Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
19 hours ago, MP-R said:

I will never understand why that happens. Snow moves across the Alps for heaven's sake.

That is an absolutely brilliant post Mr P 

another thing I notice is well is when snow showers move across Germany they don’t fadeout they can move right across the whole country and stay as their original form and sometimes intensify and yet here even with no  mountains  they can still just find out when it comes to snow but rain showers or summer showers can go so much further 

And can’t be down to the week Wintersun because Germany gets that as well and yet their showers seem to spread right across 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
37 minutes ago, offerman said:

That is an absolutely brilliant post Mr P 

another thing I notice is well is when snow showers move across Germany they don’t fadeout they can move right across the whole country and stay as their original form and sometimes intensify and yet here even with no  mountains  they can still just find out when it comes to snow but rain showers or summer showers can go so much further 

And can’t be down to the week Wintersun because Germany gets that as well and yet their showers seem to spread right across 

The showers that fade over the high ground are blown in off the sea, you need a trough in the flow to bring them inland without dissipating.

When we get troughs and disturbances in a flow then ppn will make it across the land. Germany has very little coastline so they are not in any way prone to showers blowing in off the sea. 

And in summer the showers are convective which is something different altogether. :) 

Edited by chris55
  • Like 2

Posted

Nice litttle afternoon walk, still thick snow above 150m

IMG_3147.thumb.JPG.5ddae042fb87e38d65a1145f9b6bf907.JPG

IMG_3148.thumb.JPG.e67311827b632404bf8b59571e013208.JPG

IMG_3150.thumb.JPG.db9d1a86d327ae7ebcc1036e851da850.JPG

IMG_3154.thumb.JPG.c9dad9ae2020b50ff8184526f62ee140.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Frosty start after an overnight low of -0.6°C leaving a sunny day with clear skies. Currently 6.0°C. 

Posted

A really pleasant December day, lack of breeze, temperatures, nice, and frost still hangs on the conservatory roof, .......begone I say...well I'm sure it will in a while as the SW air drives on relentless..

Posted

Well it looks like an elusive 'not all frost melts' day!

Currently 1.2C with frost in the shade still, it did rise up to 4.1C briefly but patches of high cloud drifting across the sun allowed it to drop again.

Feels very nice and seasonal, strange to think that by tomorrow morning it will all be gone, replaced by windy weather with an active front and possible convective interest/squall line etc
http://www.estofex.org/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That would be nice..

Screenshot_2017-12-28-15-37-24.thumb.png.de911cca956d32e20a838038185c256e.png

Certainly some heavy bursts of rain are likely, across our region.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

The much feared sales shopping with the other half is over and im just about still solvent,frost in the shade all day here,but surprisingly in a limited amount of shaded areas in Bournemouth too which was unexpected,on return close to Zero but above comments suggest change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just been for a walk and even though the temperature reached 6.2°C there’s still quite a bit of frost left where it’s been in the shade all day. Dropping away quickly now although looks like it’ll rise again later. 

Posted

We've retained the remaining laying snow all day in our neighbourhood. Conditions look exactly like yesterday. Ice still on the road (side road) and cars crunching along it.

Hoping for a little more snow tomorrow before the thaw.

Posted

Popped up to Chipping Sodbury today (near Yate) for those who dont know our area. Thick snow up there still - looks like they did best in my vicinity. A marked difference in thickness levels for sure. Guess the mile or two north again at Old Sodbury/Tormarton at higher level would be even more snow.

I reck the NW cold incursions will be a feature of next few weeks - just a gut feeling.

Posted
9 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

We've retained the remaining laying snow all day in our neighbourhood. Conditions look exactly like yesterday. Ice still on the road (side road) and cars crunching along it.

Hoping for a little more snow tomorrow before the thaw.

On the face of it some front edge snow does look possible before the milder air gets in and turns it back to rain, though due to the weak front ahead of the main one it looks like drizzle then rain. But you never know eh :) here's hoping for one last hurrah lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
4 hours ago, chris55 said:

Nice litttle afternoon walk, still thick snow above 150m

IMG_3147.thumb.JPG.5ddae042fb87e38d65a1145f9b6bf907.JPG

IMG_3148.thumb.JPG.e67311827b632404bf8b59571e013208.JPG

IMG_3150.thumb.JPG.db9d1a86d327ae7ebcc1036e851da850.JPG

IMG_3154.thumb.JPG.c9dad9ae2020b50ff8184526f62ee140.JPG

Nice photos Chris, where were they? Popped up to Rodborough common, similar up there, even where the sun must have shone there for a few hours yesterday, plus today. Not the thaw I was expecting to be honest. Also noticed that where I am (Rooksmoor) had less snow than a few weeks ago, less even than the parts of Stroud town, just shows how the hills direct the heaviest snow to different places depending on where it comes from (this time was from the West, last time the North West).  

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, chris55 said:

...  here's hoping for one last hurrah lol

There hasn't been a first one down here.....:nonono:

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

Well the cloud hasn't arrived here yet so the temperatures already dropped to -0.2°C. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

Nice photos Chris, where were they? Popped up to Rodborough common, similar up there, even where the sun must have shone there for a few hours yesterday, plus today. Not the thaw I was expecting to be honest. Also noticed that where I am (Rooksmoor) had less snow than a few weeks ago, less even than the parts of Stroud town, just shows how the hills direct the heaviest snow to different places depending on where it comes from (this time was from the West, last time the North West).  

Up juniper (follow the lane at the top of folly rise, Uplands)

I'm in Uplands at 80 meters and this snowfall was actually a little better than the one before in terms of settling snow at the lower altitudes, a fair 2 inches here, 4 up top. 

You must have had a little micro climate down in Rooksmore, you near the main road or up a bit? ( I swear you used to live on summer street, always gets it good up there, quite an ironic name ha)

Here's to a snowy Jan and Feb (for all the region!!!!) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Up juniper (follow the lane at the top of folly rise, Uplands)

I'm in Uplands at 80 meters and this snowfall was actually a little better than the one before in terms of settling snow at the lower altitudes, a fair 2 inches here, 4 up top. 

You must have had a little micro climate down in Rooksmore, you near the main road or up a bit? ( I swear you used to live on summer street, always gets it good up there, quite an ironic name ha)

Here's to a snowy Jan and Feb (for all the region!!!!) 

Used to live on Summer Street..unfortunately now separated. Picked my daughter up from there today, got stuck behind bin men who had a hell of a time getting bins - road was either frozen snow/slush or sheet ice. Fair play to them! Snow in gardens was 3-4 inches at the end of the road. 

I’m behind the Old Fleece, at the end of the road before the narrow steep lane up to Kingscourt, so below Rod Common next to a large field. Proper frost hollow here can feel the cold air pouring down from the hill on nights like tonight (its -2c  right now on my cheapo garden thermometer). Watching the radar, seen the precip in South Wales. If it gets this far and the temperature holds, just an hour or 2 of light snow would be v interesting tonight. 

• Like 1

Posted

Temperature has just started to rise, only slightly but it's moving upwards...the current frost will soon be gone..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Yes ive just seen the clouds rolling in,temps will rise,weird in a small area,how our areas seem to avoid snow,im only 20 miles inland from you,with only mild elevation,yet 50 miles north and east of here 80 miles west of here theres been snow,im not remotely jealous or angry,just mystified on the so near yet so far concept.

Posted

Chilly walk earlier after sunset. -1.4C here now.

Time for a homebrewed Xmas Porter... which might be the only inch of white stuff that I get this winter.

20171228_190450.thumb.jpg.c263ac6730d0c8708aedb1e6e806026b.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

3c with precip knocking on the door.. so close

Surely this is going to start as snow over Dartmoor / Exmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Snowing over the tops of Dartmoor heavy rain and hail here. Surly further up the line where snow lies this is going to be a big snow to rain event. All eyes after tonight to next weekend.....