Sign in to follow this  
Optimus Prime

Decriminalising/Legalising Cannabis

Should cannabis be decriminalised?   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should cannabis be decriminalised?

• Yes
    • No
    • Current laws are suitable (turning a blind eye to personal use)
    • Should be controlled further, either by raising it's class or greater punishments

I generally take the Libertarian view that an individual should be free to make their own choices, as long as it doesn't infringe on someone's rights while doing so. Light up, but zero tolerance on anti social behaviour after or on a burden on the state to pick up the tab after.  There are enough genuine occurrences of mental health problems without seeking out more.

The war on drugs has been a disaster all over the World. The demand will ever remain, meaning criminal supply. This finances and supports some very despicable individuals and leads to violent crime.

Would legalization create social and health problems? Perhaps, but I dare say those problems have a better chance of being solved.

• Like 1

Just grow up and legalise it already, for goodness sake. Down with the nanny state 

• Like 3

And while it's refreshing to hear William Hague speak out with a bold and commonsense approach, why do these politicians only ever use logic when they're no longer in a position to make that change? It's infuriating.

• Like 1

The Law at the moment is neither here or there.  Either you ban it totally including personal use  or you allow it and make it legal.    There are pros and cons on both side of this arguement,  Making it legal would make the drug more safe bringing in higher regulation and making sure that other toxines/strength etc are monitored.  however   have we already  got legal drugs that we cant control and adding another would this cause more issues.   For me and my own personal experience  its a drug that is often labeled as  inoffensive   however i have also seen the distruction that it can cause.    

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nick L said:

And while it's refreshing to hear William Hague speak out with a bold and commonsense approach, why do these politicians only ever use logic when they're no longer in a position to make that change? It's infuriating.

I think I heard, on LBC, that 3 (yes, THREE) people have died as a result of using cannabis, during the past year...If that's the case (and, no, I cannae prove it either way) I'm in two minds as to whether I walk down to Tesco or roll a joint. As both are clearly highly dangerous!?

PS: Better scratch the second option - all that time out in the open air would render me liable to a meteorite strike - you cannae be too safety-conscious these days, can you?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think I heard, on LBC, that 3 (yes, THREE) people have died as a result of using cannabis, during the past year...If that's the case (and, no, I cannae prove it either way) I'm in two minds as to whether I walk down to Tesco or roll a joint. As both are clearly highly dangerous!?

Its not death which is the danger   there is a viable link between  Cannabis and mental health  ie . daily adolescent users were 18 times more likely to become dependent on marijuana, seven times more likely to attempt suicide and eight times more likely to use other illegal drugs in the future..     Those dependent on marijuana had a higher risk of experiencing major depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors       Of course some people may not be effected   but with a already creaking NHS   what effect would this have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Its not death which is the danger   there is a viable link between  Cannabis and mental health  ie . daily adolescent users were 18 times more likely to become dependent on marijuana, seven times more likely to attempt suicide and eight times more likely to use other illegal drugs in the future..     Those dependent on marijuana had a higher risk of experiencing major depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors       Of course some people may not be effected   but with a already creaking NHS   what effect would this have.

Fair point, Mark...But exactly the same claims have been made about Paroxetine, a prescribed antidepressant, on which I was stuck for 24 years. In both cases, I suspect that said claims are more down to propaganda than to real repeatable scientific evidence...?

4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

PS: Better scratch the second option - all that time out in the open air would render me liable to a meteorite strike - you cannae be too safety-conscious these days, can you?

As many as three?

It's physically impossible to overdose on cannabis, you simply cannot ingest or smoke enough in one sitting for it to kill you. Second hand deaths (such as falling down stairs or crashing a car etc.) yes, but unlike alcohol, you cannot directly kill yourself by consuming it.

Edited by Nick L

There is a difference between 'use' and 'abuse' Pete and most of the negative studies are U.S. based from young offender institutes and folk who abused cannabis. The question there should be 'why' are they so desperate to escape and dealing with that root cause not what aberrations it drives ( closing that door when the Horse is well gone!).

You could , of course, do similar with alcohol use and violent crime.

There are issues with the new clones and the 'mix' of active ingredients. Simple bruising will lessen the psychoactive ingredient via its oxidation leading to the old 50/50 mix that the pot smoker of yore used to enjoy.

'Shops' would stock a wide variety of strain each suited to one or other 'feel' of effect.

Kids and their tenner bags will get what they are given. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect the entire population of the UK to suddenly become 'stoners' overnight if it was legalized, not anymore than the majority of people who aren't alcoholics despite it being sold in very street-corner shop, supermarket, pub, restaurant, etc. It should be down to personal choice and so-long as it doesn't impede on the freedoms of anybody else then I don't see why the government kicks up so much of a fuss.

If hypothetically it was legalized tomorrow then I wouldn't be rushing down to the shops or pharmacy to buy it because i'd have a choice like with alcohol/e-cigs in when I personally want to consume.

• Like 4

It seems to me that it's the deluded War-on-Drugs that's both fuelling abuse and creating a class of super criminal, whose use of kiddies as carriers almost guarantees their immunity from prosecution..?

IMO, the answer is simple: make drug addiction/abuse a medical matter rather than a criminal one...it'll also put most of the drug barons out of business overnight...

Surely that's a better situation to be in than the dog's breakfast we have now?

• Like 4

But it's good to see that Sajid Javid is considering legalising for medicinal use. Whatever your opinion on the war on drugs, it's simply inhumane to deny an ill child medication that could improve their quality of life.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nick L said:

Because they know it's unpopular. Our drugs training is offered by the police and off the record most will tell you legalisation is the way forward but they won't publicly say it because it's unpopular. People are terrified by things they don't understand. Every place that has moved towards legalisation has seen nothing but positive results. I have no idea what we're so terrified of.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, weirpig said:

But many of those use cannabis to self medicate. They already had pre-existing MH issues.

Skunk is the variety we should be concerned about as that actually causes drug induced psychosis.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lauren said:

But many of those use cannabis to self medicate. They already had pre-existing MH issues.

Skunk is the variety we should be concerned about as that actually causes drug induced psychosis.

Much in the same way that if alcohol was criminalised, we'd have dangerous knock off take its place, "skunk" strength cannabis only exists because there is no regulation to stop it.

The problems associated with cannabis are mostly there because it's illegal in the first place.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Much in the same way that if alcohol was criminalised, we'd have dangerous knock off take its place, "skunk" strength cannabis only exists because there is no regulation to stop it.

The problems associated with cannabis are mostly there because it's illegal in the first place.

Couldn't agree more. Same goes for gangs. You legalise drugs and the bottom falls out of their whole organisation. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Nick L said:

No skunk exists because people who smoke cannabis want a better high  if and when cannabis becomes legal it will solve nothing. The strength that will be available will be so weak that people won't bother with it    Skunk and illegal supply of it will still be required in fact probably more so  the only difference will be that you won't be prosecuted if you are caught with it    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

No skunk exists because people who smoke cannabis want a better high  if and when cannabis becomes legal it will solve nothing. The strength that will be available will be so weak that people won't bother with it    Skunk and illegal supply of it will still be required in fact probably more so  the only difference will be that you won't be prosecuted if you are caught with it    

But in places where it is legalised just the opposite has happened.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

But in places where it is legalised just the opposite has happened.

There will be two sets of people happy with what Javid said today: people who will benefit from being able to receive efficacious medication, and those who will be mighty relieved that their criminal empires will not be put under any threat...Two more contradictory interest-groups you could never hope to find...?

I wonder how many more folks the current penchant for putting ideology before science is yet to kill? Causing death by gross negligence comes to mind!:angry:

• Like 3

Medical use.. sure make it legal. Casual use no, although maybe generalising many users slouch about like a potato. We don’t want this promoted in our culture it’s not very British.

6 hours ago, weirpig said:

That's whatni think, legalisation won't stop the problem, in this case, not straight away anyway, however skunk will become less of a problem over time, as those who are using now will seek it out, but i don't think most new users will, may be wrong, but I do think with time skunk could become less of a problem.

Well Canada will soon be sharing it's data on the impacts of legalising cannabis across the board.

They will just repeat other countries findings with less young folk bothering with it and the gangsters out of business.

As with 'home brew' there will be folk who chose to grow their own so saving money to spend elsewhere in society other than paying the drugs barons the huge sums they currently harvest.

Maybe the powers that be fear the effects on society in so far as discussing their world. Drunks do not change the world through their sterling debate whilst pizzed yet the top tech firms all have CEO's that gained inspiration for their breakthroughs whilst stoned and talking about how things could change......

Maybe when drunk we fight each other and when stoned we fight 'The Man'..........

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 3

Oh my!

It appears that the debate will be far broader than just cannabis oil and kiddies with fitting issues?

It looks like a whole host of conditions that benefit from cannabis use will be up for inclusion and the medical cannabis will be in all its forms from bud to oil!

This might become very important for many folk who had given up on being able to access a remedy they know helps with their conditions.

If , like me, you know there are great benefits to be had from daily dosing with cannabis but no longer have any kind of access to the substance ( even if they were willing to break the law) this could prove a god send!

I suppose if you are suffering from the current post code lottery on receiving health care then you might know how it feels to know there is a med out there which works for your condition but that your region does not have it on their lists. You just end up resigned to your situation ( doesn't help with 'reactive' conditions driven by the status quo) and try and carry on carrying on.

Now there might be light at the end of the tunnel!

I would qualify for my Chronic pain, Chronic Fatigue and Chronic vertigo ( never mind the reactive depression being stuck this way brings on occasion) so would be queueing up for my script!

I wonder if it would alter my posting style?

• Like 2

To be honest i can't see a negative regarding legalising cannabis. Most of us either drink or smoke,they are regulated and taxed. Cannabis is used by millions in this country,were to they get it? Grow it or the local drug dealer,take the drug dealer out by legalising it,taxing it,making it safe(as in strength) just like alcohol it's not rocket science. Yes folk will abuse it,it's a drug,but the more control we have as a society the less control those have peddling much more harmful addictive substances.

• Like 3