Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

There is some impressive altitude around there - are you high up ? 

Yes, top of a hill!

DSC_0568.JPG

Edit: Snowing very heavily - huge flakes coming down hard.  Easily 2-3 inches has settled. 

Edited by Luke Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Well, I’m happy it’s snowed, and it’s white outside. Maybe I’m being greedy but I am just a little disappointed after going to bed at nearly 2am with it snowing heavily, with loads more on the radar, that there isn’t any more outside now than there was at 2! Less snow than last time. 

Anyway reality check, lying snow twice this month, and only the first month of winter. I’ll stop being so miserable, it’s great really. 

Edited by SilverWolf
  • Like 1

Posted

I've just driven to work from Bournemouth to Farnborough up the M3. The rain in Bournemouth turned to snow up Poulner hill and over the forest (settling at Rufus Stone) and then it was patchy until Twyford. After that loads of snow through Winchester to Basingstoke. Less here at work but snowing hard now.

Looks like it's passing east quickly.  

Posted

3 inches laying when i went to bed just after 1; everything was covered in thick snow and it was still snowing. Got up at 8 this morn and it's a slushy mess. Guess it turned back to rain for a time. Thaw will be complete by 10 i suspect.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Luke Best said:

Yes, top of a hill!

DSC_0568.JPG

Edit: Snowing very heavily - huge flakes coming down hard.  Easily 2-3 inches has settled. 

You're probably around 800 feet so nuff said - enjoy! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Woken up to a nice surprise this morning.  I was expecting maybe a sprinkling but we have a good couple of inches here in North Yate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Last one from me.

As Blue says, altitude is key. Anyone thinking of travelling in the search of snow would do well to go somewhere well above sea level - Portadown Hill,Butsor Hill got to be a good shout.

Living in Bournemouth, we're truly snow starved.  I'll never forget as a small kid when my Dad drove me up to Shaftesbury one winter. (1981?). Bournemouth had nothing, there was a dusting 10 miles inland and by the time we'd got to the hills of Shaftesbury, there were snow drifts several foot deep by the sides of the road.  I was wonderstruck and that has never left me!

DSC_0575.JPG

Edited by Luke Best
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Nothing except rain here as far as I know.  There may have been some wintriness in the early hours, but there was so much water lying it didn't do anything other than melt on contact.  Total of 40.4mm for the last two days, but the brightness is in evidence to the NW and heading this way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Morning all....a bit of slush on my windscreen dropping my car into the garage....but now 1.7C and a few sleety bits mixed in with the rain...i didn't expect anything being relatively close to the coast.

But well done to those that woke up to a wintry surprise....to have 2 southern snow events in december in this region is a bit of a rarity...but hopefully we can all look forward to being glued to the model output and lamposts and get some more seasonal cheer....:cold::clap:.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Got up, ran to the window..... big fat nothing here. Should not have expected anything really. Can’t remember the last time we had laying snow. :fool:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, went to bed about 2.30 and everything had a good covering, blowing a hoolie and snowing heavily. The dogs woke me a couple of hours later (wind blowing over the aga flue sounded like blowing over a bottle top, grumpy, barky dogs) and it was still snowing heavily, a good 2-3 inches on the ground. This morning though, still a good covering, probably 1 1/2 inches or so but melting fast. That wind is bitter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes I think another dress rehearsal for a proper event. Glad I saw it snowing and settling last night as you really wouldn't know it now. Oh well.

Posted
11 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning all, went to bed about 2.30 and everything had a good covering, blowing a hoolie and snowing heavily. The dogs woke me a couple of hours later (wind blowing over the aga flue sounded like blowing over a bottle top, grumpy, barky dogs) and it was still snowing heavily, a good 2-3 inches on the ground. This morning though, still a good covering, probably 1 1/2 inches or so but melting fast. That wind is bitter!

Worth making a trip to the Mendips do you think?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Zero snow here. It was expected though.

Same here! All this talk of white covering everywhere is lost on us...

wind has dropped, slightly, temp 3.2C..

Posted

Went up Portsdown Hill, perhaps 1-2 inches but melting quickly now. 

Interesting to look across Portsmouth - south of the M27, not much at all, nothing near the coast.

Amazing how even an extra 50m made all the difference.

Anyway all stopped now

Posted
14 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Worth making a trip to the Mendips do you think?

If you're quick, it's melting fast. Head high, it's about 200mtr asl here, expect the plateau, being another 50-100 mtrs higher will have more. Try Priddy/Charterhouse then warm up at the Queen Vic gingerbread pub in Priddy.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, jethro said:

If you're quick, it's melting fast. Head high, it's about 200mtr asl here, expect the plateau, being another 50-100 mtrs higher will have more. Try Priddy/Charterhouse then warm up at the Queen Vic gingerbread pub in Priddy.

Thanks! I'll venture out soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Nothing doing really on Dartmoor. Sprinkle of snow now really ice patches around 300 metres. Bit more up at 500 metres on the highest tors but a much a do about nothing. Shame looked so promising at 2am

Posted

Took these before going to bed , glad I did as the snow on the Christmas trees had all melted by the time I got up, should have taken more when the dogs woke me as there was a thick covering then, but there are limits to my snow obsession.

DSC01812.JPG

DSC01809.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

Just walked to our local Tesco express for newspaper and pavements lethal with icy slush. Still have snow cover on grass, cars and roofs of about 1 inch. Messy slushy though so really hope it thaws before rest of Winter gives us biting dry south easterlies with copious amounts of deep drifting powder snow:D

• Like 2