Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Today's Fog inversion has dropped well into the valley here since 8pm, still only a few tens of meters visibility in the village below but just a 1/4-mile up the hill there's clear skies above with a uninterrupted view of the stars.

DSC_0019.thumb.JPG.800be9bb73ac3410808897ba9785ced4.JPG

DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.03ca29971fd36b98403fb4135fb5cfff.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Only just noticed this but GFS has snow depths ensembles.

Here's Oldham

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs&lid=ENS&var=26&bw=&geoid=48639

Wow thats really quite snowy. .ec also showing snow across our region...uppers of -2/3 doesnt sound snowy to me..

Posted

If there was a room 101 for weather, I'd put days like today in it. Dark until about 8.30am with a grey cloak of misty murk and drizzle, this lingered through the whole day, and light levels were abysmal. A quick descent into dusk around 3.30pm. 

That dank moist horridness that only comes courtesy of tropical maritime air , and oh joy oh joy we have more of it to come this week. It is thoroughly miserable at least we have the christmas lights to brighten things up, if it was the first or second week of January - it would feel much worse..

I love winter, but not when it brings days like today.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

If there was a room 101 for weather, I'd put days like today in it. Dark until about 8.30am with a grey cloak of misty murk and drizzle, this lingered through the whole day, and light levels were abysmal. A quick descent into dusk around 3.30pm. 

That dank moist horridness that only comes courtesy of tropical maritime air , and oh joy oh joy we have more of it to come this week. It is thoroughly miserable at least we have the christmas lights to brighten things up, if it was the first or second week of January - it would feel much worse..

I love winter, but not when it brings days like today.

Prefer it to gales and rain though, not rained/drizzled here today at all, can last for me, post Xmas looking miles worse low down

Posted
28 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Prefer it to gales and rain though, not rained/drizzled here today at all, can last for me, post Xmas looking miles worse low down

Yes I can see your point, it is usable weather and doesn't trouble anyone, so a blessing in this respect, especially at a time of year when people are on the go. Its the low cloud and grey murk that I find unappealing though. Bouts of heavy rain and wind provided they don't last too long I don't mind, unless courtesy of long fetch southwesterlies, generally also mean a changing cloudscape with bright spells and a clearance not far behind, but not always the join between secondary lows and fronts can seem perpetual at times in winter, but next week looks like more of a cleaner polar airstream.

Posted

On the bright-side (literally) we're just a day away from the Winter Solstice and heralding the slow transition back to longer days once again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Took this photo on Monday from my high part of Horwich looking down at the mecca of football.. lol 

FB_IMG_1513748995006.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

On the bright-side (literally) we're just a day away from the Winter Solstice and heralding the slow transition back to longer days once again.

Great, thanks for reminding me. Quite like the dark days of December. I can stay up until this time (6am) and go to sleep in the darkness rather than having it light by 4am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Exciting outlook. Grey with drizzle today, grey & mild thur, grey & mild fri, grey & mild sat.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just got back from Tenerife and the weather here is looking awful. The forecast looking terrible too. What happened to the cold? Is the jet stream shifted back north as usual?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

A Mild Christmas on the cards.

One word to describe it: Pathetic. :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

On the GFS 0Z for the first time the boxing day low looks to be going south of us giving us off-shore winds for a time. If this trend continues then we could see some snow from it, at least transiently. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

GFS 06z showing interest for Boxing Day.

Worth watching.

Posted

Xcweather and netweather saying snow as is ventusky for end of Christmas then Boxing Day through to Friday 29th up here.... will wait for the high resolution models to come into the frame before getting slightly excited.... still in mild mild Somerset at the moment but driving back this evening.... 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Xcweather and netweather saying snow as is ventusky for end of Christmas then Boxing Day through to Friday 29th up here.... will wait for the high resolution models to come into the frame before getting slightly excited.... still in mild mild Somerset at the moment but driving back this evening.... 

If i were 300m + i would be excited about the period between xmas onwards.

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

If i were 300m + i would be excited about the period between xmas onwards.

Netweather forecast for here still going for snow evening of Christmas Day/Boxing Day onwards....?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Ruddy awful out there, misty foggy drizzly, can't remember the last time I saw the sun. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

00z

Slider Low

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.8a5a4492f88ec6a58cea195b04fd86e4.png

Good prospects for NW elevated parts Boxing Day.

....even Merseyside.

Meanwhile coastal Sleet for the Fylde :nea:

06z rolling out now.

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted

I wished I could stay in Tenerife until the New Year. How many times seen this weather around Christmas? Quite a lot recently. Back in the 00s we use to have some sort of a cold snap around Christmas. Not anymore.

Posted

Yes i think our members with 300m + altitude will do well next week- could be very snowy for will FG snowmad etc...

Rest of us will have to just keep a watching brief, meto update still persisting with the theme of hill snow in the north...