Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Hereford and Shropshire seem to be the cold spots. Temps of -8/-9C already recorded. I'm calling it and switching the heaters off for the night!

Shawbury reporting -10C at 23.50pm. 

-3C for me.

Edited by EllyTech
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Got down to -4.0c now  back up to -3.1c. Now I’ve got to go scrape the ice off the car... remind me why  we like this cold weather. 

EDiT: think -4.0c will be broke very quickly back down to -3.7c. FROST WATCH is fun :crazy:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I'm working away in Stratford Upon Avon. Currently -10c here. Brrrr.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Morning down to -2.2c last night. Coldest night here for a couple of years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

-4.2c was my overnight low. Not seen temperatures like that for a while!! Nice. Shame we won’t be repeating it for a while 

edit: still dropping :oops:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Now -8c here. Some pictures of where I'm staying in Stratford Upon Avon. 

20171211_161703.jpg

20171211_161656.jpg

20171211_161652.jpg

Edited by John88B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Very cold start here in NE Somerset with a lot of clear skies and temperatures of -5C currently.

I’ve taken a look at the model output this morning and it looks like by this time next week we will be looking at double figure temperatures widely across the area under long fetch SW’lies.

213E31FA-7DDE-4B8E-B8C7-AF66F912782F.jpeg

F65FA0E7-CA04-42D1-9538-65E62CFB6A06.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
13 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Very cold start here in NE Somerset with a lot of clear skies and temperatures of -5C currently.

I’ve taken a look at the model output this morning and it looks like by this time next week we will be looking at double figure temperatures widely across the area under long fetch SW’lies.

213E31FA-7DDE-4B8E-B8C7-AF66F912782F.jpeg

F65FA0E7-CA04-42D1-9538-65E62CFB6A06.jpegGreat to hear from you again Gibby and what a great website you have too. I had a quick peek and it's a great layout and the weather station information is very well set out - even a newbie like me can understand it . Thank you . 

Posted

We had drizzly rain through yesterday, some seemed slightly sleety, 3.6mm in total.
A high of 3.2c yesterday around 4pm, when it started to drop to -0.2c at midnight and a low of -1.8c at 6:30am

It is now -1c, NW very light wind, 1009.0 hPa rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think last night made this cold spell. Minimum of -4C so coldest night of the winter so far. If only we'd had snow lying...

Posted

Have to take back what I said last night about it being an unremarkable night. Nowhere near the record (thank goodness! -double figures isnt a lot of fun) but coldest night of the year by some way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Have to take back what I said last night about it being an unremarkable night. Nowhere near the record (thank goodness! -double figures isnt a lot of fun) but coldest night of the year by some way.

I don't think its really a problem until you get past  -25c if you dress okay.

Past -30c and breathing hurts and then once it hits -40 and then finally -47c with a breeze which i experienced in finland a few years back you realize you just cant put enough layers on to cope and there is a limit to what you can handle.. :laugh:

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I don't think its really a problem until you get past  -25c if you dress okay.

Past -30c and breathing hurts and then once it hits -40 and then finally -47c with a breeze which i experienced in finland a few years back you realize you just cant put enough layers on to cope and there is a limit to what you can handle.. :laugh:

-15 or so and we'd have problems with our utility room (it's not heated and it's single skin) but if we regularly had it so cold we'd insulate and heat it. Unfortunately I also in a barn which is only partly heated (fine with layers as you say) but trying to open padlocks at 6 am when its this cold is no fun!!!

Posted

currently 0.3c at HQ had some rain on the way into work this morning, suspect that turned to ice when it hit the surface!

Posted
22 minutes ago, Nick_Somerset said:

Clutching at straws but as its soooo cold this morning...any chance of this rain later being snow? Or are we looking further ahead for the next snow chasing event? 

If you lived in south Dorset, you would realise that the only time you can expect snow is around the 32nd of Decembruary. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, Nick_Somerset said:

Clutching at straws but as its soooo cold this morning...any chance of this rain later being snow? Or are we looking further ahead for the next snow chasing event? 

Sadly not and the next snow chasing event could be weeks away yet. Certainly mild in terms of no snow to at least Christmas..........but the weather is fickle and could change tact just don't bet on it!

Edited by festivalking