Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve seen lightning to the SW from up here in NE Somerset. We have had a few sleety snowy showers over recent hours when the wind really whips up but nothing of note. Incidentally I am not a lover of

MORNING GANG ,i have not posted much lately ,recently lost my lovely wife of 38 yrs married .Up till about 10 minutes ago i was sat watching the pouring rain and watching the trees swirl in the wind ,

hi gang ,our local yard where they keep the gritters opened up about two hours ago ,they are loading up as i type ,gone much colder last thirty minutes ,think higher elevations could get a good coveri

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Just had a mosy at the models.....Argh! After tomorrow the long march to mild mush commences. I do hope something changes soon can see Christmas temps being double figures at this rate

It's not all bad, towards month end already signals of a considerable cool down in the ensembles (posted in Mad Thread). Which ties is with the MetO thoughts as well.

 

Edited by karlos1983
Link to post
Share on other sites

Only rain here with the odd bit of sleet this morning.  I can see blue skies advancing from the NW and the breeze appears to have dropped a bit too.  It was snowing on the Dorset Downs in the Cerne Abbas area this morning my OH has reported.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

It's not all bad, towards month end already signals of a considerable cool down in the ensembles (posted in Mad Thread). Which ties is with the MetoO thoughts as well.

 

True I have to keep reminding myself it' but halfway through December yet and already we've had two bites of the cherry....sour bites. Well if favourable conditions return let's hope it's from the east or north east not north or north west. Mind you with a norwester I'm in a great spot for ppn just that it's not a cold enough source for it to be really good.

Big respect for the met office but there long range predictions are wide of the mark in my experiences.

Anyway anyone got any ideas what cheeky feature this forecast is linked too...be gone in an hour mind

Screenshot_20171211-125509.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm ... whilst no snow on the horizon , we still have the icy night ahead of us... Just looked at my forecast,. -6 tonight and a wind chill of -12  ....:cold::cold-emoji:.... Mr CEO of southern electric will be rubbing his hands in glee tonight as all of us whack up the heating.... those that can though - I presume some are still without power... :80::shok:. This is when we really need to check on our elderly neighbours.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun just come out here, Abingdon. Still got 1cm-3cm on most off-road surfaces. Enough to ensure that we will have an exceptionally cold night tonight with clear skies. Probably the coldest in a few years locally. We may just about manage an ice day on Tuesday before a rapid thaw on Wedneday.

Edited by audiotech
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, festivalking said:

True I have to keep reminding myself it' but halfway through December yet and already we've had two bites of the cherry....sour bites. Well if favourable conditions return let's hope it's from the east or north east not north or north west. Mind you with a norwester I'm in a great spot for ppn just that it's not a cold enough source for it to be really good.

Big respect for the met office but there long range predictions are wide of the mark in my experiences.

Anyway anyone got any ideas what cheeky feature this forecast is linked too...be gone in an hour mind

Screenshot_20171211-125509.png

The final kick in the teeth is complete!!!! Bring on the mild mush no false hopes then!!! :rofl:

Picture1.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope this isnt the only cold spell in england this winter. Most people would remember it for being reasonable... except for west country :nonono:

So we going to play how low will it go tonight and give this winter I mean cold spell its send off :cray:

Temperature is dropping like a stone here already. -1.8c

Edited by Nights King
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nights King said:

So we going to play how low will it go tonight and give this winter I mean cold spell its send off :cray:

Well given my location and of course a lack of snowcover I certainly won’t be winning that game. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Well given my location and of course a lack of snowcover I certainly won’t be winning that game. 

Neither, I'm predicted a low of 0C tonight, looks like we're escaping the very low temperatures!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a veteran of the BBCS Snow Watch fiasco years ago,i used to have the avatar Hampshire no snow triangle,ok 09 and 10 changed that,but ive lived down here 27 years,take out 04 thundersnow,95 which wasn't as good as elsewhere and a bit of 13,other than 9am dusting gone by midday stuff,dont remember anything really noteworthy,however an ex Met man on here sent me an info sheet showing that the area I live has statistically the poorest record for lying snow in the uk,surprised me,but events over 25 years might make it possible,things have to be super perfect for this region but one day...........................

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

Well the rather pathetic cold spell draws to a close and without much snow cover i doubt we shall break any cold records tonight :nonono:

Ice day at last though -0.3c just.

We couldn't even ruddy manage that!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a beautiful day here, clear blue sky and sunshine, bloody cold though. It's going to be a chilly one tonight, already below zero here -1.4. Why couldn't it be that cold yesterday eh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

(Enough now)

Now we all know not to trust PPN charts certainly not from GFS but this does show potential for some wintery ppn in the usual spots on Thursday. 

72-574UK_kqp4.GIF

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, festivalking said:

 

(Enough now)

Now we all know not to trust PPN charts certainly not from GFS but this does show potential for some wintery ppn in the usual spots on Thursday. 

72-574UK_kqp4.GIF

 

FK its time to move on... its over mate :laugh::lazy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

I do hope this isnt the only cold spell in england this winter. Most people would remember it for being reasonable... except for west country :nonono:

So we going to play how low will it go tonight and give this winter I mean cold spell its send off :cray:

Temperature is dropping like a stone here already. -1.8c

Can get really cold here, I’m going to go with -4.5c for my location 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chris55 said:

Pretty grim here this morning, snows still in place, but it's the bleak type, bit drab and half melted, not exactly a winter wonderland. 

 

The car park at work was the most treacherous part of my journey this morning. :angry: My home road is iced over. The snow that we had (2-3 inches) yesterday is still laying - now hard an crusty. We received no more snow today. Very chilly right now. Windscreen wipers were frozen to the windscreen.:snowman-emoji:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...