Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

We have plenty of wind, still no effing snow and what little there was yesterday has gone. What a joke.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Kids very happy at the sight of falling snow! It’s not sticking and it certainly won’t do, but its a pretty good way to start Monday! 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Kids very happy at the sight of falling snow! It’s not sticking and it certainly won’t do, but its a pretty good way to start Monday! 

Glad you've seen some mate. Depressing when you know its going to turn milder mid week onwards. Any snow we've had has mostly melted.

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

My two year old wanted to go "ice skating" in it earlier. Just plain rain now in eastern Bomo ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

We have plenty of wind, still no effing snow and what little there was yesterday has gone. What a joke.

While it was nice seeing snow falling, when you compare with what other have had - it is a joke.

It even looks like the front is going to pull away East before it get here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

For those in hope of snow in Bristol being slightly N'wards and W'wards the area of snow is beginning to move it's way East and only hope being showers to our West unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think the writing is in the wall with this 'cold spell', summarised as some wet snow and wind chill. 

The search continues for the first proper cold spell...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Spits spots rain here in Frome . 

Last nights snow melted now . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

bloody hell, I actually got a weather prediction right...lol....in your face, met men......most of my predictions are utter pigs swill...lol........and I'm so relieved Karlos has seen a snow flake (I feared for his sanity).........quite a marked thaw during the night here, still some snow on the ground .and we have light snow currently courtesy of Ana (the storm, not the eccentric german woman down the street...lol) and a biting NE wind

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Well, that was that then. Moving on.....

NEXT. :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Snowing in Yate. All in all a very snowy 24 hours here. Good to see. Now I'm travelling up to Stratford Upon Avon for a weeks work. Expecting to see a lot more up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning, it snowed for hours here yesterday but with everything so wet it took hours of wasted snow to settle and stick, eventually ending up with a covering of about an inch. It was beginning to snow again when I went to bed but overnight everything has thawed and disappeared, not even a frost here. Can't grumble though, at least I saw snow and however brief, it was a winter wonderland for a few hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
45 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Glad you got in on the snow action, hopefully not the last chance we all have this winter :)

Posted

Very light snow in Swindon, still plenty of snow laying about, had to bribe the dog with a sausage to get him in. but beeing a husky im supprised that i got him in at all lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Pretty grim here this morning, snows still in place, but it's the bleak type, bit drab and half melted, not exactly a winter wonderland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
1 hour ago, Rapodo said:

Snow in poole but rain keeps mixing out. Just slush rain. It's trying to turn to full snow as the back edge swings round. Very surprised how far west it is wasn't forecast that way at all. 

Yes they got that wrong, even the forecast I saw late night showed London and surrounding areas to be the furthest west any precipitation would get. Shame the system that came in early Saturday wasn't much further south than was forecast then most of us would have seen winter wonderland scenes instead of a washout. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

More rain than snow imby, really nothing to be excited about! Just done school run up the hill in Lytchett Mattravers and it’s just snow up there (275ft asl) slushy deposits on cars. But that’s your lot. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think one of the issues with snow taking time to settle and subsequently thawing even overnight is that the ground temperature simply isn't low enough. We probably needed a few hard/severe frosts first.

Vile dull morning with sporadic light wet snow/sleet and very cold in the wind, 1.4c currently.

3 days out of 4 with wintry precipitation which is positive seeing as it's only 11th December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

So about 10 of the last 24 hours have brought temps of 1*C and mostly rain with a bit of sleet here and there.

Given a few reports of snow to the south of me at what appears to be similar or even lower elevation, it appears all I need is a bit of added intensity to the precipitation - but the radar is so messed up this morning that I can't really tell what's coming my way. I can see these heavier pulses moving through London but then there's a cut-off not far to the SW beyond which it all looks light. Which is the real deal?

Then there's the extremely dodgy Dean Hill radar cutting a hole in the observations. It's all guesswork going forward!

Must say though, this has been in the top 3 most miserable spells of winter weather I've had to endure this past decade.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
39 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning, it snowed for hours here yesterday but with everything so wet it took hours of wasted snow to settle and stick, eventually ending up with a covering of about an inch. It was beginning to snow again when I went to bed but overnight everything has thawed and disappeared, not even a frost here. Can't grumble though, at least I saw snow and however brief, it was a winter wonderland for a few hours.

Still a light covering at home but half of it thawed. Knew minus 2 was out.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Snowing proper now. The relief! Not settling here at 200 metres but been out walking and it' settling at 300 metres. At 400 metres it's doing really well. Mind you wish the wind would die down would help making the snow thicker. Happy days

• Like 1