Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

10 to 15mm level slushy snow in the end as measured at 9am, slowly melting but no complaints here. Looked a lot more, on the grass and roofs, to be fair but as in my post, any snow is good snow these days.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Snowing in stroud again! Won’t last long at all but wasn’t expecting any more. 

• Like 3

Posted

We had horizontal heavy snow between 6 and 7 am. It had settled on top of Clearbury down at approx ~ 140m, but that's all melted now. I went out for a walk at 7.30am and it was back to light rain in a gusting cold wind, which was horrible and just like the weekend of the 10th.

Nothing settled down here in the valley, but cars were passing in Downton with snow plastered on one side and clear on the other. They would have been from up the hill, towards the New Forest, no doubt.

Min of 1.8C, just before 6am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Heavy sleet hail shower here.

Posted

Still plenty lying here. Roads are now clear, but still lying snow on pavements, gardens and roofs. Nice to have the power back as well, after two power cuts!

Oh, and I got to use my snow shovel for the first time, to clear snow from our sloping drive. I bought it in 2011 and was beginning to think it would never get used!

Edited by noggin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
42 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

At Corfe Castle at the moment. It shows that elevation doesn't even help down here.

20171227_101800.thumb.jpg.cf02bb8f0d78e38543c0ba02650b85df.jpg

It is only 200ft to be fair.

We need a cold non marginal event for you down near coast really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Took jethro's advice and drove up a bit into the Mendips. Amazing what an extra 50m of altitude does. Lots of photos on the camera but to give an idea, this one from the phone.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Just rain here as per but I did see some snow up on the distant hills (the Quantocks) first thing but that seems to be disappearing now.

More notable is the wind this morning, gusting abound 35mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Yep, just taken the dog up to deer leap, got a mini snow fix! Amazing amount of water around too, moors are flooded and huge puddles on the road.

photo won’t upload :(

• Like 1

Posted

Looking like rain showers here for the afternoon here. Currently 3.8c if we get a prolonged shower evaporative cooling might help get the odd flake in with the rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Not a bad snow event here in Stroud, it was really enjoyable to watch its approach last night, with the lashing rain turning to heavy snow eventually about 1am. , not having to get up made it all the more fun :)

This morning we had a good 2/3 inches although a little wet it was a good covering, I made a snowman with my niece who was staying over early this morning before the melt started.

just been up the hill with the dog and although a slushy mess in suburbia the fields at eleveatuon are beautiful with about 3/4 inches of fluffy yet sticky snow.

all in all a nice little xmas snowfall.

simon the snowman just now :)

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.77234edc5b5c3b18059aa139efee7329.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Cheltenham usually does well in snowy situations. We had about 5cm in bishops cleeve but cleeve Hill 7-8cm. It’s turned v slushy in the village but with a freeze due tonight and a sunny start tomorrow cleeve hill will be wonderful. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
22 minutes ago, jtay said:

I like his haircut. :laugh:

I know lol, didn't have a hat so gave him hedge hair ?

Edited by chris55

Posted
3 hours ago, Nights King said:

It is only 200ft to be fair.

We need a cold non marginal event for you down near coast really.

The castle might be ut the hills are around 600ft, still doesn't help though. Unless the cold digs in first, these fleeting events do nothing but generate a lot of rain for us, as was the case over the past few days. At this rate with whats to come this week, I suspect I am going to be near 100mm of rainfall this month, it is very wet down here now.

Posted
2 hours ago, khodds said:

Yep,got a mini snow fix! 

photo won’t upload :(

That's coz we've banned all photo's of anything white until such time as the WHOLE area can appreciate those conditions, bah humbug....so there...;):whistling:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I see the Welsh mountains are shredding the showers again, meaning nothing is getting through to  us on the other side.

Posted

Cold but not much white stuff this morning. The light was spectacular though.

20171227_092821.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Took jethro's advice and drove up a bit into the Mendips. Amazing what an extra 50m of altitude does. Lots of photos on the camera but to give an idea, this one from the phone.

image.jpeg

Yes it looks stunning up top today.

Should be a cold night with laying snow too. 

Posted

I have to say, and based on the last few years, here in Gloucester we have had more days of falling snow than last year. Probably more.

For lying snow, well its still there as I type and crisping up. Gritters passing me on my way home. Generally all roads clear but as couple of inches on the paths. They'll likely stay overnight.

Went up to Cranham, a good 4 inches still after a lot if dripping this afternoon.

A crap winter, bol##\ks. More pre New Year for us than the whole of last winter, and many more preceding.

My youngest (10) said today this is the 3rd time she remembers snow, 2 of them in the last few weeks.

Apparently the south west may be due more start of the new year.

More sliders from NW to SE from Northern Ireland please, and south of the M4 for goodness sake. Those folk can't take anymore.

Edited by Snow shut work

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
7 minutes ago, Snow shut work said:

I have to say, and based on the last few years, here in Gloucester we have had more days of falling snow than last year. Probably more.

For lying snow, well its still there as I type and crisping up. Gritters passing me on my way home. Generally all roads clear but as couple of inches on the paths. They'll likely stay overnight.

Went up to Cranham, a good 4 inches still after a lot if dripping this afternoon.

A crap winter, bol##\ks. More pre New Year for us than the whole of last winter, and many more preceding.

My youngest (10) said today this is the 3rd time she remembers snow, 2 of them in the last few weeks.

Apparently the south west may be due more start of the new year.

More sliders from NW to SE from Northern Ireland please, and south of the M4 for goodness sake. Those folk can't take anymore.

Hi, I grew up in Gloucester and this reminds me (from childhood memories, I’m 41, so prob a bit unreliable!) of winters in the early-mid 80’s. I’m near Stroud in Rooksmoor now, and I’ve scrapped ice of my windshield at least a 15 times this month when it hasn’t snowed, had 3 inches snow a couple weeks ago, and 2 inches last night which is still on the grass and now freezing. In those memories this type of December (including the mild wet bits) often lead to a better and more snowy period in jan and/or feb. Curious if the ‘pattern’ for this winter will be similar, if my memories are right that is! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I personally dislike the two setup's that brought others snow, they do absolutely nothing for here! It's an Easterly or go home, job.

• Like 2