Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I think coastal parts of Cumbria are not best placed for snowfall, but you don't have to travel too far inland and snowfall chance increases markedly thanks to the higher terrain, and the effects of evaporative cooling. Granted the county tends to do better under frontal and trough features rather than convective showery airstreams, unless its a potent northwesterly or northeasterly airstream - winds have to be more WNW than NW though, a westerly and southwesterly does the trick, but are rare. NE airstreams and easterlies can bring heavy snow showers well into central cumbria if the wind is very strong -  but again not very often.

One thing central and eastern cumbria does better than most of the rest of the NW region is hold the snow longer once it falls and produces very low minima - think Dec 2010.

Cumbria is a world to itself when it comes to the weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Good to hear reports that the band of rain north of me is turning to snow in places with modest elevation. This bodes well for the final band which is exiting southwest Scotland now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Bloody hell, my potential has turned into some of the heaviest snow I've seen for a long time.

already a couple of cm on the road and it's still coming down.

yesterday we got sod all from a favoured westerly now we get an unexpected dumping from a north westerly.

This is turning out to be a weird winter 

• Like 3

Posted

Been lurking these boards for ages!!  In East Lancs and very surprised to see snowfall which has covered the roads and pavements!  Was only really expecting cold rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Raining yet again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Snow has eased off now and looking at the radar that could be the end of the really heavy stuff but it was impressive while it lasted.

just need clear skies and a temperature drop and my last drive to work until after new year could be interesting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
18 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I've got about 4 inch of snow now ..

no chance

Posted

Why is there something comforting about laying in bed listening to cars and trucks struggling up the main road.

its not often it happens but just glad it's not me trying to get home.

Posted

looks like the wind is veering NNW now meaning the trough will graze to me west.

still wet here- was snow mixed in last shower but think its a no-no for lying snow.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter, heatwaves in summer :)

Snowing again here :) and another covering already to add to this winters snow toll. Good stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sn0wmad79 said:

Snowing again here :) and another covering already to add to this winters snow toll. Good stuff.

Nice one snow mad!!

I'm just a little too low down but yours should stick around for a couple of days now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Some lightning from the trough now

Posted

Definitely not anywhere near last night here... big flakes n sort of heavy but very wet snowslushfest lovely... heaviest stuff disintegrates on radar too 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
2 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Lightning near @Backtrack

Was in the cinema watching Star Wars sorry hahah, not heard anything. Heavy rain, sleet and hail showers here though 

• Like 1