Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted

Very slushy/wet pavements will become treacherous if we have a hard freeze. Splendidly, we have kept quite a bit of the snow; on roofs, cars that haven't moved, shrubs and to some extent, the pavements. 

I know Mr M has warned us not to look at forecast radar but I can't help it, as showers of snow/sleet/freezing rain for my vicinity are predicted within the next few hours. We'll see. Cold is the wind. :cold-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Temperature at 1c now and getting icy out there. Expecting - 3 - 4 tonight. Still lots of snow around and cleeve hill hasn't lost any of its snow today. Plenty of fun to be had up there ! 

2 snow events in 2 weeks. With a La Niña year, a front loaded winter is the form horse so no complaints  from me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

I see the Welsh mountains are shredding the showers again, meaning nothing is getting through to  us on the other side.

I will never understand why that happens. Snow moves across the Alps for heaven's sake.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I will never understand why that happens. Snow moves across the Alps for heaven's sake.

It's just many of the obstacles that prevent us getting any snow.

I mean you get lake effect snow in the USA,  but the Severn channel is another snow killer.

If you don't like snow, the West Country is the best place to live. 

I've got to move.......  

Posted
3 minutes ago, SteveB said:

It's just many of the obstacles that prevent us getting any snow.

I mean you get lake effect snow in the USA,  but the Severn channel is another snow killer.

If you don't like snow, the West Country is the best place to live. 

I've got to move.......  

Some consistency would be good. There have been equal examples of the Severn helping. It's certainly a killer to showers in the convective months.

A move north of the M4 would suffice. I lived in Egham for 4 years and that was pretty pants. Even the early December 2010 snows struggled to get going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Some consistency would be good. There have been equal examples of the Severn helping. It's certainly a killer to showers in the convective months.

A move north of the M4 would suffice. I lived in Egham for 4 years and that was pretty pants. Even the early December 2010 snows struggled to get going.

There are really snowless places to live up north too in wales and scotland.

being coastal and at sea level are the too biggest things going against you where ever you live in uk. For me this is a fairly average winter so far up to now with a few days of wet snow lasting a day or so but nothing heavy or substantial yet.

Lets hope for one county wide event during January while we still have winter proper on our side.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

being coastal and at sea level are the too biggest things going against you where ever you live in uk

Lets hope for one county wide event during January while we still have winter proper on our side.

Say's it all really then, mind you I know that as a given, but somethings you just have to put up with. A bit like Grockles in the summer....

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nights King said:

being coastal and at sea level are the too biggest things going against you where ever you live in uk. For me this is a fairly average winter so far up to now with a few days of wet snow lasting a day or so but nothing heavy or substantial yet.

Agreed. At least we get snow here, it's not the full on coastal failure like the south coast. As recently as Jan 2015 there was snow off the Severn.

This month is bang on average here for temperature but looks like going a bit above with rainfall. The fact it's snowed twice here in the least snowy month of winter is great.

• Like 1

Posted

Standard Winter fare so far,lots of frost,two minor dustings gone by 10 am,but as I say no surprise,what was noteworthy was the wind,3 really big trees completely down in about 80 metres,also of note for here at 6 20 am with the aid of the security light  watching a really heavy fall of snow,didnt settle but nice to see,so better than last Winter,mind you,not much to beat lol

Posted
1 hour ago, SilverWolf said:

Hi, I grew up in Gloucester and this reminds me (from childhood memories, I’m 41, so prob a bit unreliable!) of winters in the early-mid 80’s. I’m near Stroud in Rooksmoor now, and I’ve scrapped ice of my windshield at least a 15 times this month when it hasn’t snowed, had 3 inches snow a couple weeks ago, and 2 inches last night which is still on the grass and now freezing. In those memories this type of December (including the mild wet bits) often lead to a better and more snowy period in jan and/or feb. Curious if the ‘pattern’ for this winter will be similar, if my memories are right that is! 

Hi SW. Once 4pm hit nothing was thawing, so now we have Dickensian style crisp snow outside, nearly even!!!!

A 2 minute drive to Painswick from here and its another world. Shame it'll be gone Friday!!!!

Still, as I said, currently 200% better than last year and more festive than that horrid 12c stuff Xmas day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Agreed. At least we get snow here, it's not the full on coastal failure like the south coast. As recently as Jan 2015 there was snow off the Severn.

This month is bang on average here for temperature but looks like going a bit above with rainfall. The fact it's snowed twice here in the least snowy month of winter is great.

Your glass is firmly half full, where mine is the complete opposite.

I feel Weston in particular does really poor when it comes to snow, yes there are other areas in the UK who do just as bad, I think parts of greater Manchester do just as bad.

All it takes is a 1-2c rise in temps (which is what we have with global warming) to put us the wrong side of marginal more often than not.

Go 5+ miles inland, or up a hill and you'll have better chance of seeing snow.

Roll on solar grand minimum, maybe we can see more the right side of marginal.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I personally dislike the two setup's that brought others snow, they do absolutely nothing for here! It's an Easterly or go home, job.

Yep the cold zonal is more often than not an exclusive party for those north of the M4 unless you have some major elevation. For those good folk above the fabled line its starting to look like a rinse and repeat scenario.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SteveB said:

Go 5+ miles inland, or up a hill and you'll have better chance of seeing snow.

I can understand your frustration. I certainly wouldn't live in Weston if I liked snow. Fortunately I don't think I've come off as bad as you over the years re snow.

Now if we could just fill that estuary in...

• Like 1

Posted

Light snow shower here this morning has left what looks like a heavy frost. Roads look somewhat icy.  I do love the cold weather. Looks like quite a wait till the next cold snap.

Posted

Make the most of today folks, at least the next 7 days look very October/Novemberish. Perhaps another cold snap later next week though? Time will tell.

Posted

Morning all, bright sunny and frosty start to the day, currently -1C. Suspect it’ll be a while before a repeat of this mornings’ start..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning, beautiful morning here, sharp frost, sunny and clear blue sky; love mornings like this. Despite the rapid thaw yesterday we still have a good covering in the garden, looks lovely but the deck is absolutely lethal with the combination of snow and now thick ice.

Posted

Exmoor had up to a few inches of snow (that depth generally above 350-400m) yesterday afternoon, if anyone in the area wants a snow fix and can get up there.

and back home, a lovely frosty start with a min of -3.7C, still frosty out of the sun now being only 0.5C at 11:15. Some high cloud turning that sun weak.

It's a shame this is just a one off frost and it looks like general wet westerly pattern following.
Though looking at some of the forecasts it may go from a frosty morning today to one with convective interest tomorrow..

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I didn't expect such a hard frost this morning, or a frost at all! The MetO had me down for 2°C yet it got down to -1.8°C  at  08:26.

Currently sunny.

Temp: 5.1°C - Hum: 85% - Dew: 2.7°C - Bar: 1004.61hPa - Wind: W @ 4mph.

Posted

Snow shower at 7am left a nice covering up at sharpitor. Still there now. But most of Plymouth are descending on this tor. Roads are clogged already.

Posted

Merry Christmas and I hope everyone is having a great festive week!

Beautiful start here this morning, had a overnight low of -3.8c and currently sat around 1.5c with the weak December sun struggling to melt the frost.

Still have some lying snow in the shade here and the local hills still have there snow cover. Ventured up Butser ( around 300 metres up) yesterday morning where the North side had a good 15-20cm of snow in places. Drove to Bow Hill this morning where only around 10cm on the North side remains (very icy up there now tho!)

A brief cold spell may effect us around New Years Day looking at the current output, this will be short however. Beyond that, I currently can't see anything colder for our neck of the woods. However, I do expect a 'rinse and repeat' of the two rain/snow events we've had thus far during January unless there's a major pattern change. The Atlantic ramping up is temporary in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

0.2c Minimum this morning. Frosty . Now 3.3c in sunshine. Most of the old snow and this mornings frost has gone. 

Posted

Still a fair old covering in the back garden and on roofs which don't get any sun. Hope to get another day out of it tomorrow, then I think it'll probably go. It has been quite a good few days.......best since 2010 I think, given how long it has hung around.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. ☺