Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Still a few days out yet, not worth putting his neck out just yet if he doesn't need to ect and it might all get downgraded by Friday evening yet...

I notice you used the word MIGHT. I should change it to WILL :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

My bet is the High ridges a bit closer to the uk shunting the colder air east. Tends to be the form over recent years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
7 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Still a few days out yet, not worth putting his neck out just yet if he doesn't need to ect and it might all get downgraded by Friday evening yet...

2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

My bet is the High ridges a bit closer to the uk shunting the colder air east. Tends to be the form over recent years. 

What a depressing miserable bunch we have in here tonight lol. Even Ian f mentioned on the forecast that the north westerly is going to very cold for a wind from the nw (as in more colder than usual for a nw pm flow, can't remember exactly his words but it was something along those lines) 

The models, especially the gfs is showing some unusually cold uppers coming in from the nw, this doesn't look like your typical pm flow from a north  westerly. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, Smartie said:

What a depressing miserable bunch we have in here tonight lol. Even Ian f mentioned on the forecast that the north westerly is going to very cold for a wind from the nw (as in more colder than usual for a nw pm flow, can't remember exactly his words but it was something along those lines) 

The models, especially the gfs is showing some unusually cold uppers coming in from the nw, this doesn't look like your typical pm flow from a north  westerly. 

Problem is smartie we are wrong side of M4 :rolleyes:

Looks reasonable currently but a long way off and always gets watered down in last 72 hours before event.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Can help but think snow will be at a premium for these parts, usually the last place to see snow if there's any around, so setting my hopes low to save on disappointment down the line.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Looks reasonable currently but a long way off and always gets watered down in last 72 hours before event.

If it snows in south Dorset, then I shall presume that the Highways Agency have moved the M4 to link Guernsey with Jersey. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Would have thought the M4 was the leat  of our  worries, the welsh mountains will be I expect :p but it wouldn't surprise me if all the parameters are right for snow, upper air temps, dew points, low thicknesses etc at times during next week, the question is will there be any precipitation around at the same time. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Would have thought the M4 was the leat  of our  worries, the welsh mountains will be I expect :p but it wouldn't surprise me if all the parameters are right for snow, upper air temps, dew points, low thicknesses etc at times during next week, the question is will there be any precipitation around at the same time. 

Those winds could blow the mountains down :D:yahoo:

problem solved lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
7 minutes ago, kevvo said:

If it snows in south Dorset, then I shall presume that the Highways Agency have moved the M4 to link Guernsey with Jersey. 

Wouldn’t even have a problem with marginality if it’s down there. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, Smartie said:

At the moment its is more of a westerly which would bypass that little country called wales :D

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

At the moment its is more of a westerly which would bypass that little country called wales :D

We've  had sleet and snow showers from a w/nw wind before (I can remember driving round chasing the showers that were streaming in off the bristol channel)  it all depends on where that westerly originates from and next week it' coming from a very cold source and despite the sea track over the Atlantic the models are still showing some very low upper air temps over the uk  (for a w/nw wind!). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Zero chance of seeing anything snow-like down here. It's possible to get some hail thrown in to any thundery showers brought in from troughs.

viewimage.thumb.png.19d66add80097697e85d8d759738b54b.png

We had between -7 and -8C uppers for a period back in December, and it still rained. The uppers above do not look particularly special for this part of the country.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Zero chance of seeing anything snow-like down here. It's possible to get some hail thrown in to any thundery showers brought in from troughs.

viewimage.thumb.png.19d66add80097697e85d8d759738b54b.png

We had between -7 and -8C uppers for a period back in December, and it still rained. The uppers above do not look particularly special for this part of the country.

It might snow in the South ... how convective will this spell be?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

It might snow in the South ... how convective will this spell be?

It depends in what you  mean by South? I 100% guarantee it will not snow here.

As for convective potential, a little early to speculate with great detail, but coastal fringes will be most at risk, due to colder air travelling over warmer waters. The North & West will obviously fare best. But, i'll just wait until we get in to a higher resolution time frame, then have a gander and some charts to see what's occurring!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It depends in what you  mean by South? I 100% guarantee it will not snow here.

As for convective potential, a little early to speculate with great detail, but coastal fringes will be most at risk, due to colder air travelling over warmer waters. The North & West will obviously fare best. But, i'll just wait until we get in to a higher resolution time frame, then have a gander and some charts to see what's occurring!

I was actually thinking Dorset/Devon (inland) perhaps South Gloucesterhire. My interest is piqued slightly (for you down there, not for me). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It's still snowing on that live webcam I posted last night if anyone wants to see snow falling. You know just in case you've forgotten what it looks like. :D

Posted

There will be some rather disappointed members next week who are convinced snows coming across the uk, I just can’t see it away from elevation myself. ?‍♂️

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

There will be some rather disappointed members next week who are convinced snows coming across the uk, I just can’t see it away from elevation myself. ?‍♂️

Being party pooper in the MAD thread now I see. :diablo:

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Being party pooper in the MAD thread now I see. :diablo:

Lol no, just trying to keep them grounded :p we all know that’s a waste of time :whistling:

Posted

So potentially something interesting  one way or another next week. Just need to get through the borefest over the next few days first, mostly cloudy with the odd bit of drizzle and odd bright spell isn't my idea of interesting weather. :lazy:

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

It's still snowing on that live webcam I posted last night if anyone wants to see snow falling. You know just in case you've forgotten what it looks like. :D

I often watch that webcam first thing on a Sunday morning, as they are turning out the bars to go home, with the local gendarmes cruising around. Apologies I know it’s not our area, but it’s a great view, along with Canmore (Canada). & Kimmirut if you really want to see snow..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Overcast & gloomy tonight, currently 5.8C with a mere breath of wind movement..

Very gloomy here, so gloomy I can't see out the window. 

:rofl: