Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

This GFS run could be a stonker with a better uppers Easterly in FI - it looks to me like more frigid air is going to go into the continent, its just a haunch but of course we might not get the undercut in and it could be a load of crap with zonality winning out but if the undercut is good then...............

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

You’ll know a good easterly because it often produces for you there in Dublin with some lake effect snow off the Irish Sea.

As it did December 22nd 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h500slp.png h500slp.png

A weak toward the shortwave to the N breaking away sooner. 

Now there can potentially be more of a cut S then S of cold air down the E then SE flanks of the ridge. Will be interesting to see whether GFS actually does that or not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, Singularity said:

h500slp.png h500slp.png

A weak toward the shortwave to the N breaking away sooner. 

Now there can potentially be more of a cut S then S of cold air down the E then SE flanks of the ridge. Will be interesting to see whether GFS actually does that or not.

Squeeze is on..

Gfs will be dragged kicking and screaming..although the formation is evolving...

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

18z is woeful. No pub run move to the ECM tonight.

Looked like it was trying to with the seperation of the shortwave at 96 hours over iceland!!steve its gone towards the ecm at just 66 hours so i dont buy at the moment what its showing after that!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

18z is woeful. No short term pub run move to the ECM tonight.

Good or bad ? For cold that Is? 

Posted

Well if ECM is right then it will be a massive coup but if wrong then I feel its reputation may never fully recover in here. I myself fear for the worst. This was originally to be a first bite of the cherry easterly and as we know when you need to take a second or third bite the likelihood of things not going to plan greatly increase. The gfs 18z looks to be going the opposite way to the ecm. We may not even get out of the starting gate with this easterly for in the more reliable time frame we are seeing height being eroded away with to much energy going over the top of the high.

Edited by comet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Personally I'm not so sure that the GFS is going to be proven wrong this time. It has time and again had the best handle on the area around Greenland/Iceland and shortwave spoilers.

At 132 we have the Atlantic troughing positively tilted against the 'block'. Goodnight vienna on this run.

gfs-0-132.png?18

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h500slp.png h500slp.png

Not sure about no movement Steve; look how the eastern flank of the Atlantic trough is aligned closer to S-N with more of a ridge by Iceland thanks to the shortwave separating better.

It's far from gone the whole way but it's definitely made it closer to producing that sort of triangle-shaped high with the bump on the top that stops the N jet arm riding over the ridge in the 12z ECM and GEM runs.

h850t850eu.png

Still some way to go in the nearer-term though, it is true! Sometimes GFS is just disgusting with its northern jet arm bias (or is it that simple this time... hmm)

Edited by Singularity

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Personally I'm not so sure that the GFS is going to be proven wrong this time. It has time and again had the best handle on the area around Greenland/Iceland and shortwave spoilers.

At 132 we have the Atlantic troughing positively tilted against the 'block'. Goodnight vienna on this run.

gfs-0-132.png?18

I agree with you although possibly unwise to say it on here!!!  the stick you'll get.

Posted
1 minute ago, comet said:

Well if ECM is right then it will be a massive coup but if wrong then I feel its reputation may never fully recover in here. I myself fear for the worst. This was originally to be a first bite of the cherry easterly and as we know when you need to take a second or third bite the likelihood of things not going to plan greatly increase. The gfs 18z looks to be going the opposite way to the ecm. We may not even get out of the starting gate with this easterly for in the more reliable time frame we are seeing height being eroded away with to much energy going over the top of the high.

OT The Beeb didn't even mention the Atlantic on tonight's 21:55 so I wonder what they are looking at GFS hasn't started well but its not a disaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I agree with you although possibly unwise to say it on here!!!  the stick you'll get.

I've worked in retail for years mate...I'm used to stick off people!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

OT The Beeb didn't even mention the Atlantic on tonight's 21:55 so I wonder what they are looking at GFS hasn't started well but its not a disaster

They are playing the odds on next week being mainly anticyclonic - which is currently what I would do in their position! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

Can someone explain which model is statically and historically more often correct during the winter months - I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but some clarification would be helpful to those that are less informed and like to follow this discussion - thank you 

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

So do I

Time and time again we see the gfs handle the sw spoilers expertly.

I expect an epic backtrack tomorrow by the ECM

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Hear me out here.

Maybe none of the models are displaying a true representation of what happens next week.

Is that possible or does there have to be one right and this very moment. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Mind you, the GFS does like to overdevelop a good Iceland low, cough T+168

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

So do I

Time and time again we see the gfs handle the sw spoilers expertly.

I expect an epic backtrack tomorrow by the ECM

TBH It will be more steady, a longer period of anti-cyclonic weather than predicted by the GFS with the Atlantic eventually breaking through but no stonking Easterly - ECM backtrack will be steady over the next few runs.

Edited by feb1991blizzard