Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Hereford and Shropshire seem to be the cold spots. Temps of -8/-9C already recorded. I'm calling it and switching the heaters off for the night!

Shawbury reporting -10C at 23.50pm. 

-3C for me.

Edited by EllyTech
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve seen lightning to the SW from up here in NE Somerset. We have had a few sleety snowy showers over recent hours when the wind really whips up but nothing of note. Incidentally I am not a lover of

MORNING GANG ,i have not posted much lately ,recently lost my lovely wife of 38 yrs married .Up till about 10 minutes ago i was sat watching the pouring rain and watching the trees swirl in the wind ,

hi gang ,our local yard where they keep the gritters opened up about two hours ago ,they are loading up as i type ,gone much colder last thirty minutes ,think higher elevations could get a good coveri

Posted Images

Got down to -4.0c now  back up to -3.1c. Now I’ve got to go scrape the ice off the car... remind me why  we like this cold weather. 

EDiT: think -4.0c will be broke very quickly back down to -3.7c. FROST WATCH is fun :crazy:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

-4.2c was my overnight low. Not seen temperatures like that for a while!! Nice. Shame we won’t be repeating it for a while 

edit: still dropping :oops:

Edited by karlos1983

Very cold start here in NE Somerset with a lot of clear skies and temperatures of -5C currently.

I’ve taken a look at the model output this morning and it looks like by this time next week we will be looking at double figure temperatures widely across the area under long fetch SW’lies.

213E31FA-7DDE-4B8E-B8C7-AF66F912782F.jpeg

F65FA0E7-CA04-42D1-9538-65E62CFB6A06.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Very cold start here in NE Somerset with a lot of clear skies and temperatures of -5C currently.

I’ve taken a look at the model output this morning and it looks like by this time next week we will be looking at double figure temperatures widely across the area under long fetch SW’lies.

213E31FA-7DDE-4B8E-B8C7-AF66F912782F.jpeg

F65FA0E7-CA04-42D1-9538-65E62CFB6A06.jpegGreat to hear from you again Gibby and what a great website you have too. I had a quick peek and it's a great layout and the weather station information is very well set out - even a newbie like me can understand it . Thank you . 

We had drizzly rain through yesterday, some seemed slightly sleety, 3.6mm in total.
A high of 3.2c yesterday around 4pm, when it started to drop to -0.2c at midnight and a low of -1.8c at 6:30am

It is now -1c, NW very light wind, 1009.0 hPa rising.

2 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Have to take back what I said last night about it being an unremarkable night. Nowhere near the record (thank goodness! -double figures isnt a lot of fun) but coldest night of the year by some way.

I don't think its really a problem until you get past  -25c if you dress okay.

Past -30c and breathing hurts and then once it hits -40 and then finally -47c with a breeze which i experienced in finland a few years back you realize you just cant put enough layers on to cope and there is a limit to what you can handle.. :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I don't think its really a problem until you get past  -25c if you dress okay.

Past -30c and breathing hurts and then once it hits -40 and then finally -47c with a breeze which i experienced in finland a few years back you realize you just cant put enough layers on to cope and there is a limit to what you can handle.. :laugh:

-15 or so and we'd have problems with our utility room (it's not heated and it's single skin) but if we regularly had it so cold we'd insulate and heat it. Unfortunately I also in a barn which is only partly heated (fine with layers as you say) but trying to open padlocks at 6 am when its this cold is no fun!!!

22 minutes ago, Nick_Somerset said:

Clutching at straws but as its soooo cold this morning...any chance of this rain later being snow? Or are we looking further ahead for the next snow chasing event? 

If you lived in south Dorset, you would realise that the only time you can expect snow is around the 32nd of Decembruary. 

24 minutes ago, Nick_Somerset said:

Clutching at straws but as its soooo cold this morning...any chance of this rain later being snow? Or are we looking further ahead for the next snow chasing event? 

Sadly not and the next snow chasing event could be weeks away yet. Certainly mild in terms of no snow to at least Christmas..........but the weather is fickle and could change tact just don't bet on it!

Edited by festivalking