support in the mid term (although there are six clusters ). In the 8/10 day period the clusters reduce markedly and the ridge to the north more than northeast has good support. this has a fair way to go yet and I doubt we have seen the correct solution. 

Thanks for the update. It does seem that the GFS has picked up the over amplification of heights in the Atlantic/Greenland area. Anyway my point still stands difficult situation to be and one that is difficult to forecast for the masses. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

The 78 mean is a lot better than the 84 12z

although that’s probably by luck more than skill 

Steve if we end up with a halfway house, will you say that the ECM is crap and how can you give any credibility to a model that has consistently thrown out phantom Easterlies over the last 7 years and none since 2013 has actually verified.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The 78 mean is a lot better than the 84 12z

although that’s probably by luck more than skill 

Im of the reckoning, the 18z will have more members on the dip?!!.

We'll wait and see?,!..

MT8_London_ens.pngtodays 12z...

Edited by tight isobar

Posted

ENS at 102 sticking with the Op, surely a backtrack from the next ECM and GEM - big differences at such short range. 

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

ENS at 102 sticking with the Op, surely a backtrack from the next ECM and GEM - big differences at such short range. 

May I ask why it has to be ECM?

• Thanks 1