Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Cheers mate

Now that is something to get excited about,just imagine.

Puts our few cm of slush into prospective.

C.S. 

Yes it does

mixed-slush-puppy.jpg:rofl:

Posted

Late one from me - looking good for Cumbria at long last for some decent snowfall Friday morning, hoping it will stick for a while before being washed away in time for Saturday - will be the first proper snowfall of the season, and I'm expecting the front to make stuttering progress northwards, delaying the inevitable thaw..

8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Late one from me - looking good for Cumbria at long last for some decent snowfall Friday morning, hoping it will stick for a while before being washed away in time for Saturday - will be the first proper snowfall of the season, and I'm expecting the front to make stuttering progress northwards, delaying the inevitable thaw..

Was up in Cumbria a few weeks back? About three weeks ago. Had decent snowfall then. Was in windermere and went up the kirkstone pass. A good foot in places????

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

The virus can last at least a week on all surfaces unfortunately. There wasn't one part of the bathroom that didn't get bleached when my mum had it and she was banished to her room and gloves put on to handle the bedding and put on a hot wash. 

I went through 4 bottles of bleach and bleach spray disinfecting the door handles and any surfaces she may have touched (light switches etc). Took 3 or 4 days of bleaching and scrubbing.

That sounds a tad OCD to me it’s not the Plague/Ebola.

Let viruses run their course, it’s good for your immune system it’s very hard to fight them regardless of what you do. In the Victorian age they didn’t get ill from minor ailments etc they were exposed to a lot of grime and bacteria and built a resilience, nowadays kids don’t have it and then they pass it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Let viruses run their course, it’s good for your immune system it’s very hard to fight them regardless of what you do. In the Victorian age they didn’t get ill from minor ailments etc they were exposed to a lot of grime and bacteria and built a resilience, nowadays kids don’t have it and then they pass it. 

Nah it's best not to get in the first place. We've all had it and not immune to it the next time it does the rounds as it mutates as it goes. So yeah i don't share towels and the like when it's in the house. As it's spread via the human chocolate particles one would imagine bleaching the bathroom would suffice if hands are washed thoroughly. Hard with kids however 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Nothing a few gravy thickeners, aka diocalm won't sort out 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
20 minutes ago, swainclubber said:

Nah it's best not to get in the first place. We've all had it and not immune to it the next time it does the rounds as it mutates as it goes. So yeah i don't share towels and the like when it's in the house. As it's spread via the human chocolate particles one would imagine bleaching the bathroom would suffice if hands are washed thoroughly. Hard with kids however 

Because its a virus. Very rarely do we get immune to viruses by our selves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I am OCD

And viruses are not good for your immune system. Well not the likes of colds and noro as their constant mutating nature means that you cannot build up immunity to them. Once you've had noro you'll do anything not to get it again...trust me. I was that bad with it when I was 13 that I actually thought I was on the way out. Same when I had flu (proper flu).

Viruses such as noro and colds are bad for your immune system because not only can you not develop immunity, whilst you have them they make you more susceptible to even nastier illnesses.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, swainclubber said:

Yes its spread in poop and vomit particles and is ingested as a form of transmission. It's not commonly inhaled like the cold virus. So as you say a full bleach down and hand washing thoroughly helps A LOT. 

You are correct in what you say, it's best not to get it in first place as you cannot build up an immunity to it. Once you have had it, you are only protected from that strain for about 3 months.

When my mum had it, she was laid that low that it lead to her getting two other illnesses shortly after due to the suppressed immune system.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Just had a An-12B flying out from Ireland over south Manchester this minute with a loud 'droning' noise which certainly got my attention. As have the wintry showers now coming down from Liverpool

Posted
25 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Just had a An-12B flying out from Ireland over south Manchester this minute with a loud 'droning' noise which certainly got my attention. As have the wintry showers now coming down from Liverpool

Heard this in Morley very strange rumble noise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Snow showers to the north, south, east,  west! Wirral nothing but good old rain & hail! God I hate living here, how the hell did I end up loving snow so much. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Fully white outside, just a shame it’s only frost but maybe this time tomorrow it will be through heavy snow rather than frost.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
4 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Snow showers to the north, south, east,  west! Wirral nothing but good old rain & hail! God I hate living here, how the hell did I end up loving snow so much. :cc_confused:

Because we all want what we can't have 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Because we all want what we can't have 

The Wirral is cruel though, one of the worst places

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks like Rain for Chorley tomorrow ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

1B228275-14E9-433E-9774-65A6DE3CC3E1.thumb.jpeg.183b8a9fa7b5c330e427bef7c56137e8.jpeg

Just like the MO warning.

MBY too low down. 80m asl no good.

may see a bit of sleet but heavy snow, v unlikely. 

???☔️☔️☔️☔️????

Posted

I expect there might be a dramatic half-hour or so tomorrow morning while the wet snow falls, but the mild air will soon took in behind so it won't last very long on the ground.  Feels very cold now though, another icy start.  That at least so far this winter appears to have been above average compared to recent years.

Posted

Buxtonweather showing temps at 0.5'c, but it must be a reporting error given that all the surfaces here are covered over with frost. 2x road reports in the NW already closed due to ice (Mancunian Way and Leek.) It's also snowing at the moment but very lightly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
40 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

I expect there might be a dramatic half-hour or so tomorrow morning while the wet snow falls, but the mild air will soon took in behind so it won't last very long on the ground.  Feels very cold now though, another icy start.  That at least so far this winter appears to have been above average compared to recent years.

It's definitely felt colder than average but if I take even my long term average and apply the absolute minimum that we've had this winter it's still a lot higher. I feel it's a struggle to record anything below -3C here recently. Absolute minimum this year is -2.8C .. the long term absolute minimum on average is a degree lower.