Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

IMG_20171210_092542853.jpg

IMG_20171210_092306925.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

yes its painful-

and the 00z runs are quite painful too.

Roll on summer..

Models don't look great this morning do they.

I wonder if we'll finally get that zonal winter that all the long rangers have been pointing to?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Is it just me or do all areas of snow seem to pivot at the Manchester Ship Canal, give or take a few metres of course.

maybe it isn't the case and it just comes from a nagging memory of when I actually used to get heavy snow from frontal events.

our "is it isn't it" trip to the Christmas markets is still up in the air as even though we've no falling snow here and little chance of it happening, the thoughts of wandering around a mixture of melting slush, spilt mulled wine and discarded pulled pork baps does nowt for me.

anyway at least Sky will be happy.

Posted
2 minutes ago, NickR said:

North Easterner here. I feel your pain. :/

Makes it worse that the NE had a lot of snow last week, and was never really in for the snow today. A lot of NW England, and probably Yorkshire, feel really put out today. I even cancelled all my plans for today, to enjoy a nice meal on Manchester, because of the warnings!

Posted

Dandruff finally falling here...

the big man above needs some of this..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfYedoihP_wlM6ZIyIlxz

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted

In all fairness I don't feel too bad about it missing us as it ended up quite a long way south but I did thought Manchester/Liverpool would do much better than it would end up doing, very hard luck really.

Oh well, may see some white stuff tonight and into the morning with a hard frost tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Even though I've had very little snow I'm still pretty happy. It's been much better than the last 4 years already, It's only early December, It's cold at the moment, not mild and wet. Hopefully more like this to come over the next few months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

Is it just me or do all areas of snow seem to pivot at the Manchester Ship Canal, give or take a few metres of course.

maybe it isn't the case and it just comes from a nagging memory of when I actually used to get heavy snow from frontal events.

our "is it isn't it" trip to the Christmas markets is still up in the air as even though we've no falling snow here and little chance of it happening, the thoughts of wandering around a mixture of melting slush, spilt mulled wine and discarded pulled pork baps does nowt for me.

anyway at least Sky will be happy.

They pivot the bloody north west

’oh look at these people in NW England who get nothing year after year. Wouldn’t it be a shame if we give the rest of England a dumping and not them *troll face*’

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 minutes ago, Maz said:

You must have snow up there from yesterday’s showers? 2-3cm in Summerseat, and Rossendale normally at least double what falls down here.

No we missed most of them up in Bacup and last nights continuous snow from about 7pm until after midnight only added a few millimetres to the cm I already had.

Posted
4 minutes ago, iand61 said:

There's nothing to speak of on the ground here in south Manchester, I'd be very surprised if there's any in town, so you don't have to worry about the slush.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

The met office really need a kick up the weeble,I know they started to backtrack yesterday but up until Friday night they were still saying widespread disruption to Northern England,how can they have got it so wrong?

Posted

Blooming hell, I was convinced I saw a couple of flakes pass the window but panic over, it's a bit of last nights effort blowing off the conifers.

Posted
1 minute ago, Spurry said:

The met office really need a kick up the weeble,I know they started to backtrack yesterday but up until Friday night they were still saying widespread disruption to Northern England,how can they have got it so wrong?

They underestimated the cold air pushing the slider south effect. It is a recurring problem with them and something we should watch out for next time there is a slider.

Posted
13 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

yes its painful-

and the 00z runs are quite painful too.

Roll on summer..

Yes i agree, roll on summer , can't wait for the warm rain:rofl:

Posted
1 minute ago, Spurry said:

I can sense people are frustrated and annoyed this morning...and with good reason. I think though that there will be other opportunities after Christmas into Jan. Looks to me like there will be another attempt to take the trop vortex down...possibly through a downwelling strat warming event sometime around Christmas.

Posted
2 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

There's nothing to speak of on the ground here in south Manchester, I'd be very surprised if there's any in town, so you don't have to worry about the slush.

Cheers mate, looks like it's back on again.

Posted

Love how this forum changed A*** to weeble :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If only I was off work... I'd head to Llangollen or Shrewsbury.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
11 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

They pivot the bloody north west

’oh look at these people in NW England who get nothing year after year. Wouldn’t it be a shame if we give the rest of England a dumping and not them *troll face*’

Could be worse. Nothing but rain here and 10cm+ of snow 10 miles up the road :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

You can see the lows centre over Bristol on the latest radar.

A1F1EE5C-0CBD-49EC-BAEE-5CA1241C5E07.png

Can confirm.

The sun came out for a brief period and temperature shot up to 4.2c

Posted

Also I'll just add...for those N of Cheshire in the region, situations like the GFS is showing this morning can spring surprises

h500slp.png

Little features crossing over the Irish Sea in sub 528 DAM air

hgt500-1000.png