Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
2 hours ago, festivalking said:

Just checked my locale suggests heavy snow all day thursday with princetown having 3 days straight of heavy snow!  What model does the NW forecast run off?

Only as the MO/BBC weather app suggests rain rain and more rain!!

GFS model I believe. I’d say you’ll do quite well with your 200 meters. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

GFS model I believe. I’d say you’ll do quite well with your 200 meters. 

In theory yes but with a southerly aspect and just 8 miles from the sea its quite a warm 200 metres! Not to worry Princetown is a mere 3 miles away and 250 metres further up.......a different world 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A zero risk of any snow falling here. It's not looking all that bad to be fair, plenty of sunshine to be had next week.

Posted

Basinggrad is dull and damp - extremely calm with no wind.  would like snow next week, as nearer to the downs where I live but won't hold me breath

Posted

If you follow the GFS precipitation maps throughout the run, the SW and South Wales has quite a bit of rain. Not sure why anyone is expecting snow unless you are on the Mendips or the Moors in Devon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Precip-type charts are a waste of time at this time frame. 

The NetWx-MR higher resolution charts show pretty much the same from the first image to the last image I have posted.

viewimage.thumb.png.dc585e233535d7c5bda4269032693556.png viewimage2.thumb.png.e609535f9707fa7952eded7441d362e9.png

That's just an illustration to show that the GFS precip charts are a waste of bandwidth at this stage. Not only that, it get's members hopes up because they just show wide areas with snowfall, and that just won't happen.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Precip-type charts are a waste of time at this time frame. 

The NetWx-MR higher resolution charts show pretty much the same from the first image to the last image I have posted.

viewimage.thumb.png.dc585e233535d7c5bda4269032693556.png viewimage2.thumb.png.e609535f9707fa7952eded7441d362e9.png

That's just an illustration to show that the GFS precip charts are a waste of bandwidth at this stage. Not only that, it get's members hopes up because they just show wide areas with snowfall, and that just won't happen.

Exactly.....and anyway these (though maybe useless) clearly show rain for South Wales and the West Country.

Edited by Chevron12345

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, Dorsetbred said:

More like

SversusNoS.jpg

So rain in Jay’s front garden, snow in the back ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
6 hours ago, Chevron12345 said:

Think your in for another wet depressing coldish week next week, this time from west not east!

Mind you temperatures will be probably warmer than last weekends slack easterly.

You know how to set a girls heart all aflutter. I can hardly contain myself, sooooooo looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I've been thinking.....(yeah I know, had to have a lie down afterwards) I've been looking at ground source heat pumps for the new build we're doing - in simplest terms they work like a fridge in reverse, you lay lots of underground pipes, the pipes absorb the warmth in the ground, transfer it and voila, heat for free. For years there's been talk of a Severn barrage to generate electricity, I wonder if there's merit in going down the ground source heat pump route instead? We've got the technology already so should be fairly straight forward. In case you're wondering.....no you haven't stepped into the climate area by mistake. I just think harnessing free energy is a no brainer if you can do it. But, most importantly of all, and this is what really got me pondering... it would cool the Severn Estuary. Lay enough pipes and temps could go down to 2-3c in winter, maybe lower; that should be enough to see off that bloody M4. Just imagine the teeth gnashing as forecast after forecast showed the Atlantic onslaught being moderated all winter by icy waters.

Off to find Mr Dyson's email address ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Supposedly it’s 7.3°C here but it doesn’t really feel like that. Feels more like about 3°C with the cold breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
6 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

It's 8.1°C  here, yet so gloomy again...

Yes it’s very gloomy here and looks dark to the east. Didn’t even get that short bright spell you had earlier. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Foggy, slightly lifted fog, hazy sunshine , fog and dark now . Temp 5.2 C 

feels colder and damp . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

What are the chances of everything moving more south next week? I know not everyone in our region had snow, but isn’t that what happened on the last 2 occasions in December? I know here in Stroud snow wasn’t expected 3 or 4 days beforehand, more Wales and Midlands,  but we had lying snow both times... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Looks like Wednesday morning is our best chance of anything white falling from the sky. 

8FDB3A25-3467-4F39-99AA-CBF409433452.thumb.jpeg.21f87b833cd8b57c1b78ec7a99d9497d.jpeg

90% chance of snow I think is a tad optimistic though lol

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Ha, even the NW thread has some doubters on next week, not many but a few, especially midweek.. Of course the hardliners are loving this one... good luck to em I say, at least we experience a french plume in summer..

Still quite warm outside, currently overcast and 7.2°C

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

Meant to mention today's maximum temp was 9C down here, (warm NE) and had a fox in the garden bigger than our American Cocker spaniel. Rushed to get the camera and it was gone, damn..Interesting though not seen one around here for a long while.. Seems again this year we might be on for starlings making their nests here, already many drop by the feeder, so we are possibly in for another noisy & messy spell. Quiet & clean they are not!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
46 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Looks like Wednesday morning is our best chance of anything white falling from the sky. 

8FDB3A25-3467-4F39-99AA-CBF409433452.thumb.jpeg.21f87b833cd8b57c1b78ec7a99d9497d.jpeg

90% chance of snow I think is a tad optimistic though lol

90% chance, oh there's a coincidence I'm working from home on Weds, oh well,...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow
4 hours ago, jethro said:

Going to make a sled with my boy tomorrow ready for next wknd. Do you think it's a bad idea getting his hopes up too soon? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

If you quote a post and then decide not to, how do you remove the quote from the text box? I can't seem to remove it from the "reply to topic" text box  once I've clicked the quote box