Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well that was a quick change. I only posted it was cloudy 20 minutes ago and in the time since then the skies cleared and the suns come out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

2nd glorious day on the bounce here! Looking forward and the return of the norwester next week. I'd say 90% of our region will experience cold wet and windy conditions with the favoured high ground getting some transient snow. Looking into next week even Princetown will not be getting that much snow rather anything above 500 metres. So not as potent as those northerly out breaks we had before christmas. All in all underwhelming for our neck of the woods at the moment.

Posted
5 minutes ago, festivalking said:

2nd glorious day on the bounce here! Looking forward and the return of the norwester next week. I'd say 90% of our region will experience cold wet and windy conditions with the favoured high ground getting some transient snow. Looking into next week even Princetown will not be getting that much snow rather anything above 500 metres. So not as potent as those northerly out breaks we had before christmas. All in all underwhelming for our neck of the woods at the moment.

Is it safe to say that people living in the NW of our region may be blessed with white stuff falling over the higher ground...:oops:

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Is it safe to say that people living in the NW of our region may be blessed with white stuff falling over the higher ground...:oops:

Ha yes...I've obviously missed our dear old @karlos1983 giving it both barrels to someone, must of been provoked as he is king of good hearted banter! Was this linked to the NW England / Britain "debate" on the MAD thread

Edited by festivalking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
39 minutes ago, festivalking said:

I think we may get some surprises myself.

Net weather 7 day is showing near constant sleet or snow showers for 2 days here between Monday night and Wednesday currently although settling snow may be another issue but some areas could get lucky under intensity of showers if streamers set up? 

Also depends how many fall at night of course but january is as good as any a month to get something from marginal situations and with last few weeks of weather ground temperatures must be on our side we have had very ;ittle in the way of mild weather.

Edited by Nights King

Posted

Ah yes good old arguing lol..just popped over to TWO. and they are at it over there, didn't wait to find out what it was about,cant be asked,right tin hat on and a quick visit to our model discussion,if by magic the sun has just appeared,lets hope its cheered them all up.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I think we may get some surprises myself.

Net weather 7 day is showing near constant sleet or snow showers for 2 days here between Monday night and Wednesday currently although settling snow may be another issue but some areas could get lucky under intensity of showers if streamers set up? 

Also depends how many fall at night of course but january is as good as any a month to get something from marginal situations and with last few weeks of weather ground temperatures must be on our side we have had very ;ittle in the way of mild weather.

Sounds a bit more promising. Think you are in that magic 10% bracket though!! mendips exmoor and dartmoor always tend to do OK in these set ups. I wonder if it will be too maginal this time round however a week is a long time in weather land.  I'd worry about your location and the welsh mountain issue again. Guess the more west of north flow is better for your locale but of course the more west the more marginal!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Sounds a bit more promising. Think you are in that magic 10% bracket though!! mendips exmoor and dartmoor always tend to do OK in these set ups. I wonder if it will be too maginal this time round however a week is a long time in weather land.  I'd worry about your location and the welsh mountain issue again. Guess the more west of north flow is better for your locale but of course the more west the more marginal!!

Your right and I have no doubt it would be wet snow etc if it happened but these setups can produce some impressive showers.

Heavy wet snow floats my boat more than snizzle snow from the east but as always in west country its high risk and could end up cold and wet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well the sun didn’t last long. Back to grey skies again after that brief interlude of blue. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Your right and I have no doubt it would be wet snow etc if it happened but these setups can produce some impressive showers.

Heavy wet snow floats my boat more than snizzle snow from the east but as always in west country its high risk and could end up cold and wet. 

Agreed: High Risk High Reward!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Well the sun didn’t last long. Back to grey skies again after that brief interlude of blue. 

Not blaming anyone MATT....but...still some faint sunlight here in Bomo..

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Not blaming anyone MATT....but...still some faint sunlight here in Bomo..

No comment. :whistling:

Posted

I’m liking some of the charts appearing in the MAD thread this afternoon. It won’t cross the M4, will it?? Surely not.  :shok:

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I’m liking some of the charts appearing in the MAD thread this afternoon. It won’t cross the M4, will it?? Surely not.  :shok:

Snow crossing the M$ in a southern flanking move, is about as likely to happen as the German Army crossing the Maginot line

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

I wonder if I.F will stick his neck out and mention the S word for next week in this evenings forecast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Wouldn't surprise me if the S word gets mentioned, after all that does look to be some very unusually cold upper air coming in on a North westerly, very strong winds too which will push showers well inland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 hours ago, festivalking said:

Ha yes...I've obviously missed our dear old @karlos1983 giving it both barrels to someone, must of been provoked as he is king of good hearted banter! Was this linked to the NW England / Britain "debate" on the MAD thread

I did bite, I shouldn’t have done, but I wasn’t in the best of moods :oops:.

at least next week will be interesting :)

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I did bite, I shouldn’t have done, but I wasn’t in the best of moods :oops:.

at least next week will be interesting :)

mod thread is nothing but imby snow posts at moment.

Does get frustrating.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

216-780UK.gif.1198e3e28a9f422574d5e233e271e31b.gif

If that yellow bit around the coast could be filled I’ll be happy. 

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

If that yellow bit around the coast could be filled I’ll be happy. 

The north west does look very good though...

i'd be happy with my 2cm on there but we all know ppn charts are over estimated.. :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Not expecting anything on the IOW but hopefully some surprises especially for the North part of our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

No mention of the S word from @fergieweather yet but “winds from a northwesterly quarter” it will feel brrrrrrr.....

this winter has certainly not been mild!

Posted
Just now, khodds said:

No mention of the S word from @fergieweather yet but “winds from a northwesterly quarter” it will feel brrrrrrr.....

this winter has certainly not been mild!

Still a few days out yet, not worth putting his neck out just yet if he doesn't need to ect and it might all get downgraded by Friday evening yet...

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

... it might all get downgraded by Friday evening yet...

If I was a betting person, I'd have good odds on that one...