Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Oumuamua

weirpig

Posted

Tomorrow is the day when observations start to take place on a strange cigar shaped object which scientists have called oumuamua.   a Hawaiian word meaning “a messenger from afar arriving first” It is  pretty extraordinary  for a number of reasons, in particular because it’s the first space object we’ve identified as coming from another solar system.  It’s also really weird looking — long and thin instead of roundish and nuggety like the other stuff we typically see flying through space. And in the words of NASA, “it’s the highly-elongated shape that has scientists excited and perplexed”.   There are many ideas regarding this object  Scientists are unsure whether it is natural or made by something or someone.  “While a natural origin is more likely, there is currently no consensus on what that origin might have been, and Breakthrough Listen is well positioned to explore the possibility that ‘Oumuamua could be an artifact.”   “Researchers working on long-distance space transportation have previously suggested that a cigar or needle shape is the most likely architecture for an interstellar spacecraft, since this would minimize friction and damage from interstellar gas and dust,”.    Observations will last for approx 10 hours on Wednesday.    What will they find?.   For me its more than likely to be a asteroid of some sort  interesting  but not Aliens  of course you tube is awash with speculation.  What are your thoughts   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, weirpig said:

Tomorrow is the day when observations start to take place on a strange cigar shaped object which scientists have called oumuamua.   a Hawaiian word meaning “a messenger from afar arriving first” It is  pretty extraordinary  for a number of reasons, in particular because it’s the first space object we’ve identified as coming from another solar system.  It’s also really weird looking — long and thin instead of roundish and nuggety like the other stuff we typically see flying through space. And in the words of NASA, “it’s the highly-elongated shape that has scientists excited and perplexed”.   There are many ideas regarding this object  Scientists are unsure whether it is natural or made by something or someone.  “While a natural origin is more likely, there is currently no consensus on what that origin might have been, and Breakthrough Listen is well positioned to explore the possibility that ‘Oumuamua could be an artifact.”   “Researchers working on long-distance space transportation have previously suggested that a cigar or needle shape is the most likely architecture for an interstellar spacecraft, since this would minimize friction and damage from interstellar gas and dust,”.    Observations will last for approx 10 hours on Wednesday.    What will they find?.   For me its more than likely to be a asteroid of some sort  interesting  but not Aliens  of course you tube is awash with speculation.  What are your thoughts   

Been following this for some time ,but just couldn't keep up :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

I wonder if it came from Uranus ,Ed will know :rofl:

Only if no-one's Saturn it!:oops:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

They will have to be quick as its done  a sling sh/t around the sun :closedeyes:

Were it to go 'whoosh', we should rename it Onomatopoeia?

Posted

Can we call it Om for short?

Interesting object, suspect it's a primordial collision fragment. Must all sorts of weird shaped odds and bobs floating around in space.

On the other hand . . .

Edited by frogesque

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

It's Piers Corbyn's interstellar order for severe winter weather, it was supposed to arrive via white spacecraft man, but they just posted it instead....

I'm here all week...

Edited by JeffC

Posted
8 minutes ago, JeffC said:

It's Piers Corbyn's interstellar order for severe winter weather, it was supposed to arrive via white spacecraft man, but they just posted it instead....

I'm here all week...

Bloody Amazon getting everywhere!

Posted
11 hours ago, frogesque said:

Interesting object, suspect it's a primordial collision fragment. Must all sorts of weird shaped odds and bobs floating around in space.

On the other hand . . .

We shall see in the next few days   pictures and readings should be back on earth in the next few days.    they will know within that timeframe if indeed it is artificial.  

Posted
14 hours ago, frogesque said:

On the other hand . . .

If it is not Cuban then i'd go for collision fragment.  Always the possibility they've got the shape wrong if it has a very uneven colouration.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Just reviving this old thread  apparently  researchers at Harvard  have stated that infact this could well be a alien  vessel   mmm    cuckoo

https://news.sky.com/story/cigar-shaped-object-could-be-alien-spacecraft-harvard-researchers-claim-11546041

Lol ,with the tumbling motion and it's relatively  slow speed of 60,000 mph makes it a very poor  space probe

Posted
6 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol ,with the tumbling motion and it's relatively  slow speed of 60,000 mph makes it a very poor  space probe

Can I have its engine for my crappy beemer?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol, I was driving that fast back from old Trafford  to ulverston in 1 hour owing to my race with norovirus, noro won

Hey Mok, there's a song in there: I fought the Noro and the Noro won?:oops:

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol, I was driving that fast back from old Trafford  to ulverston in 1 hour owing to my race with norovirus, noro won

brown trouser job x 2?

• Like 1

Posted
On 07/11/2018 at 15:01, Mokidugway said:

I was once in Manchester when i was called out for a search for a vulnerable person. I was told I was needed so I clogged it. I walked into team HQ and there was sat a Bobby who asked where I had been when i rang in. Didn't believe I had made it back that quick from Manchester to Coniston! 

That was quite a while ago, couldn't do it these days