Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted

Looking out the window, you wouldn't even know that it was snowing for hours yesterday!  BUT we had a good 5/6 hours of falling snow AND it was in broad daylight, so I'm taking that as quite good, compared to the last few Winters. ?

• Like 1

Posted

1 minute ago, noggin said:

Looking out the window, you wouldn't even know that it was snowing for hours yesterday!  BUT we had a good 5/6 hours of falling snow AND it was in broad daylight, so I'm taking that as quite good, compared to the last few Winters. ?

we need a week of pure cold weather not rain that turns to snow then it actually feels like its snowed

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning and Snow

It's ice pellets with the odd snowflake here in Cosham. I think the Met Office were caught off guard as they only issued a snow warning at 0921 this morning which was several hours after the first reports of snowfall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Been light snow here in Frome for last two hours or so 

it did stop

briefly earlier but started again 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Depressing when you have very little snow settle and know the next chance of snow could be weeks away. 

Not sure if anyone else feels like it but I feel like I waste a lot of my time chasing snow lol.

Yes, I am the same.  I live on the North Norfolk coast and it's amazing how high dew points can scupper any snow here.  Was horrible to see all the reports of snow yesterday, even in London, but up here in Norfolk not one snow flake did I see.  Mind you, virtually all of Norfolk was the same.  I'm convinced I have a snow shield around me.  The snow obsession is like an addiction once it takes hold!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
4 minutes ago, rh205 said:

It's ice pellets with the odd snowflake here in Cosham. I think the Met Office were caught off guard as they only issued a snow warning at 0921 this morning which was several hours after the first reports of snowfall.

The only one to call it right was a weatherman someone mentioned on here and said his reputation as on the line! Look like he called it right when he said the whole

system would be 100 miles further north 

anyone remember his name? 

Edited by offerman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
1 minute ago, offerman said:

The only one to call it right was a weatherman someone mentioned on here and said his reputation as on the line! Look like he called it right when he said the whole

Chris Fawkes, worth following on Twitter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

A bit IMBY but it's looking like a very cold night ahead. Ian F quoting -4c from Bristol and quite possibly -10c in rural Gloucestershire it's been years since it's been that cold. A stunning start to winter here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
39 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Depressing when you have very little snow settle and know the next chance of snow could be weeks away. 

Not sure if anyone else feels like it but I feel like I waste a lot of my time chasing snow lol.

I am a little bit depressed with. Even more so as its been a so near but yet so far, When I hear schools in Swindon being closed and I am 30 miles away with just the patchiest cover imaginable, plus having it snow almost continuously yesterday to no avail, it's not surprising to be a bit down. The butser hill snow is the final straw...

Still it's just the weather...

Posted
1 hour ago, ajpoolshark said:

frontal band moving away east now so snow has stopped......can't complain as we've had the first 'spell' of proper snow here since Jan 2013.....still plenty of snow on the ground despite the thaw with probably 3-4 inches of acc snow over the past 24 hours

Go get lost!

*Not well Jel* ~ Not ... at ... all ....... Much!

Posted
1 hour ago, TheHumph said:

It was snowing quite heavily and settling at Cheesefoot Head on the A272 coming in to work in Winchester I guess due to the slightly higher elevation.

Horrendous in Winchester now. Gloomy and wet.

So close but so far :( Where do you work?

Posted
36 minutes ago, offerman said:

anyone remember his name? 

Chris Fawkes did also tweet a couple of days ago up to 20cm of snow from this system!! 

Still, in a bit of shock to see Beachy Head has gone white in a blizzard. So darn near yet so darn far ... again!!

Posted
1 hour ago, Dean E said:

Yeah I had a message from a friend saying Butser had a good covering this morning, so took no time in rushing up there! Thank goodness I had a free morning! 

Talking about it feeling raw, there was a very marked wind chill up there! 

How much they got?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
11 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Go get lost!

*Not well Jel* ~ Not ... at ... all ....... Much!

stop beating around the bush and say what you really think Beka :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

stop beating around the bush and say what you really think Beka :laugh:

No. Paul looks in here ... LOL!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Got quite excited when it started snowing early this morning at work, but it soon turned to sleet and then rain and is only just stopping now. Still better than the last few years I guess but it's depressing knowing that it could literally be years before we see snow falling again. It's bitterly cold outside and still we get rain, all a bit of a damp squib down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

3 °C at the moment. Wind chill not as excessive as i thought. I'll be glad to see the back of this and have the sunshine return.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

0.9c. Wind Chill  -3.2c. Dew Point -2.3c. Apparent -3.4c. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

3 °C at the moment. Wind chill not as excessive as i thought. I'll be glad to see the back of this and have the sunshine return.

I thought that on school run. I was expecting it to be really bitter but was just cold and not even that cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

urrrghhh, just been in the SE regional thread, I think our corner of the uk is about the only place in the UK to have bust in this Mild Cold spell.