Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - heading into 2018

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here. 
For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No model ramblings for me this late just wanted to say a Merry Christmas to everyone here. :cold-emoji::reindeer-emoji:

And here’s to a happy and hopefully snowy New Year!  :santa-emoji:

And there was me thinking you was coming on to say that NOAA discussions were dismissing all model output apart from the few scandi highs on the eps because the upstream profile fitted them better and all state forecasts were using a blend of Jan 1987 and feb1991 to make their predictions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
40 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Merry Christmas one and all, I’ll sign off with some cold Ens members 

78DE234A-D1BB-4AAD-8280-238EEB234EAE.thumb.gif.b8d0235f9e1492da5b19d746829e522c.gif

Ignore the mild ones, ba hum bug ?

I wish shannon enter..what's it's face a very merry Christmas:rofl::D

control run a trend setter:D

eps_pluim_td_06260.thumb.png.dee0e731c19f83a5d55b2174300ae024.pngeps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.8908fbf1313aabaf9b372ecaeb45387f.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Merry xmas everyone from a dank mild Sheffield. The 18z did show a glimmer of hope in fi with an attempt at building a scan high ete

Wish it was at 48hrs looking at the nhp and pv at the 130h mark because it isnt pretty.whatever the weather enjoy ,make merry and stay safe .:)

Edited by swfc
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ecm has the low 982mb Celtic Sea to north Devon at 1800 Tuesday with much rain in south west.

By 00 it is along the M4 and at 06 Wednesday it is orientated Sussex to great Yarmouth.

For what it's worth the ecm is showing quite substantial snow falls for Wales and the Midlands with lesser amounts for counties in the south west

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Merry crimstmas all, and some good news is that the ENS are showing a Scandy high in FI on the majority - of sorts anyway 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Merry Christmas to everyone in this thoroughly enjoyable rollercoaster of a thread. Here's hoping we all see at least one decent snowfall this Winter. :hi:

• Like 6

Posted

merry  xmas   all just looked at f1  if that comes off we will all go in to the deep  cold!!!:cold::cold:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Merry Christmas to all :) ?Hope your turkey is moist and your sprouts are crunchy ;) 

latest ECM snow levels from Wednesdays low,

IMG_3098.thumb.PNG.d620b8540abacc6a44c4eacbdec4d23f.PNG

As others have said exact track and nature of the system to be decided regarding rain/snow. But nice to have the risk of at least some seeing falling snow over the xmas week .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, tinybill said:

merry  xmas   all just looked at f1  if that comes off we will all go in to the deep  cold!!!:cold::cold:

Yes,, a merry christmas to all on NW......and yes I also looked at deep f1 and it looks a belter, Lewis Hamilton is a shoe-in for the world title! :wink:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO going to go colder into 2018?

ukm2.2018010100_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.1112b1ed4bc5637b3c5bbbdc399201c9.png

ECM has a major low heading to Iceland right at the end

ECM1-240.thumb.GIF.c1b7b4a09631d0791ad13bfa6ead390c.GIF

Must be that lack of data affecting it :crazy:

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Merry Christmas to all :) ?Hope your turkey is moist and your sprouts are crunchy ;) 

latest ECM snow levels from Wednesdays low,

IMG_3098.thumb.PNG.d620b8540abacc6a44c4eacbdec4d23f.PNG

As others have said exact track and nature of the system to be decided regarding rain/snow. But nice to have the risk of at least some seeing falling snow over the xmas week .

I hope that’s correct. Birmingham in the middle of it all again.

track is still subject to changes in my opinion 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO going to go colder into 2018?

ukm2.2018010100_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.1112b1ed4bc5637b3c5bbbdc399201c9.png

ECM has a major low heading to Iceland right at the end

ECM1-240.thumb.GIF.c1b7b4a09631d0791ad13bfa6ead390c.GIF

Must be that lack of data affecting it :crazy:

Great. The day I fly into Reykjavik ? Hopefully I will make it in one piece and see a full on blizzard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
8 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

I wish shannon enter..what's it's face a very merry Christmas:rofl::D

control run a trend setter:D

eps_pluim_td_06260.thumb.png.dee0e731c19f83a5d55b2174300ae024.pngeps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.8908fbf1313aabaf9b372ecaeb45387f.png

Be an interesting stat if the data has ever been collated. What percentage of an outlier control or op run turns out to be a trendsetter? 

Merry Xmas all 

• Like 1

Posted

Felicitations ........

apart from the track of the runner tues/wed (which seems to remain snow line s Wales running up to the wash with a thirty mile spread either side ) , my eyes are taken in the extended period by the amplification to our north/northeast on the gefs (that is getting stronger if anything) and the eps where a mean pattern which doesn't look łike it should be cool returns uppers a little below average. 

I assume the clusters will shortly reveal why 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Felicitations ........

apart from the track of the runner tues/wed (which seems to remain snow line s Wales running up to the wash with a thirty mile spread either side ) , my eyes are taken in the extended period by the amplification to our north/northeast on the gefs (that is getting stronger if anything) and the eps where a mean pattern which doesn't look łike it should be cool returns uppers a little below average. 

I assume the clusters will shortly reveal why 

Good spot - forgot to check the uppers this time, was about to post that the eps mean has flipped to pants again (good job I didn't) after 1 good run, Generally the EPS are the best guidance at this range but because its only recently that I have been able to have access to extended eps data, I have more experience of the GEFS and one thing I have noticed is they are more sensitive and will generally be first to spot a trend towards proper blocking, whether that's because they go out to 16 days as opposed to 15 (probably not as sometimes new trends are spotted in d 13-14), more probably that I tend to ignore 3 - 5 stragglers that show bitter cold on the ECM London 2m temp graph as one tends to think that's normal on a 50 member suite, but when 3-5 start flatlining on the 850 GEFS graph, I sit up and take notice.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Good spot - forgot to check the uppers this time, was about to post that the eps mean has flipped to pants again (good job I didn't) after 1 good run, Generally the EPS are the best guidance at this range but because its only recently that I have been able to have access to extended eps data, I have more experience of the GEFS and one thing I have noticed is they are more sensitive and will generally be first to spot a trend towards proper blocking, whether that's because they go out to 16 days as opposed to 15 (probably not as sometimes new trends are spotted in d 13-14), more probably that I tend to ignore 3 - 5 stragglers that show bitter cold on the ECM London 2m temp graph as one tends to think that's normal on a 50 member suite, but when 3-5 start flatlining on the 850 GEFS graph, I sit up and take notice.

The eps probability is growing higher slp to our east/south by end week two but not getting it far enough north. The clusters are pretty diverse and plentiful. looks to be  just a case of watching and waiting to see what becomes the favoured direction of travel into the new year. 

Posted

The T192 (2 Jan) main two clusters look ripe for a short wintry period as one of those "temporary ridges" I've been watching for builds on the back of a trough that slips to the east

http://brunnur.vedur.is/kort/ec-ens/2017/12/25/00/ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017122500_192.png

Must say, for a period that some people are writing off, there does seem to be rather a few snow chances popping up. 

(sorry not sure why it's displaying as a link rather than pic)

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4