Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted

MetO warning was well timed I think. Comes into effect just after midnight. 30mph regular gusting (reports from nearby town-based weather station) doesn't seem like much but this is a relatively sheltered town. Winds will be higher at elevations on the outskirts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just had a barrage of 46 - 47mph gusts. My station always make me jump, as it beeps briefly when gusts are 40+mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
50 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Pub run delivers an easterly from China :rofl: sure thing 

Fear not I'm sure it would suck in some air from Africa somehow before reaching us.. :nonono:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Just had a barrage of 46 - 47mph gusts. My station always make me jump, as it beeps briefly when gusts are 40+mph.

Wildness coming I think. 

The station I quote from is much nearer to the centre of town than I am. Wind is actually creaking my roof at times. Nothing serious, just like the sound of floorboards creaking. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sounded like a few stronger gusts just now. 

Posted

Gust of 93mph recorded at Capel Curig around midnight.
Arpege hinted at some more rapid deepening I hear... seems the pressure is a tad lower at center than forecast maybe? nearly 980mb and dropping thought they had 987mb for midnight idk.
Guess will just have to wait if was a one off guster or whether its picking up more than forecasts were trending towards!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seem to be in a bit of a lull at the moment, still windy but not as windy as half an hour ago. 

Posted
1 hour ago, EllyTech said:

Wind is actually creaking my roof at times. Nothing serious, just like the sound of floorboards creaking. 

Ours does that - pretty unnerving when you're trying to sleep under it!

Posted
14 minutes ago, bellanite said:

Horrible drive home branches and debris everywhere!

Yeah sounds nasty out there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

The consistent wind is as high as I've had in the East Midlands for years, the gusts are quite spectacular! ! Luckily I moved from somewhere very exposed to a sheltered mooring just a couple of days ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well that was windy last night.. around 330am it was properly going for it. A westerly also so I shouldn’t really hear much where the house is located. But I did last night on the same level as feb 2014 - so suspecting they were pretty high gusts? . I did manage to fasten down the bins before hand  ... I seem to always have to do next doors also as the carers for the old lady do nothing but overflow them, ( never putting them out for collection) and the contents are constantly spilling all over my garden, so I am not so sure what I will be greeted with when I get outside this morning - I think one went for a good spin over night  Still a fair few gusts kicking in.... 

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

And just to rub my nose in it! This pops up on my time line this morning, January 18th 2013.

:wallbash::angry::nonono:

944F37E9-74F7-4F7E-B5A0-E03794E5F969.jpeg

Posted

A long windy night, that picked up around 11pm, starting with 20-25mph WSW winds and gusts of 30-35mph.
A spell of 25-30 mph WSW winds and many 40-49mph gusts from 12:40am to 2:30am
Since then its been Westerly winds of 20-25mph and gusts of 30-37mph.
Wind last hour has been W 18-23mph, with quite a few 30-38mph gusts.

1.8mm of rain from 10pm to midnight and 3.8mm rain has registered since midnight.
Temp was 9.3c at midnight and rose to 10.8c around 2am and has dropped since to 8.8c now
Pressure dropped overnight to a low of 996 around 3am and is starting to rise now, 1000.1 hPa

Bins are over everywhere and many fences down.
I was lucky to survive no damage, but there are a lot of small tree branches scattered over our back garden from somewhere.

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

A few gusts of 40mph+ but not as windy as the 2nd/3rd Jan.

Definately agree with you, less windy than previous, with it peaking around midnight. No immediate signs of wind generated damage apart from I noticed one bin blown over, which in 5miles isn't a lot of visible damage. Anyway, moving on it's 8.2C down from an overnight low around 04:00 of 10.9C, wind is now in from the west, and it's partly cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

The warning was updated 3 hours ago from the Met o to include Taunton again . 

A very very wet night with howling winds . I'm Giotto check for damage as I head out as I have to leave shortly . 

Hope,everyone is okay and unscathed after the nights' shannegins. 

Thanks again Knocker for your chart. That's what alerted me to the fact that we could be in a spot of bother . 

Posted
58 minutes ago, fromey said:

And just to rub my nose in it! This pops up on my time line this morning, January 18th 2013.

:wallbash::angry::nonono:

944F37E9-74F7-4F7E-B5A0-E03794E5F969.jpeg

That was 2 weeks before we moved house, since living in our current house there has been nothing more than either flurries or a wet dusting that's gone in a few hours!

A very rough night around here, constant roaring wind through the woods on the East side of Warminster/West side of Salisbury Plain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I'm sick of this Winter, it's been very good for Scotland, Ireland & a lot of Northern England, while place in Central & Southern England have seen snow, Here in parts of the South West and South Coast we've been feeding of scraps of wintry showers.

It feels like the only way we would see anything decent snow wise is too get the mother of all cold spells, which we all know are as rare as hens teeth.

Looks drier and warmer next week which suits me, it can stay that way from now on as far as I'm concerned :nonono:

Edited by SteveB