Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The MetO app for South Manchester has upgraded (40m ASL) .

Just showing snow now from 4pm tomorrow. No sleet. Good news. 

Thats great news Joe :)

Posted
25 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

I think we are going to need even more good luck Joe ;) if you are based in Didsbury I'm in Sale M33.. At 45m asl.. its our chance though

I think we should at least see snow falling from tomorrow evening onwards. Whether it settles or not is a different story! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Joe Bloggs said:

I think we should at least see snow falling from tomorrow evening onwards. Whether it settles or not is a different story! 

My met office app last update from 3pm still shows some sleet mixed up with snow from 4pm tomorrow... we are v close and very similar asl. It shows apps not v reliable..

Posted

Every time I open the BBC app it appears to be intensifying tomorrows event gone from mainly sleety with a window of proper light snow in the afternoon tomorrow to a sleet in the day time to snow in the evening turning to sleet overnight. Potential for a few cms from this. Hopefully the sleety ends can be intensified to prevent slushfest.

Although I'd quite like my forecast to look more like the Moorside forecast mentioned above. Heavy snow all day, haven't seen that since i lived in the North East in 2010 and that didn't actually materialised. That Moorside forecast has 37 hours of consecutive snow. I think I might be pricing up rent in Moorside if that materialises.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Rain and sleet on BBC app for me :nonono:

Posted

Think we all know the apps are useless but i'd rather see them upgrade than downgrade all the same..

Its obviously nonsense to expect heavy snow all day as the warning from the metoffice would more like 26 cm rather than 6cm..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Think we all know the apps are useless but i'd rather see them upgrade than downgrade all the same..

The apps are generally useless for anything beyond 24 hours and if you want a exact weather forecast; but they give you enough of an idea of what type of weather will fall from the sky.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

The apps are generally useless for anything beyond 24 hours and if you want a exact weather forecast; but they give you enough of an idea of what type of weather will fall from the sky.

well yes - and tbh they have now upgraded for my location with temps between 0-1 all day and mainly heavy snow..

Heavy Snow

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

well yes - and tbh they have now upgraded for my location with temps between 0-1 all day and mainly heavy snow..

Giving me hail back to rain tonight despite the temperature being the same? How does that work?

Posted
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

Giving me hail back to rain tonight despite the temperature being the same? How does that work?

Not sure- whats your altitude DSP.

Posted

That GFS mean does look amazing! Let's hope it continues shifting slightly more south.

...though saying that it is impossible for that feature to keep up all happy, as for someone it will be too far north and others too far south! haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
26 minutes ago, Dexter said:

This week is shaping up to be excellent. Chance of significant snow showers throughout and if that low keeps shifting South, potential for a significant spell of snow midweek or is that getting a bit carried away?

Not at all D it's all about that low. ?

Its wether or not we just get snow on the leading edge and then turns to rain for a period before the cold air comes back giving snow and sleet showers again. Or wether it remains as snow at it passes. With the low lower than lastnight we have a better chance of this. But at the moment these models have it flying round like a kite lol. But it's definitely looking better and location has already upgraded twice today. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Need another 100m alti29F32DF6-C4BC-4112-91C4-E635FA6CD1A3.thumb.png.fcba97421d35f5f82e00e5d7de8a84be.pngtude 

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

The GFS mean looks tremendous to me !!

Sorry, I wasn't being sarcy or anything, I'm just generally not sure what I'm meant to be looking at? Is it the fact the squiggly lines are further south?

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Not sure- whats your altitude DSP.

180m 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Let's not get giddy here.. remember we have been in 2 amber warnings and they have both gives  us nowt...

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Sorry, I wasn't being sarcy or anything, I'm just generally not sure what I'm meant to be looking at? Is it the fact the squiggly lines are further south?

180m 

You have decent altitude there- the ONLy issue is you are further west than me by a good 30 miles- that wont help.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

180m 

Take a look at the 18z mean of yesterday  and compare it to the current 12z. You can see it is further south hence there are more ensembles in the 12z having it tracker further south.

GFSAVGEU18_78_1.pngGFSAVGEU12_60_1.png

• Like 2