Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
14 minutes ago, jy said:

All about context really,Friday,heavy snow shower,light dusting lasted about 10 mins before melting,lots of frost,sleet and wet snow showers,so already a better Winter than last year,albeit not much to beat,but its progress lol,as Singularity and jtay have commented we just need so many things to go right for proper snow,but that's what makes it special when it does occur.Even in this micro climate here,only been about 80 miles from a totally different story,lets see how things pan out,anyway given the choice between snow in Brixton or Bermondsey,or sleet in a beautiful downland village......there is no choice lol

Hello jy. Not sure if you saw yesterday, but I put a note on here to say that they had proper snow up a Woodfalls/Hale yesterday morning.
They're up at about 120 metres. Down in the valley, we're at 40m.

And I agree with you, but I do like the Kernel Brewery in Bermondsey. :reindeer-emoji:

At the moment we're down at 1C as the cloud is rolling in and the shaded frost from earlier is hanging around.
I much preferred walking this morning. It was lovely. Yesterday was vile, but by the looks of it, only a mile NW and 80 metres down from being awesome.

Posted
1 minute ago, jtay said:

Hello jy. Not sure if you saw yesterday, but I put a note on here to say that they had proper snow up a Woodfalls/Hale yesterday morning.
They're up at about 120 metres. 

That might suggest why I saw a car come into Warminster from the Southern end this morning with a few inches of snow on its roof!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
16 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

That might suggest why I saw a car come into Warminster from the Southern end this morning with a few inches of snow on its roof!

Car roof envy... I love it lol. And its very apparent around here.

Stroud is surrounded by hills, with the town nestling in the convergence of the five valleys. That often means (as this event has shown) when town has a dusting the surrounding hills get a pasting ( a slushy inch in town Sunday - 6 inch pasting on the hills) and the car roofs in Tesco car park are hilarious. Some piled up some not  so much.

I was kind of in the middle.

Quite incredible how elevation can effect snowfall in marginal events.

One day we will see an event that's not marginal and everyone can join in the fun. Got a feeling we may not have to long to wait ;) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Well it’s cloudy, still and 0c here near Stroud, but according to the V4 radar we’ve had moderate rain for about 20 mins. Airs a bit damp, maybe very very light drizzle. 2-3 inches frozen snow on the grass. 

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
4 hours ago, Rapodo said:

Is it me or does there seem to be a lack of berries on the bushes this year? Thought the saying was lots of berries meant a cold winter but the last few years there had been lots of berries and we all know how turned out. Maybe the opposite is true I can't recall seeing many berries this year but maybe I've just not noticed.

Nope, I had tons of Sloes for my gin!! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
6 hours ago, Rapodo said:

Is it me or does there seem to be a lack of berries on the bushes this year? Thought the saying was lots of berries meant a cold winter but the last few years there had been lots of berries and we all know how turned out. Maybe the opposite is true I can't recall seeing many berries this year but maybe I've just not noticed.

Not around here, the complete opposite, the holly trees were dripping with them this year, now stripped bare though the birds have had the lot already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
5 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Mmmm, not so sure about that we are lacking berries, there are a lot around but depends where I suppose. Wife was only commenting this weekend we have a lot of berries this year, so could well be subjective. Anyway, I suspect it's more of one of the old weather lore rather than fact. As berry growth I believe (and stand to be corrected by our our gardening team) is more of a result of ideal growing conditions in the previous seasons and not related to forward looking hardship in up and coming seasons. Gardening team, your thoughts...?

I've often wondered this and being a professional gardener (for more years than I care to remember) I can categorically say it is driven by current season conditions. BUT, and it may just be a fanciful but, I wonder if there's some truth to the saying. We now all know there are long term weather drivers like El Nino/La Nina, and I do think it's more than possible that years ago the long term weather drivers, although not scientifically known, were noticed. Isn't it possible that the global, long term weather drivers which created perfect spring growing conditions for berrying plants, then went on to produce a colder than average winter too? Over time the connection was made, even though the reason wasn't known and so it became a tool to predict when having a cold winter often meant the difference between survival or not for subsistence farmers.

Leaving fanciful thoughts aside.....I'm over the moon, champagne is chilling, today I got planning permission to build a house. Self build journey, here I come:yahoo: 

• Like 1

Posted

Chris55 is so right about elevation affecting snow in his earlier message. I was in Stroud town centre this morning and you would not know it had snowed. The roads were dry. Whereas where I live in Thrupp Lane nearby, at 350 ft we still have a couple of inches. However, I needed to go to a Nature Reserve just five miles north of Stroud this afternoon as I volunteer there for Butterfly Conservation and these images were taken there at 2 pm today, I kid you not. I was unable to get the car into the car park so to get it off the road I had to use a warning triangle while I dug myself a parking space to get the car off the busy road. The site is around 800 ft at the highest point and I estimated the snow depth was approaching a foot in places. It was a winter wonderland.  Anyway, I thought I'd show you a few pictures to make you salivate. 

5a303c7ac949d_RoughBankSnowatAccessStripgate.thumb.jpg.edec485135a4ca339448b55c8c1f4563.jpg5a303c908769a_RoughBankSnowtopofBank2.thumb.jpg.35e485a9b38cf00bfd663545782a12e1.jpg5a303ca2e02af_RoughBankSnowandAnthill.thumb.jpg.f622a0ce3ec41a8c82a0c1bba24851d7.jpg5a303cb61243c_RoughBankSnowlookingwestfrombank.thumb.jpg.cd068d0a4bd715168f818cb7b5e56175.jpg5a303d0f9a088_RoughBankSnowlookingwestfromBank2.thumb.jpg.25207a26b2af6ff6553b0eebdb4a0631.jpg5a303cf05e304_RoughBankSnowlookingEastmiddlepath.thumb.jpg.0f0634955d7b75d2beda4b05ca2871c9.jpg5a303cdd6c31b_RoughBanksnowtopofBank.thumb.jpg.90fe5d601033e03ceb2baf14a7e4b127.jpg5a303cc963e21_RoughBankSnowonBeechbranches.thumb.jpg.c4b1db7831b267b0f169b6dfed03f803.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
24 minutes ago, musician said:

Chris55 is so right about elevation affecting snow in his earlier message. I was in Stroud town centre this morning and you would not know it had snowed. The roads were dry. Whereas where I live in Thrupp Lane nearby, at 350 ft we still have a couple of inches. However, I needed to go to a Nature Reserve just five miles north of Stroud this afternoon as I volunteer there for Butterfly Conservation and these images were taken there at 2 pm today, I kid you not. I was unable to get the car into the car park so to get it off the road I had to use a warning triangle while I dug myself a parking space to get the car off the busy road. The site is around 800 ft at the highest point and I estimated the snow depth was approaching a foot in places. It was a winter wonderland.  Anyway, I thought I'd show you a few pictures to make you salivate. 

5a303c7ac949d_RoughBankSnowatAccessStripgate.thumb.jpg.edec485135a4ca339448b55c8c1f4563.jpg5a303c908769a_RoughBankSnowtopofBank2.thumb.jpg.35e485a9b38cf00bfd663545782a12e1.jpg5a303ca2e02af_RoughBankSnowandAnthill.thumb.jpg.f622a0ce3ec41a8c82a0c1bba24851d7.jpg5a303cb61243c_RoughBankSnowlookingwestfrombank.thumb.jpg.cd068d0a4bd715168f818cb7b5e56175.jpg5a303d0f9a088_RoughBankSnowlookingwestfromBank2.thumb.jpg.25207a26b2af6ff6553b0eebdb4a0631.jpg5a303cf05e304_RoughBankSnowlookingEastmiddlepath.thumb.jpg.0f0634955d7b75d2beda4b05ca2871c9.jpg5a303cdd6c31b_RoughBanksnowtopofBank.thumb.jpg.90fe5d601033e03ceb2baf14a7e4b127.jpg5a303cc963e21_RoughBankSnowonBeechbranches.thumb.jpg.c4b1db7831b267b0f169b6dfed03f803.jpg

Hi, you’re right about the Stroud district, microclimates and elevation! I live in Rooksmoor, which is lower than Stroud town, but I’m below Rodborough common in a frost hollow. It has rained now, but there is still 3 inches of snow here. Worked up on Rodborough common yesterday and there was 6 inches there. Looking out to May Hill across the Vale of Gloucester (for those who don’t know it - it’s pretty high up) there was hardly a dusting up there, when sometimes it can be covered with snow with nothing here at all. 

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted
1 hour ago, SilverWolf said:

Hi, you’re right about the Stroud district, microclimates and elevation! I live in Rooksmoor, which is lower than Stroud town, but I’m below Rodborough common in a frost hollow. It has rained now, but there is still 3 inches of snow here. Worked up on Rodborough common yesterday and there was 6 inches there. Looking out to May Hill across the Vale of Gloucester (for those who don’t know it - it’s pretty high up) there was hardly a dusting up there, when sometimes it can be covered with snow with nothing here at all. 

1 hour ago, SilverWolf said:

Yes I've noticed that sometimes. Though when I lived in the Forest near Cinderford the snow didn't seem to want to thaw under those trees. Always seemed very icy over there. My photos from today were from a site near The Camp just North of Bisley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Amazing photos :sorry:

this is as close as I’ve come to building a bloody snowman so far this winter 

E36CB55C-D3EC-43B3-AC47-20E53A6C05B1.thumb.png.8b9cdf702935e8ee95a61add6a287bc0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
15 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Amazing photos :sorry:

this is as close as I’ve come to building a bloody snowman so far this winter 

E36CB55C-D3EC-43B3-AC47-20E53A6C05B1.thumb.png.8b9cdf702935e8ee95a61add6a287bc0.png

At least it won't melt. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Netweather.tv showing heavy snow this evening... :pardon:

Posted
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Netweather.tv showing heavy snow this evening... :pardon:

Hi neighbour(s) can we all come together and blow up the M4 corridor. :whistling::crazy:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Hi neighbour(s) can we all come together and blow up the M4 corridor. :whistling::crazy:

AAAAAAGGGHHHHHH the word M4 should be banned!!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

South Westers! If you want some snow this will be your last chance  (in my humble opinion) until the new year.

Dartmoor above 500 metres a good 12 hours of snow predicted. 

Desperate times require desperate measures!!!

Picture1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
11 minutes ago, khodds said:

We should get M4 in the swear jar.........or if every time we type it appears as M****

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So we have another slim marginal event maybe.. Interesting he says including low levels... Hmm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
58 minutes ago, khodds said:

Oh MY F%&*$g %$^&*, can you believe this ...... $£"%^ RAAAAHHHHH

M**** 

It's going to be a north of the M**** Winter isn't it :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thoroughly miserable this morning but not that mild. I see the rain has no problem crossing the Welsh hills lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
22 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh MY F%&*$g %$^&*, can you believe this ...... $£"%^ RAAAAHHHHH

M**** 

It's going to be a north of the M**** Winter isn't it :wallbash:

it could be a north of the A35 winter and you'd still be knackered.... :ninja::bomb::wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Gfs has been showing snow right down to the south coast, not that I trust it, I'd  miss any snow anyway as I'll be watching the midnight showing of the new star wars movie. 

And it just blows me away how that m4 has such an impact on where snow falls, clearly it was built by god or some other higher power to have such an impact on snowfall!! 

Edited by Smartie