Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted

I have an ice volcano in my birdbath. I assume that it's due to the water freezing at the edge first and so the only place for the rest of the water to go is inwards and upwards where it has frozen and exploded! Well I know what I mean and if it was at all possible for this techno-twit to post a picture........I would! ?

Beautiful morning, though. ?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

-15 or so and we'd have problems with our utility room (it's not heated and it's single skin) but if we regularly had it so cold we'd insulate and heat it. 

With Donald Trump & Global warming, unless the next Ice age is around the corner (like right round the immediate corner) I wouldn't get too concerned. Mind you I shan't be here to suffer either of those longer term effects, so live for today and enjoy the cold snap, it makes such a welcomed change down here...

Posted

Got down to a chilly -5oC at about 7.30 now -2. The single glazed extension is currently at 1oC! Brr! Windows are pretty though! Not had ice on them for years!

20171212_103908.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Stunning morning here. 2c and wind no longer coming from the north.  I work in a beautiful rural spot and tho the walk in was treacherous today (over a humped back bridge covered in ice and no pavement) it's such a lovely view. And cracking ice underfoot is a fantastic sound :cold::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

A solution for you snow starved southerners, go and live in princetown

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62181805.html

The house sits at 430 metres above sea level and its snowed up there already 6 times this season!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Low of -4.2°C here last night which was a bit lower than expected. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
21 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Low of -4.2°C here last night which was a bit lower than expected. 

I got to -4.3 at about 7:30am :rofl:

Posted
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Stunning morning here. 2c and wind no longer coming from the north.  I work in a beautiful rural spot and tho the walk in was treacherous today (over a humped back bridge covered in ice and no pavement) it's such a lovely view. And cracking ice underfoot is a fantastic sound :cold::D

I did that with my 16 month old boy on a frozen puddle this morning, he loved the sound! As he did playing with hailstones last Friday and watching snow fall Sunday/yesterday. We have made the most we possibly could of him learning during this spell of cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

-9 on the car this morning in the bottom of the valley, couldn't get the bloody car door open lol, had to go get a warm watering can of water.

currently -1 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Just heard on radio 2 weather 

hill snow coming in tonight and tomorrow ! 

Posted
2 hours ago, festivalking said:

The house sits at 430 metres above sea level and its snowed up there already 6 times this season!!!!

Looks a nice place, just concerned about the rowdy neighbours though..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 hours ago, festivalking said:

I woul if there was work near by.. :D

I have looked before.

Posted
48 minutes ago, offerman said:

Just heard on radio 2 weather 

hill snow coming in tonight and tomorrow ! 

scottish hills maybe... :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

Is it me or does there seem to be a lack of berries on the bushes this year? Thought the saying was lots of berries meant a cold winter but the last few years there had been lots of berries and we all know how turned out. Maybe the opposite is true I can't recall seeing many berries this year but maybe I've just not noticed.

Edited by Rapodo

Posted

IMG_20171212_104056.thumb.jpg.744f3e6635dc160ac5abc45b5e2f7eaa.jpg

Thought I should share the aftermath of the great Mendip blizzard I have left. :rofl:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Is it me or does there seem to be a lack of berries on the bushes this year? Thought the saying was lots of berries meant a cold winter but the last few years there had been lots of berries and we all know how turned out. Maybe the opposite is true I can't recall seeing many berries this year but maybe I've just not noticed.

Mmmm, not so sure about that we are lacking berries, there are a lot around but depends where I suppose. Wife was only commenting this weekend we have a lot of berries this year, so could well be subjective. Anyway, I suspect it's more of one of the old weather lore rather than fact. As berry growth I believe (and stand to be corrected by our our gardening team) is more of a result of ideal growing conditions in the previous seasons and not related to forward looking hardship in up and coming seasons. Gardening team, your thoughts...?

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

Mmmm, not so sure about that we are lacking berries, there are a lot around but depends where I suppose. Wife was only commenting this weekend we have a lot of berries this year, so ccould be subjective. Anyway, I suspect it's more of one of the old weather lore rather than fact. As berry growth I believe (and stand to be corrected by our our gardening team) is more of a resuklt of ideal growing conditions in the previous seasons and not related to forward looking hardship in up and coming seasons. Gardening team, your thoughts...?

Yes it has no bearing whatsoever and probably noticed more over last year because winters were mild...As soon as you get a cold spell there is a lack of berries because the birds eat all of them. :laugh:

Posted
20 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I woul if there was work near by.. :D

I have looked before.

Depends what your work is but Plymouth is only 40 minutes away. Amazing commute across the open moor. I would love to live up there but the Mrs can't get past the fact that more often than not  Princetown is in fog. We're only 3 miles from there but 3 miles and 250 metres lower essentially a whole different world away

Posted

No the berries thing is is probably just me straw clutching over an old wives tale. Something just feels different this year. Been working outside all my life just feel this could be the year we get a good snow dumping. We can't keep missing out surely. Gut feeling were get snow this winter! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Rapodo said:

No the berries thing is is probably just me straw clutching over an old wives tale. Something just feels different this year. Been working outside all my life just feel this could be the year we get a good snow dumping. We can't keep missing out surely. Gut feeling were get snow this winter! 

Have a horrible feeling though our chance has come and gone though, if last weeks system was just another 150 miles south we would of all been in business. When it comes to snow in the UK the fine line between wet and white is staggering!

Posted
8 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Have a horrible feeling though our chance has come and gone though, if last weeks system was just another 150 miles south we would of all been in business. When it comes to snow in the UK the fine line between wet and white is staggering!

We can do pretty well out of a eastily down here rather than a northerly. But i do remember the thunder snow in poole many years ago from the north. A good channel low is good for us dragging the cold in from Europe. Good start to winter already though dispite the lack of snow. Quite a few frost days already and that has been rare this time of year. 

Edited by Rapodo
  • Like 1

Posted

All about context really,Friday,heavy snow shower,light dusting lasted about 10 mins before melting,lots of frost,sleet and wet snow showers,so already a better Winter than last year,albeit not much to beat,but its progress lol,as Singularity and jtay have commented we just need so many things to go right for proper snow,but that's what makes it special when it does occur.Even in this micro climate here,only been about 80 miles from a totally different story,lets see how things pan out,anyway given the choice between snow in Brixton or Bermondsey,or sleet in a beautiful downland village......there is no choice lol