Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
16 minutes ago, jethro said:

Mine's just pure flippancy. I guess what prompts it is the mad thread gets totally taken over when there's just the mere whiff of a breeze coming from the east. I get that it can once in a while lead to nirvana, but more often than not it leads to exactly what we currently have - cold murk. Maybe it's a population thing and this country being so SE centric all the damn time, but when an easterly is sniffed the rest of the country may as well take a hike in that thread. Anyone even vaguely saying it's going to snow in London, surrey, sussex etc have their posts ramped to high heaven, it's not based on the accuracy of their predictions, merely the often false hope and dreams it creates. Or at least that's how if often appears to me, but maybe I'm just a cantankerous old mare cheesed off with the damp gloom.

No that’s a fair summary, lol. Same can be said for some posters when a North westerly blows, you would think it’s the north west regional 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, jethro said:

Mine's just pure flippancy. I guess what prompts it is the mad thread gets totally taken over when there's just the mere whiff of a breeze coming from the east. I get that it can once in a while lead to nirvana, but more often than not it leads to exactly what we currently have - cold murk. Maybe it's a population thing and this country being so SE centric all the damn time, but when an easterly is sniffed the rest of the country may as well take a hike in that thread. Anyone even vaguely saying it's going to snow in London, surrey, sussex etc have their posts ramped to high heaven, it's not based on the accuracy of their predictions, merely the often false hope and dreams it creates. Or at least that's how if often appears to me, but maybe I'm just a cantankerous old mare cheesed off with the damp gloom.

Whoa, feisty or what...:aggressive:

Some nice development off to the South West, not a squall line per se, by definition, but a squall line anyway..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
11 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Whoa, feisty or what...:aggressive:

Some nice development off to the South West, not a squall line per se, by definition, but a squall line anyway..

I have my moments....

Ironically, I'm supposed to be spending my time coming up with 'mood' boards to show to the various house building companies, so they can get an idea of what we want and then quote. Is it any wonder that all the pictures so far are interiors bathed in light, mostly painted white. In danger of creating an operating room look at the mo. Oops.

Edited by jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
17 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

No that’s a fair summary, lol. Same can be said for some posters when a North westerly blows, you would think it’s the north west regional 

Not naming names but there’s a few regulars at that. 

Posted

Just looked at the BBC Weather for the week ahead,shows rain and mild,mod thread seem to be talking cold largely,all rather misleading.

Posted
15 minutes ago, jy said:

Just looked at the BBC Weather for the week ahead,shows rain and mild,mod thread seem to be talking cold largely,all rather misleading.

One is factual, one is hopeful, up to you how you look at it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, matt111 said:

@jethro gets a popular post in the MAD thread. :yahoo:

Apart from @karlos1983 does anyone else from here ever manage that? :rofl:

I got 2 likes and and 2 laughy  faces does that count?

Posted
30 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Not naming names but there’s a few regulars at that. 

Just a few ?

Right so the line of precipitation has passed Penzance so we should maybe start talking about when we migh see it. As Mapantz will confirm, it should reach Dorchester and fizzle out right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
12 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Just a few ?

Right so the line of precipitation has passed Penzance so we should maybe start talking about when we migh see it. As Mapantz will confirm, it should reach Dorchester and fizzle out right?

It was only being described as light and patchy on the forecast I saw last night so wouldn’t bet against that happening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
46 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

@karlos1983 I bet your Wunderground data and graphs look... funky?

Lol yes they do ?

8F879A3B-47CA-426A-89D5-D2E3BC0AA52C.thumb.png.de9c7a2db53d452138b69c24a9556538.png

Interesting pressure graph ?

Posted
On 1/7/2018 at 17:56, khodds said:

Aaaarrrgghhh!! Why are people posting charts from over a week away in the MAD thread?! It’s so flipping irritating ????

all im seeing today is shorts from 15/16th Jan.. Why?!

Khodds, you'll look forward to this then..

GFS weather model upgrade in 2019 - increased resolution to 9km and 128 levels out to 16 days, compared to the current run of 13 km and 64 levels out to 10 days. https://twitter.com/noaasatellitepa/status/950758541878616065 

So it won't be day10 when this happens in the MAD thread it'll be DAY 16!!!:rofl:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
8 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Khodds, you'll look forward to this then..

GFS weather model upgrade in 2019 - increased resolution to 9km and 128 levels out to 16 days, compared to the current run of 13 km and 64 levels out to 10 days. https://twitter.com/noaasatellitepa/status/950758541878616065 

So it won't be day10 when this happens in the MAD thread it'll be DAY 16!!!:rofl:

Oh dear god.... noooo!! Haha! It’ll be unbearable in there!! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

Oh dear god.... noooo!! Haha! It’ll be unbearable in there!! 

It already is a lot of the time. :rofl:

But we still go back for more. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
13 minutes ago, matt111 said:

It already is a lot of the time. :rofl:

But we still go back for more. 

So true!! We all need help. :rofl:.

Things are very interesting in there at the moment, I can’t tear myself away, TEIT and SM may be on to a winner with talk of the elusive easterly. They (and catacol I believe) talked of changes within 96 hours and things are starting to happen... will we get that Easterly after all....? Tune in for the next episode :friends:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
35 minutes ago, khodds said:

So true!! We all need help. :rofl:.

Things are very interesting in there at the moment, I can’t tear myself away, TEIT and SM may be on to a winner with talk of the elusive easterly. They (and catacol I believe) talked of changes within 96 hours and things are starting to happen... will we get that Easterly after all....? Tune in for the next episode :friends:

They have been getting interesting since the start of November :whistling:... 

But as soon as someone does complain someone from the midlands rides in to say we should all be grateful because its best winter in decades...:rofl:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Oh you! I know.. I know.. but we all love a good drama don’t we? It’s a bit like eastenders.. it never blooming ends. :rofl:

Posted
5 minutes ago, khodds said:

Oh you! I know.. I know.. but we all love a good drama don’t we? It’s a bit like eastenders.. it never blooming ends. :rofl:

I suppose the easterly is like waiting for dirty den to reappear.. :rofl:

Yes that was also the last episode i watched when he got killed off. :oops:

Edited by Nights King

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I suppose the easterly is like waiting for dirty den to reappear.. :rofl:

Hahaha!! Yes!!! Ain’t never gonna happen is it?!! 

Posted
7 minutes ago, khodds said:

It's a bit like watching "Miracle on 34th Street", you know the story, you the characters, and you certainly know the outcome....no miracle...but is there a twist.....:unknw:

Posted

To be honest I am looking forward to the chance of cold zonal... more chance of snow from that direction and at least we dont sit around day after day in this murky mendip filth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Hi all. My weather knowledge/model interpretation etc is at best pretty poor, but reading between the (many!) lines in the MOD thread is there the possibility at least of something a little unprecedented happening this month? Cold creeping slowly from the east, big high pressure, chunk of polar vortex coming from the NW. If these 2 things combine somehow, with a battleground scenario possibly dumping snow even in the SW (a bit like before but more so) then an easterly of sorts keeping temperatures down in what will be the heart of winter? Then maybe more from the NW or W? Possibly massive wishful thinking combined with ignorance from me, but it is different this winter even down here - apologies to those further SW than me who’ve had no snow, but we’ve not had any here for 5 years, and we’ve had 2 not-insignificant events before January. Feels different somehow. 2010 was unique of course, but this feels a bit familiar, maybe from the early 80’s. Though I was born in ‘76, so proper young ‘un then! 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

It's a bit like watching "Miracle on 34th Street", you know the story, you the characters, and you certainly know the outcome....no miracle...but is there a twist.....:unknw:

The outlook for coldies look great in 7 days time and then tomorrow the outlook looks great in 7 days endlessly recurring. The mad thread is always groundhog day.

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Nights King said:

But as soon as someone does complain someone from the midlands rides in to say we should all be grateful because its best winter in decades...:rofl:

I know lol talk about an insult.

Its like sending an arsonist to put out the fire.