Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
48 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Haven’t passed 100mm this month here so far with the total for the month currently 86mm.

Matt come to soggy ol' Poole (oh and Wareham). Mind you as I mentioned yesterday the New Forest is already underwater, tomorrow, I can foresee  a lot of roads flooded from field runoff..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
5 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Matt come to soggy ol' Poole (oh and Wareham). Mind you as I mentioned yesterday the New Forest is already underwater, tomorrow, I can foresee  a lot of roads flooded from field runoff..

Might not have had quite so much rain as you but I doubt the ground looks much different, very soggy and soft underfoot.

Still if last nights rain rate was like yesterday morning it might’ve looked more like this. 

8D02C180-7880-43F0-96B8-7E5DAEF05CE3.jpeg

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Octoberish is the word! It feels like one of those mucky southwesterlies we so often get at that time of the year. At least it's just a fleeting visit this time. 

Grim isn't it. I haven't had time to do any winter digging yet, was planning to crack on with it when I get back to work next week, can't see it happening any time soon with the ground so wet. On the plus side, the bulbs won't have a struggle to get through this year, that's assuming the rain lets up a bit before they rot off - oh the joys of being a gardener when you've spent 2k of someone else's money on bulbs and promised a knock out spring display. Fingers crossed....

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Jethro good luck with that,as a fellow gardener but on a smaller scale,some of my pub landlords have been promised spring gardens to pack em in but I have similar concerns to you.

Posted
15 minutes ago, jethro said:

- oh the joys of being a gardener when you've spent 2k of someone else's money on bulbs and promised a knock out spring display. Fingers crossed....

My advice is get down to the local stores and get some plastic flowers in quick. I'm surprised as you are a well seasoned player in this forum, and appreciate we are now well in to Global Warming (ignore the big Trump!). When people ask me for winter predicts I always go for warm mild & a lot of rainfall, which will certainly rot the bulbs. I've checked Google does a good deal in plastic daffodils..

PS, I know you do a good job, so don't loose heart.......yet..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

My advice is get down to the local stores and get some plastic flowers in quick. I'm surprised as you are a well seasoned player in this forum, and appreciate we are now well in to Global Warming (ignore the big Trump!). When people ask me for winter predicts I always go for warm mild & a lot of rainfall, which will certainly rot the bulbs. I've checked Google does a good deal in plastic daffodils..

PS, I know you do a good job, so don't loose heart.......yet..

Aye but knowledge doesn't outweigh a client's heart's desire. No amount of telling them that 100's of Alliums and Tulips is a bad idea when they live in an area with a very high water table, all you get in reply is 'but they're soooo pretty'. They're all planted on a thick layer of gravel so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, jy said:

Yes Jethro good luck with that,as a fellow gardener but on a smaller scale,some of my pub landlords have been promised spring gardens to pack em in but I have similar concerns to you.

I'm going to claim any failure as 'an act of god', it seems to work as a get out of jail free card for insurance companies ;-)

Posted
43 minutes ago, jethro said:

On the plus side, the bulbs won't have a struggle to get through this year, that's assuming the rain lets up a bit before they rot off

Daffodils and crocuses shooting up here! 

Posted
57 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Daffodils and crocuses shooting up here! 

Can you let Jethro have your address so she can pop round and nick a few....?

Oh no wait she's a tad choosy, she wants alliums & tulips (colour not specified)....oh well, emergency backup..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

I think it is....yes it is raining again...

Like clockwork...:pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

62.2mm of rain in the past 7 days, including today's current total. 

Light winds to a 36mph gust out of nowhere. :D

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Just had to do some gate fixing in sideways rain! Where did that wind come from ? ? 

Posted

The temperature was dropping slowly but it's suddenly risen back to 11.6°C and the winds suddenly increased. 6.6mm today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Judging by the radar and the 18Z Euro precip model, it looks as though the heaviest rainfall stays well out in the channel, and not in the yellow warned area.

17123106_3018.thumb.gif.3131bfd3d550e0b362a00797ed1d9784.gif viewimage.thumb.png.72b1a2458eca83ca5719140e827e93ab.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
4 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Can you let Jethro have your address so she can pop round and nick a few....?

Oh no wait she's a tad choosy, she wants alliums & tulips (colour not specified)....oh well, emergency backup..

White, white and more white please, possibly a bit of green fringing to the tulips. Client wants a white garden, they get a white garden, totally ruthless in pulling out rogue intruders.

Oh and it's raining here again too. Beyond tedious now, we'll all need webbed feet before too long.

Edited by jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Up in Inveraray and storm Dylan is packing a few punches.. quite a change from the snow and ice and being stuck on near Glencoe for an hourly so on account of some Poor person sliding off the road. Yes it is sheer ice not water on those photos . (If I can manage to post them) 

Anyone know when storm Dylan due to pass? 

E12B3D06-EEB6-47CC-B0FA-360EE28242BB.jpeg

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

Woken by torrential rain and gusting wind at about 05.30 and again an hour later, pretty sure I heard thunder in between too.

Very benign now, 9.8c .

Posted

As Mapantz eluded to earlier the heaviest rainfall appears to have missed us, as rainfall figures far below initial forecasts. Currently 10.4C, wind is dropping as pressure begins an upward trend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

A lot of hangback of cloud to clear following overnight rain but 9mm in the last 24 hours is a lot less rainfall than was feared thankfully.

3952A633-E2E8-464B-96C9-61F6B660062E.thumb.jpeg.cfdda6612756fd4555f291aa281350c6.jpeg86855855-4F76-45C5-BD19-E8BFA69DB259.thumb.jpeg.c4b3772e343afbf37b89d2df5658980c.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Good Morning All,

The storm didn't seem too bad at this location, plenty of rain over the past few days along with snow melt.

Another grey meh day here.