Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

slug needs to be further north, but potentially cold, frosty foggy in the south, warm in NW, esp Scotland

gfs-0-210.png?6

Eh? That's showing 8-12 degrees in the south coast and 6 a little further north. I don't think anywhere but very high ground would get frosts from that.

Edited by jvenge

Posted
56 minutes ago, TEITS said:

In my opinion we haven't been seeing wild swings in the output in recent days. Actually the models have been consistent in bringing us a return to milder SW,lys.

Personally I think members should forget about the predicted Scandi HP and focus on just what the models are currently predicting. The reason I say this is because even towards the latter stages of the GFS we couldn't be further away from an E,ly via a Scandi HP if we tried. If anything any future cold spells in distant F.I are more likely to come from a NW/N,ly.

Agreed. Nothing what so ever to suggest any sort of cold spell developing from the east northeast in the next 10 days at least. in fact I could not think of a worse winter chart than the one offered up by the 06z at t192.

gfsnh-0-192.png?6

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

slug needs to be further north, but potentially cold, frosty foggy in the south, warm in NW, esp Scotland

gfs-0-210.png?6

Following on from the 00Z OP and Control. Yes, we do need a shade more continental flow admittedly but that looks a good chart for frost and fog in the SE and IF the fog lingers it would be very cold by day - quite possible to have an ice day in London under fog even with very high 850s.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Eh? That's showing 8-12 degrees in the south coast and 6 a little further north. I don't think anywhere but very high ground would get frosts from that.

high needs to be a bit further north

Posted
2 minutes ago, stodge said:

Following on from the 00Z OP and Control. Yes, we do need a shade more continental flow admittedly but that looks a good chart for frost and fog in the SE and IF the fog lingers it would be very cold by day - quite possible to have an ice day in London under fog even with very high 850s.

No it doesn't. That's not a good chart for anything even close to resembling an ice day in London. Unless ice has a new freezing point and I wasn't informed.

• Like 2

Posted

Operation Save Christmas!

The GFS 06hrs run develops more amplitude upstream and tries to retrogress the high within T240hrs. That's a welcome sign after the early morning runs which were poor for cold prospects.

I wouldn't look further than that when the lower resolution kicks in but we'll take any better news today. Only one run so we'll have to see if this trend continues.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, after what appears to be a slow and inexorable drift toward a mild blandness, the 06Z ends at this...It could mean nothing, yet it could mean everything?:santa-emoji:

h850t850eu.png

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

That looks horrendous !:nonono:

Maybe its also part of the earlier models showing different synoptics? If its derived from the 00 GEFS as according to Bleuarmy on the Stratosphere Temps Thread this run breaks recent continuity.  It could be part of the change others have mentioned.

• Like 1

Posted

Much the same on the ECM clusters this morning, variations on a westerly theme around Christmas aside the odd outlier - personally I can still see a way to greater amplification once again in the Atlantic but that's more of a reading into what could happen rather than an observation on the models are showing.

Beyond Christmas, suggestions of a stormier period emerging:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017121200_360.

those deep purples showing very cold aloft and potential for deep low pressure systems. They do track a little further south than normal, so could be wintry at times in the north if something like the majority of the clusters varifies.

• Like 1

Posted

I have been hearing a lot from forecasters in the States saying that the background signals and data does not tie with what the operational runs are producing.

And maybe this is why we are still getting signals from the Meto and UK forecasters that not all is set in stone.

Edited by warrenb
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
3 hours ago, robbo88 said:

What are people's thoughts on the chances of this happening tomorrow night? I get it is the Gfs and it overplays snow.

I am not very good at reading charts so I can't tell what the conditions would be on ecm.

But the regional forecast also mentions rain turning to snow? 

IMG_0280.PNG

Don't buy it myself as the Beebs forecasts have mentioned mainly rain except for the hills. They could be wrong (and I would love it to be) but in my experience when rain is forecast it is usually always accurate! 

Posted

How I would love to be proved wrong because the 06Z certainly does give some hope towards Xmas. As Nick says we need to hope this trend continues on the 12Z and isn't an outlier.

Just add to Tamara I hope some of your comments were not directed at me. My approach to the models in this thread is simple. I comment on what the models are showing and how based on past experience they might be wrong.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

38 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

Don't buy it myself as the Beebs forecasts have mentioned mainly rain except for the hills. They could be wrong (and I would love it to be) but in my experience when rain is forecast it is usually always accurate! 

Dividing line is somewhere around 100-150m asl with it going up to 200m or so west and east sides of the Pennines by dawn. I live at the lower end but work at 160 asl so could be a difficult journey Thursday morning.

Same is clearly shown by the current snowline here.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted

Not good news for coldies re the overall winter patterns, looking at the latest computer output from UK Met. What the discussions will be in their Ops room trying to marry this output with what we have had and the possibilities according to some on the longer range models we see would be interesting to be able to eavesdrop!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

• Like 7

Posted
37 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Not good news for coldies re the overall winter patterns, looking at the latest computer output from UK Met. What the discussions will be in their Ops room trying to marry this output with what we have had and the possibilities according to some on the longer range models we see would be interesting to be able to eavesdrop!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

Sorry but how accurate can these charts be. I find it difficult to believe 95% of the North Hemisphere will have a milder than average winter. The thing that sticks out for me is both polar and mid lattitudes being warmer than average. You can't have both.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Sorry but how accurate can these charts be. I find it difficult to believe 95% of the North Hemisphere will have a milder than average winter. The thing that sticks out for me is both polar and mid lattitude-wise being warmer than average. You can't have both.

Also why are the professionals on this and the other side of the Pond telling us to go with experience and not Model Output at the moment, couldn't this raw dats fall into the Model output from the last few days? or not?