Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Bit of a wild and noisy night around here, wind blowing over the flue sounds like blowing over a bottle in the day time, in the middle of the night and upstairs it sounds like a low budget B movie ghost. Woken by 'woooooooo' noises in the middle of the night, in those first few seconds of wakefulness my head responded with 'OH MY GOD!' and images of the scream mask.

Woken to a lovely morning though, clear, calm and mild - very spring like.

Posted
2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Well that was windy last night.. around 330am it was properly going for it. A westerly also so I shouldn’t really hear much where the house is located. But I did last night on the same level as feb 2014 - so suspecting they were pretty high gusts? . I did manage to fasten down the bins before hand  ... I seem to always have to do next doors also as the carers for the old lady do nothing but overflow them, ( never putting them out for collection) and the contents are constantly spilling all over my garden, so I am not so sure what I will be greeted with when I get outside this morning - I think one went for a good spin over night  Still a fair few gusts kicking in.... 

Just said the same thing. Just listening to the roar of the sustained winds was on a par with Feb 2014. Unfortunately I didn't tie my bin lid down and have had to rescue some of my rubbish from the street. Pressure dropped a lot lower than anticipated as the low crossed and deepened. Sustained winds here 35 mph+ gusts in high 50/ low 60s. Top gust 66mph. And I'm as far inland as you can get!

• Like 1

Posted

Last night's wind coincided with recycling collection day. There's bottles and cardboard everywhere around here.

Top gust of 39 mph last night at 04:50hrs.

image.thumb.png.ce754268756e62f68c8a90994b1567c4.png

Stuck a pillow over my head and slept right through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Just said the same thing. Just listening to the roar of the sustained winds was on a par with Feb 2014. Unfortunately I didn't tie my bin lid down and have had to rescue some of my rubbish from the street. Pressure dropped a lot lower than anticipated as the low crossed and deepened. Sustained winds here 35 mph+ gusts in high 50/ low 60s. Top gust 66mph. And I'm as far inland as you can get!

Yep - my local station recorded up to 58mph at yes 3.30 so that'll be the one that woke me up! apparently though 3 jan 2018 had the highest gust of 59mph! So you've beaten us on the gust front but that is definitely high for inland. Very tired and grumpy now!

Capture.JPG

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Bit blowy overnight. The garden sun loungers are now nice and cosy in one of our hedges, but still nothing as strong as December 10th. Much calmer and sunny this morning. What a disgusting forecast for next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Nearest weather station to me recorded a gust of 62mph at around 5am!

A big conifer went over next door, I think around 3am as I was awake and heard it go over, luckily into an open garden.

Windiest night around me I can remember for a long time.

Posted

2.50 on the dot and I woke! It was the roar of the sustained winds was the feature.  Thought I'd got away with damage as apart from rubbish the garden looked ok at first sight, but I've just been to feed the chickens at the bottom of the garden and my summer house is wrecked! The trellis has bern ripped off, the window blown in and that blew the doors out :angry::sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

winds peaked around here at just before 2am. Weather station in sandbanks registered a 57mph gust at 1:50am

My gates were blown wide open, somehow the bolt managed to squeeze out of it's holder with the padlock still in place..... :crazy:

I slept like a baby and didn't hear a thing.

Daffs will be out next week :nonono:

Posted

Probably the best quote I've read in the MAD thread today "Oh well. If it can't be cold, it might as well be really mild", sounds like despair if you ask me! Also saw a comment about cold returning in January, jeepers, it'll have to get it's ice skates on with little over 12days left...

Posted
Just now, Dorsetbred said:

Probably the best quote I've read in the MAD thread today "Oh well. If it can't be cold, it might as well be really mild", sounds like despair if you ask me! Also saw a comment about cold returning in January, jeepers, it'll have to get it's ice skates on with little over 12days left...

I'm taking a rest from the models for a few days, can't see anything changing for a week at least. Then onto the next Garden path! soon be spring and convection will be the name of the game! :spiteful:

If we cant get rid of the Euro High, in cold terms, we are screwed!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Certainly a windy night last night although I think I missed the worst here. Mostly sunny so far today, not that cold although the temperature is a bit lower than it was overnight. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Certainly a windy night last night although I think I missed the worst here. Mostly sunny so far today, not that cold although the temperature is a bit lower than it was overnight. 

expect temperatures to nose dive from about 7pm when colder air moves back in.

Shame the shower activity has faded for tomorrow that was being predicted for most of the week! Just about sums up our winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

I think although we had strong winds we have gotten away lightly in terms of damage due to a lot of felling in the very early autumn .

squally showers so far today , with spring like conditions in between . 

Thenbirds are eyeing up my bird feeders and the cat is sleeping off the overnight crisis partly in the wardrobe ! That's where we found her this morning and now in a box that I nabbed at our local organic veg shop . 

Havent looked at MAD thread yet.  Whatever the weather though , it certainly isn't boring . Well not I need my definition of the word anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Heavy rain hail shower hear now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
41 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Yes I chuckled a bit when I saw that. It might as well be mild, if it can also be sunny! Something like a February 2012, 2008 or 1998 spell would be welcome if we've got to have mild - help dry things out a bit. Just can't stand the mild muck nothingness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Shame the shower activity has faded for tomorrow that was being predicted for most of the week! Just about sums up our winter!

Still fighting the good fight down here, chance of slush at my gaff tomorrow but lots of white stuff up at princetown.  But these forecasts certainly this winter rarely come to fruition , so i'm expecting nothing. Oh for a frontal snow band......

• Like 1

Posted

One effect of the winds is TVP has alerted us around Newbury to an escaped Wolf and it already has been spotted some 10 miles away... rural area of Berkshire... hmm - wont be long am sure before it gets a wee bit hungry? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-42730984

Hope though they catch it and don't have to kill it to catch it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
44 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Will we ever have any luck again? :sorry:

Posted
33 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

One effect of the winds is TVP has alerted us around Newbury to an escaped Wolf and it already has been spotted some 10 miles away... rural area of Berkshire... hmm - wont be long am sure before it gets a wee bit hungry? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-42730984

Hope though they catch it and don't have to kill it to catch it.

They've caught it!  YAY!

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a temperature drop here in the last half an hour as a couple of showers passed over. 10.0°C to 6.4°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Love day here in Nailsea, been sunny most the day.

Totally out of Winter mode now, searching for drier warmer & sunnier weather.