Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Buying new weather station

rpmbaz

Posted

I’m looking at buy a new weather station, I had a Oregon WMR 100 which was very hit and miss and eventually died but I’m looking for something far more reliable and accurate that I can upload all the data to my Mac or PC . I have been toying with either the Davis Vantage cue or Pro 2 , most posting I read suggest those that bought the Vue wish they had the Pro 2 but both seem very good . Any help or advice that can help with my decision pros or cons 

Posted
On 12/15/2017 at 19:21, rpmbaz said:

I’m looking at buy a new weather station, I had a Oregon WMR 100 which was very hit and miss and eventually died but I’m looking for something far more reliable and accurate that I can upload all the data to my Mac or PC . I have been toying with either the Davis Vantage cue or Pro 2 , most posting I read suggest those that bought the Vue wish they had the Pro 2 but both seem very good . Any help or advice that can help with my decision pros or cons 

•  

I think you'll find the big difference is that the Vue is an integrated package so you have to compromise either wind or temperature, where as the Pro can be separated and not such a compromise. So if you are happy to read the wind @ a height of X meters above the ground, then remember the temperature is the same point and no at the 5ft or 2mtr height where it would typically measure.

Posted

If your site is open enough the Vue wind reading won't be too bad.
Or maybe your site is so sheltered that you can't realistically get good readings anyway.
They suggest mounting it between 6 feet and 12 feet above ground.
Correct height for air temperature is about 4 feet and wind 33 feet.

Even if you have a large area to select from it's difficult to find a site which is as good as official ones.
Official sites are sometimes compromised to some extent too.
At the end of the day you are recording at *your* location and comparing over months and years at that place.

• Like 1

Posted

4WD presents a really good point, and that is "At the end of the day you are recording at *your* location and comparing over months and years at that place." I've been recording data for 14years on my systems, not so much that people can see if it's raining where I live, but are long term changes happening, year on year comparison... I've not got a VP2 but sure would like to own one, maybe before I die, who knows. Crazy thing is we collect all this data and take it with us, when the system goes down (with no backup)...so I do like to share it on WW sites for longer term usage.

Thing is enjoy the hobby side of it, unless it for a professional role of course, I'm glad I can go back over so many years and compare data..

• 1 month later...
Posted

I’ve a cue,a vantage pro 2 and now a brand new wmr 300

I’m really liking the wmr so far

its performing every bit as good as the Davis and looks the exact same

In 14 years of having the vantage pro 2,I’ve never had to call customer service

In the photo the anemometer is attached to the remains of an old oak tree (brought down by Storm Darwin a few years ago :/)

No signal issues so far (as some online reviews seem to mention)

I’ll keep you posted

703E0707-53E3-4F17-BA58-414BADB88904.png

• Like 1