Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Im not sure if your getting us mixed up with somewhere else Daniel...

My location USED to be a decent location but since 1988 it has been absolutely garbage, believe me, iv'e lived through it!!

To be fair since then all places have seen a reduction in decent winters.

Most of the 90s winters and most of 2000s were largely terrible in the SE not sure for you, in as little as a decade ago there are some really alarmist articles how our winters have changed for good, then a cluster of good winters came up, and people’s expectations were thus elevated, I remember when we looked toward to northerly toppers!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
18 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Im not sure if your getting us mixed up with somewhere else Daniel...

My location USED to be a decent location but since 1988 it has been absolutely garbage, believe me, iv'e lived through it!!

and mine was before 2000 ish

Posted
40 minutes ago, cheese said:

One thing I've noticed is that the snow line often seems lower on this side of the Pennines. It could be snowing where I live at 86m asl but raining at 200m asl in Lancashire.

But we've missed the snow so far this season, so we're all in the same boat thus far. Everything too far bloody south. :wallbash:

Oh, and hasn't York gone like 4 years without settling snow? I think the last time they got any was January 2013. They are very low elevation, and since many snow events post-2013 have been very marginal, they've missed out.

That's what happens when we get older everything goes south 

Posted

Had a feeling it would be a bit doom and gloom in here tonight, given how once again most of the region is likely to miss out on a potential snow event, indeed similar to 9/10 Dec but this time things are more marginal.

Had the feature positioned itself 100 miles further north, then bingo even us in Cumbria might have had a chance. Alas once again not to be.

The fells have a decent cover again, making for a festive wintry scene, and it is icy cold. We haven't done well for snow so far this winter, but once again Cumbria looks prime to be the coldest part of England, a frost will linger through tomorrow making for a particularly cold day. 

Those bemoaning the warming effect of the Irish Sea, sometimes it can do a North Sea streamer effect, Dec 2009 being a good example, we had heavy snow from convective activity, even thunderstorms, what you need is low pressure to the NW, and slow moving trough features with a west/south westerly airstream, a very rare synoptics, but delivers potent snow to these parts at least. I've said before out best snowfalls come from battleground stalling frontal features, or warm fronts moving into cold air, with an onshore SE flow ahead of them, polar lows also do the trick, under such synoptics we in Cumbria at least can see trifle amounts of the stuff, but the last time we had such synoptics was March 2013. Jan 2016 delivered a mini event but nothing exceptional.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

All wave at the latest disappointment you might just catch it now if you look out of the window, you can't miss it a giant middle finger pivoting and slipping away into the distance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I feel sick reading the Midlands thread. 

2 snow events in 2 weeks. 

☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️❄️

Posted

uksnowforecast has 5cm of snow accumulated across the Pennines at Midnight, 5-10cm accumulations in the White Peak at 6am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Never mind, at least this time around I wasn’t expecting anything so less disappointment.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

uksnowforecast has 5cm of snow accumulated across the Pennines at Midnight, 5-10cm accumulations in the White Peak at 6am.

It will be the peaks/eastern side of the pennines.

There will be zip this side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Looks like its gonna clip north west, maybe some patchy ppn but looks like any where around pennines/huddersfield eastwards should do well

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Looks like its gonna clip north west, maybe some patchy ppn but looks like any where around pennines/huddersfield eastwards should do well

Yup.

Looks good for west yorks.

Guna miss me 30miles to my south and probably around 15 or so to my east.

LOL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Yup.

Looks good for west yorks.

Guna miss me 30miles to my south and probably around 15 or so to my east.

LOL.

The last snow event caught us all by surprise though when it looked like the front had reached its most northern point but produced a bit more snow than expected

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It will be the peaks/eastern side of the pennines.

There will be zip this side.

You mean we need a zip slide so we can pop to where there's snow

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

The last snow event caught us all by surprise though when it looked like the front had reached its most northern point but produced a bit more snow than expected

Reverse psychology like it

Posted
Just now, itsnowjoke said:

You mean we need a zip slide so we can pop to where there's snow

LOL.

I just have to remind myself its only the weather, that said i'm going to take a break from this malarky for a while.

As the saying goes, when the fun stops, stop.

And, to be fair, its prett much the same thing year in year out, except this time others are getting the goods while we look on 20-30miles to far north.

It isn't bad luck, there are many factors helping to create the snow dome this region is.

Hopefully we might see some transient snow fri morning but i'll not hold my breath on that one...:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Don't read the Midlands thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine

Might just get a sniff here in ashton u lyne according to this map. ???

Screenshot_20171226-220312.png

Posted

Glad to be missing out on this to be honest.. Wet slushy sleet, that will look a bit pathetic in the morning.  Not the powder-puff dry snow that you can have fun with.  Nar... I'm glad to be forecast a reasonably dry, sunny cold day tomorrow, than what's on offer further south and east.  Cold icy rain & wind doesn't float my boat.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
16 minutes ago, Chris harry said:

Might just get a sniff here in ashton u lyne according to this map. ???

Screenshot_20171226-220312.png

Sniff of what .. Kebab more likely as its not snowing here in Hadfield even though the pinks indicate otherwise.