Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Tempted to buy myself a Christmas treat!!

5B11FD7A-E387-47FF-B1EE-1CDC7E4A71B0.thumb.png.d459673b6e473d5ce8af1ee7ae111bc6.png

Anyone got one of these? I’ve heard they are good

Always been tempted with this model whats the difference between this and the Vue2? 

It may be a couple of years away but have started mentioning this in dispatches to the mrs for ideas for the big 40!

Edited by festivalking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
31 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

5B11FD7A-E387-47FF-B1EE-1CDC7E4A71B0.thumb.png.d459673b6e473d5ce8af1ee7ae111bc6.png

Had one for a couple of years. Always seems fairly accurate. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Closest I’ve come to seeing snow. 

B3DAB1F7-A5CD-42B5-9222-DCC6416CB8C4.jpeg

Posted
43 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I was looking at this this yesterday, as I thought my cheap Maplin job had packed up.

Turned out the USB connector that connects to my Raspberry PI was a bit dodgy, so I had the back off and soldered the USB wires directly on to the PCB and it came back up... Check me out. 8)

Back to the old one for now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

You and me both. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hi

Things not good here at the moment, so busy with funeral arrangements for my dad that i've not even paid attention to what the weather has been like. I've finally got an hour to myself to pop online and see what's happening!?

re the Davis Vantage Vue - it is a nice station, but there's also a few drawbacks. The all-in-one array means you'll have to sacrifice one of two measurements, either wind or temperature. If you want good wind measurements, you'll need it placed at a decent height, but you will lose temperature accuracy by quite a margin. The same will happen with wind measurements if you set your station's height to around 1.5m for a better temperature accuracy. 
The other thing to point out, if you want your data online, you'll need the data logger with weatherlink. You're looking at £179.90 for that - that's the cheapest I can find, on eBay. I don't know why, but it has gone up in price over the years. You may be able to find one cheaper, but second hand.

I hope everybody is well?! I'll try to post when I can, but you can imagine how busy I am, even more so due to it being close to Christmas. :unsure2:

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Hi

Things not good here at the moment, so busy with funeral arrangements for my dad that i've not even paid attention to what the weather has been like. I've finally got an hour to myself to pop online and see what's happening!?

re the Davis Vantage Vue - it is a nice station, but there's also a few drawbacks. The all-in-one array means you'll have to sacrifice one of two measurements, either wind or temperature. If you want good wind measurements, you'll need it placed at a decent height, but you will lose temperature accuracy by quite a margin. The same will happen with wind measurements if you set your station's height to around 1.5m for a better temperature accuracy. 
The other thing to point out, if you want your data online, you'll need the data logger with weatherlink. You're looking at £179.90 for that - that's the cheapest I can find, on eBay. I don't know why, but it has gone up in price over the years. You may be able to find one cheaper, but second hand.

I hope everybody is well?! I'll try to post when I can, but you can imagine how busy I am, even more so due to it being close to Christmas. :unsure2:

Hello Mapantz,

Really sorry to hear what you've been going through.
We lost my Dad 15 years ago now and all I can tell you is that it does get less painful with time.

All the best

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Sorry to hear of your loss @Mapantz sending best wishes your way x

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

light covering here on mendip with a mixture of snow and hail together by the looks of it.

Lets hope we get some chunky showers later as it cools :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Hello Mapantz,

Really sorry to hear what you've been going through.
We lost my Dad 15 years ago now and all I can tell you is that it does get less painful with time.

All the best

Hello Mapantz

Im so sorry to hear of your loss at this difficult time . Deepest condolences. 

Posted

Went out for a walk at 5ish across the fields and sure enough, the showers that had been fizzling out to the North West
during the day, made it through and soaked me on the way home.

Had the headtorch on and when it's cold I get fooled every time. Every raindrop could be a snowflake in the torch light.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I thought it was meant to be milder by now but nope; a wintry yucky mix today, hazardous on the roads first thing and currently 2.1c out there. Winter is coming... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Seems like the pendulum will really swing the other way

11 or 12c by day, and 9 or 10c night minimums coming up for my area according to Met Office

Very dark, grey days, with hill fog and patchy drizzle

Not too far away from 2 years ago, when we had a record breaking 17c night minimum in the run up to Christmas

Not very festive, but i guess people get to save on their heating bills

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Cheers @Mapantz , that’s made me change my mind then, don’t want to sacrifice any of them.

sorry to hear of your loss!

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Hi

Things not good here at the moment, so busy with funeral arrangements for my dad that i've not even paid attention to what the weather has been like.

My deepest condolences to you @Mapantz these events are not nice and happening close to Christmas feels to make it harder. I know I lost my dad a week before Christmas, and it's never been the same, as he loved Christmas. Anywayz, if there's anything I can help you with let me know. 

As for the Davis I was tempted sometime back but stayed away based on the data logger aspect, as I run mine into a 10" laptop for webpage generation and data logging. Running win7 life is cool!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
18 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Hi

Deepest condolences mate ?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

That's a biting wind out there today, feels bitter around these parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Sorry to hêar of your Loss @Mapantz . 

What a change from this morning , at five this morning it was blowing a hoolie and lashing with rain , then by 7.50 am a bit of a breeze and by sunrise it's beautiful sunshine .Verycold now with a lovely low setting sun . The sun now should be setting a little later albeit slowly to begin with . 

I was thinking of a weather station too. It's my birthday two weeks after Christmas so I thought it might be something to look at . 

Posted
2 hours ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

Sorry to hêar of your Loss @Mapantz . 

What a change from this morning , at five this morning it was blowing a hoolie and lashing with rain , then by 7.50 am a bit of a breeze and by sunrise it's beautiful sunshine .Verycold now with a lovely low setting sun . The sun now should be setting a little later albeit slowly to begin with . 

I was thinking of a weather station too. It's my birthday two weeks after Christmas so I thought it might be something to look at . 

Kinda depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend...your ideas that you seek are....?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Still a tiny snow risk tomorrow around these parts :rofl:

Screenshot_20171215-210744.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Kinda depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend...your ideas that you seek are....?

Well Quite, I'm going  to look on Amazon I think and get a general idea then ask on here about specific models that I have looked at . 

Basically im looking for a reliable , but easy to read and set up station , it gets very breezy but very sunny from late Feb to October in the back garden and the front of the house is a drive where it's the coolest . 

Art from that I have precious little idea .