Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

So about 10 of the last 24 hours have brought temps of 1*C and mostly rain with a bit of sleet here and there.

Given a few reports of snow to the south of me at what appears to be similar or even lower elevation, it appears all I need is a bit of added intensity to the precipitation - but the radar is so messed up this morning that I can't really tell what's coming my way. I can see these heavier pulses moving through London but then there's a cut-off not far to the SW beyond which it all looks light. Which is the real deal?

Then there's the extremely dodgy Dean Hill radar cutting a hole in the observations. It's all guesswork going forward!

Must say though, this has been in the top 3 most miserable spells of winter weather I've had to endure this past decade.

When one looks at the chart synoptically and checks the date, you do wonder what it will take to get it to snow properly round here! At least I got about 30 minutes of genuine snow from a heavier burst - maybe you'll get some before the day is out :)

• Like 1

Posted

I got soaked on my walk to Downton earlier. It was just cold, wet and horrible.:angry:
I wouldn't even call it sleet. It was just a filthy mess.

@Singularity The OH drove across the forest towards Totton at 7:30ish and said it was snow from Woodfalls, with a bit settling.
Looks like that bit of extra height did the trick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Snow has almost stopped blue sky in the distance. Bit of a Brucey bonus I'd say. Just off to work think I'll go via Princetown....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I think I’d have rather had nothing than this mornings tease! 

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

We have plenty of wind, still no effing snow and what little there was yesterday has gone. What a joke.

I had no snow yesterday and no snow today and no snow Friday ... Winchester snow shield is strong man!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

rain here. Utterly vile period of weather for North Hampshire where nothing interesting ever happens.

Group hug dude. Want some of my valium? 

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Group hug dude. Want some of my valium? 

You don't even need to ask! I'll hop on the snow-free A34 now and come grab some:D

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

You don't even need to ask! I'll hop on the snow-free A34 now and come grab some:D

Perfect I'll get the kettle on and a nice cosy blanket for us to snuggle under.Tissues on standby and all the snowiest films in history on standby! Oh and chocolate ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cold wind.  Wind Chill -3.0c. Most of the white stuff gone. 1.1c. Humidity 84%rh . Pressure 962.5 hPa.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, chris55 said:

Pretty grim here this morning, snows still in place, but it's the bleak type, bit drab and half melted, not exactly a winter wonderland. 

So British!! I say I'll settle for a flake falling and get sleet but want to see heavy real snow.You get snow then moan it's melting we never happy us lot hahahaha!!

• Like 1

Posted

Here in East Devon, Dorset border area the cold snap has been characterised by very strong winds. Yesterday sustained gales from WSW today a biting and gusty NNE wind. Not a flake of snow here, a touch of sleet perhaps... There was a stage where it was snowing to the north of us,the East of us and the West (albeit on the moors). Still early in the season so hopefully our time will come ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Blowing a near gale up here. Windchill must be immense. All stopped now. Light dusting in Princetown nothing more. Suppose I best get to work....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

frontal band moving away east now so snow has stopped......can't complain as we've had the first 'spell' of proper snow here since Jan 2013.....still plenty of snow on the ground despite the thaw with probably 3-4 inches of acc snow over the past 24 hours

Posted

After this mornings wet snow (which was welcomed to see) I needed more of a snow fix. Ended up at Butser Hill which is only up the road from me to find a beautiful covering of snow!

IMG_3052.thumb.JPG.1dd6583d8c60a5ff868f53ce47256111.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

That wind is flipping Raw!!!

Posted
46 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I had no snow yesterday and no snow today and no snow Friday ... Winchester snow shield is strong man!!

It was snowing quite heavily and settling at Cheesefoot Head on the A272 coming in to work in Winchester I guess due to the slightly higher elevation.

Horrendous in Winchester now. Gloomy and wet.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Dean E said:

After this mornings wet snow (which was welcomed to see) I needed more of a snow fix. Ended up at Butser Hill which is only up the road from me to find a beautiful covering of snow!

IMG_3052.thumb.JPG.1dd6583d8c60a5ff868f53ce47256111.JPG

Amazing what a bit of elevation will do. When I left Horndean this morning I was wandering what all the fuss was about until I got to Butser on the A3 and it was really coming down!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, TheHumph said:

Amazing what a bit of elevation will do. When I left Horndean this morning I was wandering what all the fuss was about until I got to Butser on the A3 and it was really coming down!

Yeah I had a message from a friend saying Butser had a good covering this morning, so took no time in rushing up there! Thank goodness I had a free morning! 

Talking about it feeling raw, there was a very marked wind chill up there! 

• Thanks 1