Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

sleet here soon to be rain. night all. hope it looks better by morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning and Snow

Light Rain / Drizzle Temp: 4.1C DP: 2.2C here in Gosport. Going to get  a few hours sleep as all this model watching has worn me out.

Edited by rh205

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Lightest possible sleet here on the east side of soton. 3.2c, wc 0.7, dp -1.2, wb 1.6c. Wind e/se. 1000mb.

Edited by katemart
  • Like 1

Posted

Sleet still on going here, expecting rain very soon now as the winds are starting to turn more SE in the past half hour.

Temp now 1.5c, DP -2c, rising steadily now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Sleet still on going here, expecting rain very soon now as the winds are starting to turn more SE in the past half hour.

Temp now 1.5c, DP -2c, rising steadily now

Se is good you Don't want it to turn southerly or westerly. Wish this thing would come in far enough south to keep the westerlies in the channel. But that's not going to happen. Se could keep the dp down.

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Se is good you Don't want it to turn southerly or westerly. Wish this thing would come in far enough south to keep the westerlies in the channel. But that's not going to happen. Se could keep the dp down.

Any direction from SW to SE is bad here! One exception was January 2013, where we had a SE wind but got 20cm of snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Since midnight the pressures been dropping very quickly. 999.56mb currently. 4.2°C and not really moving.

Posted
22 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

I'm off to get some sleep now, but I wish everyone in our thread the best of luck for snow in the next 12-36 hours.....keep the faith, you never know :)

The only snow I shall see is that stuff coming out the can onto my christmas tree ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Observations from Bristol indicate current temperature at 1'c. Although precipitation is mainly sleet likely to be because of light precipitation. Once precipitation intensity increases with more evaporative cooling from the SW likely to see the band of rain ready to turn to snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Observations from Bristol indicate current temperature at 1'c. Although precipitation is mainly sleet likely to be because of light precipitation. Once precipitation intensity increases with more evaporative cooling from the SW likely to see the band of rain ready to turn to snow

Have had snow at 5c before and its stuck, so dont worry tooo much about 0 or 1c..

850's cold enough? Maybe some evap coooling.

To be fair, its also midnight so temps are nice and cool.

Even if it rains, it can quickly turn to snow and settle.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

You'll need to have slack winds for evaporative cooling to take effect in this setup, which I believe most areas away from the SW have right now. Any strong winds will prevent any cooling due to too much mixing in the air.

Posted
1 minute ago, Dean E said:

You'll need to have slack winds for evaporative cooling to take effect in this setup, which I believe most areas away from the SW have right now. Any strong winds will prevent any cooling due to too much mixing in the air.

"North" of the low will be fine. Anything under that will suffer.

Posted
Just now, Lynxus said:

Exactly, where that centre goes will be interesting overnight!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
4 minutes ago, Lynxus said:

Have had snow at 5c before and its stuck, so dont worry tooo much about 0 or 1c..

850's cold enough? Maybe some evap coooling.

To be fair, its also midnight so temps are nice and cool.

Even if it rains, it can quickly turn to snow and settle.

And to be fair here in Keynsham now it's more snow than it is rain but only very small flakes.

Posted
Just now, Dean E said:

Exactly, where that centre goes will be interesting overnight!

What may also help others is, as the low passes, colder air gets brought down on its left side.

This can turn what has been a wet night into a snowy day. (and even settle in higher intensity falls)

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

And to be fair here in Keynsham now it's more snow than it is rain but only very small flakes.

Good to know!

Here its ~0c . If brizzol has flakes, thats a good sign.

This system has come south further than expected! think about the poor folks up north who were getting a pasting who are now in for a starry night.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lynxus said:

What may also help others is, as the low passes, colder air gets brought down on its left side.

This can turn what has been a wet night into a snowy day. (and even settle in higher intensity falls)

Exactly, from satellite I can see your point that the Low looks further south currently. Fancy swapping locations? :rofl:

Posted

Does anyone know what the Netweather radar uses to determine the "weather type" for the precipitation??

I believe its modeled. The Met now uses a Doppler type system, introduced this year.

Posted

Does anyone know what the Netweather radar uses to determine the "weather type" for the precipitation??

A mixture of air pressure, surface temperatures, rainfall rates, Upper air temps (850's likely) and others.

Typically, if you have about 4c or less ground temp and -5 850hpa  then you normally good for snow.. It does take other variables into account but that is a good indicator. (always has been for me and not really let me down)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Lynxus said:

Typically, if you have about 4c or less ground temp and -5 850hpa  then you normally good for snow.. It does take other variables into account but that is a good indicator. (always has been for me and not really let me down)

That's where I can throw that one right out of the water. It was 2.5°C here the other night, with -8°C uppers, and it was raining. Wet bulb temperatures were too high, and the wet bulb freezing line wasn't low enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Raining heavily here now. If only this was snow. :sorry:

Temperature rising again now. 4.5°C. Pressure dropping even quicker now. 997.43mb

Posted

My radar tells me I have snow/cold rain. My eyes tell me nothing! Temps still steady at 0.

15 minutes ago, Lynxus said:

I think I'm probably bang central. (S.oxon Thames valley). Absolutely benign here