Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted

A quick trip out through the back-roads shows some recent tree wind damage. In particular lots of fair sized branches down in and around the Sopley/Bransgore  area. Of course a lot of running water across the low lying roads after this mornings downpour, with a lot of field runoff. Quite a few brave folk out walking their hounds in the New Forest, but foolishly wearing wellies, I would think waders would be more in keeping out there at the mo, there so much water around. By next week it'll be the New Puddle rather than the New Forest..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Lovely walk from sandbanks to branksome Dean.

B5C5D3FF-62BD-4499-9C17-8E3E5C578243.thumb.jpeg.4d71e2f6c9fe7a3d6247cb94ca15977c.jpeg

Posted
2 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

B5C5D3FF-62BD-4499-9C17-8E3E5C578243.thumb.jpeg.4d71e2f6c9fe7a3d6247cb94ca15977c.jpeg

Is that Branksome Dene as in Dene or branksome dean as in dean...?? Still looks good doesn't it,and a great walk, I love it..

Posted
2 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Is that Branksome Dene as in Dene or branksome dean as in dean...?? Still looks good doesn't it,and a great walk, I love it..

Damn autocorrect! Yes Branksome Dene, lovely walk with the kids and hound, always enjoy that walk and enjoy a run from sandbanks to Bournemouth Pier and back, almost exactly 10km, lovely flat run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Gusts of 30mph frequently last night, still very windy now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, we've stepped back into autumn around here, mild, breezy and wet. Popped over to Tetbury yesterday, surprising amount of snow still hanging around on the higher hills outside Bath, even more around Chipping Sodbury.

Posted

Morning all, last nights’ rainfall, has broken the 100mm/month barrier, and with more out in the SW approaches time to push that up higher still.

Temps 12.2C a classic southern Uk winter temperature...:doh:

Posted

102.9mm for the month now, could well end up the wettest month of 2017.

Posted

Feeling very mild this morning. Currently 13.4C and it reached 14.1C overnight, the mildest of the month.

Saw on the local news about local flooding and several trees down in a park in Plymouth from yesterday morning's thunderstorm. Also, interesting reports of damage from the New forest area and apparently Mudeford had a gust of 111mph! with some pictures of quite a lot of damage to boats etc 
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15798698.PICTURES__Boats_overturn_at_Mudeford_Quay_after_97mph_gust_of_wind_is_recorded/

I went to a viewpoint at Sidmouth as the distant storm cells were moving east, and got this capture of lightning
Lightning 29th December.mp4

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Also, interesting reports of damage from the New forest area and apparently Mudeford had a gust of 111mph! with some pictures of quite a lot of damage to boats etc 
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15798698.PICTURES__Boats_overturn_at_Mudeford_Quay_after_97mph_gust_of_wind_is_recorded/

I saw that and remain sceptical that it is a true recording. Checking the local sailing club data for that time, the wing average was around 18knots. Then their data shows a gust of 50knots from the south. Looking at their equipment they appear to use ultrasonic sensors to measure the speed. I remain unconvinced primarily because there were no other local area reports of large sustained wind damage, oh apart from I read somebody commented they had been hit by a tornado in Southampton, really?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I can tell you that it is categorically false. I follow that station myself, and I checked it yesterday morning - not long after we had the strong winds, it showed 97 km/h, not knots.

Here's the graph:

Screenshot_2017-12-30-11-07-27.thumb.png.76ba41a3fa44746fdcd6b5ea606c3014.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

The sun shines . Broken cloud. Breezy . 13mph. Temperature 12.2c. Pressure 980.9 hPa. 

Posted

Wouldn’t it just be typical that we get an easterly when the uppers to our east /N.east are poor :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
20 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Nice picture there Karlos. i was born and brought up in Bournemouth and that is a lovely walk

• Like 1

Posted

EURO4 has my location to receive 23mm of rain overnight into tomorrow morning. That would make December my wettest month of the year if I record anywhere near that prediction. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, jethro said:

Morning all, we've stepped back into autumn around here, mild, breezy and wet. Popped over to Tetbury yesterday, surprising amount of snow still hanging around on the higher hills outside Bath, even more around Chipping Sodbury.

Octoberish is the word! It feels like one of those mucky southwesterlies we so often get at that time of the year. At least it's just a fleeting visit this time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Positively tropical here at 13.5......or should i say the norm going on the last few winters....even if we do get a nationwide snow event that affects us southerners...it probably won't last long...forgive my negativity... just annoying i havent seen proper snow since jan 13...still the search goes on.....:cold::cold:

Posted
9 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

EURO4 has my location to receive 23mm of rain overnight into tomorrow morning. That would make December my wettest month of the year if I record anywhere near that prediction. 

I reckon it'll total more than that Karlos.

120.2 mm is my high on this station, back in January. I'm currently sat at 106.4mm. Strangely enough, sunshine is way above my average, and quite a bit above the MetOffice derived average that I calculate.

• Like 1

Posted

I've just had a look through the short-range charts.. a couple of troughs move in to the SW on Sunday, and creep across Southern counties. Modest CAPE levels being shown, steep lapse rates, and very cold ELT's - could be more scope for heavy showers containing hail, along with thunder & lightning on Sunday eve.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

I saw that and remain sceptical that it is a true recording. Checking the local sailing club data for that time, the wing average was around 18knots. Then their data shows a gust of 50knots from the south. Looking at their equipment they appear to use ultrasonic sensors to measure the speed. I remain unconvinced primarily because there were no other local area reports of large sustained wind damage, oh apart from I read somebody commented they had been hit by a tornado in Southampton, really?

48 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I can tell you that it is categorically false. I follow that station myself, and I checked it yesterday morning - not long after we had the strong winds, it showed 97 km/h, not knots.

Here's the graph:

Screenshot_2017-12-30-11-07-27.thumb.png.76ba41a3fa44746fdcd6b5ea606c3014.png

Certainly raised my suspicions.. I thought with the flipped boats etc/tree damage it might have been stronger than 97 km/h, but that reading makes far more sense especially if the boats are particularly exposed or the anemometer slightly sheltered/not at 10m etc

Anyway it reached 14.3C at 11:56 though it has now dropped back to 13.4C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yuk.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2017-12-30&lat=51.401&lon=-1.3216

Roll on the colder wintry interludes during 2018. Happy New Year all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Haven’t passed 100mm this month here so far with the total for the month currently 86mm.