Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
5 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

am very keen on this Xmas period, in the winter hopes thread on 7th Dec I mentioned anticipated strong solar wind hit around 22nd.  Well today we have Earth facing Coronal hole with strong solar winds anticipated to arrive 21/22nd bang on cue (info courtesy of space weather).  Let’s see what develops from here.  My thoughts on this are jetstream effects (meandering more/ southward shift) and increase in depth/strength of LPs.

I am not sure where you are getting a 'strong solar wind' hit from - there are 2 small coronal holes on Earth side of Sun - certainly nothing out of the ordinary to my eyes, especially in light of much larger ones that trundle round periodically (days, not weeks). I will keep an eye on the jet though in case it exhibits any extraordinary short-notice behaviour - same with LPs, though my (limited!) understanding is that flares/CMEs are more implicated than solar wind in affecting strength/track of storm systems.

To appease mods: if there is a sudden effect on the Jet I guess we can look at sudden (actual) departures from modelled jet track /LPs in very short term - as well as any sudden large shifts in models' track of jet/LPs, wrt timing of solar wind inpacts .... maybe. It would be great to think that Solar teleconnections could be included in (public) models - or at least included (mechanistically) by those who are switched on to teleconnections. I suspect this conversation is for another place though ...

Edited by Devonshire
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Not sure if it’s just me, or that the ECMWF maybe has a habit of making Low Pressure systems a little too cut off/separate at times in FI

The chart at 192 hours from the 00Z run being an example.

90E1BA87-678B-4522-BC34-FB0CDF0FFD00.thumb.png.77637e1cd3b0fcd9d099cec6bc34b894.png

I know ECMWF can have a possible habit of over-doing amplification of the weather patterns at times, but I think I remember seeing similar charts like the above where the ECMWF had a habit of having too much separation between the Lows, particularly the stormy ones. The results being Lows that would end up being less separate and more organised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

I think the 12z is going to pull some interest out of the hat as of the 27th of December. Colder air back over the UK, with -8 850s creeping towards northern Scotland. Sorry, can't post images at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Seasonality said:

I think the 12z is going to pull some interest out of the hat as of the 27th of December. Colder air back over the UK, with -8 850s creeping towards northern Scotland. Sorry, can't post images at the moment.

gfs-0-192.png?12gfs-1-192.png?12

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GFS 12z is about to bring a dumping for somewhere in the UK, not sure I buy into its earlier evolution though, doesn't match the UKMO wrt the alskan / pacific ridge.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

impressive ridge, you'd think things could get interesting beyond this if the models only went to 192. If only an Atlantic burst of WAA could meet it 

IMG_5628.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted

Chalk and cheese. Much better run if colder weather is what you're after.

gfs-1-228.png

gfs-1-222.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Geting going!!!

Things on a' momentum phase as the pac ridge starts to arrange with other incline-to exact- a colder outlook for uk.

850s are now produce of the the evolutions of modeling ...they always look undercooked when there is a pattern change to hand...

And mid term...you can decipher that colder infer-into the mix via pm flow and things taking a transition!!!

gfsnh-0-216.png

gfs-1-210.png

gfs-7-198.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Well, it all got a bit messy across N. America and I was thinking what a shame that was, but now GFS has gone and decided that a very strong poleward push of heights is on the menu after all.

Pretty cool idea I guess 8)

- but I still prefer the stronger first attempt that UKMO 00z/12z and ECM 00z depict :D

Cool Idea I Guess.PNG

• Like 6

Posted

And there were some writing off Xmas week and even further ahead. Just goes to show, even at the 6 and 7 day juncture it is still wide open. Will await the ECM 12z with renewed interest!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

And there were some writing off Xmas week and even further ahead. Just goes to show, even at the 6 and 7 day juncture it is still wide open. Will await the ECM 12z with renewed interest!

Wide open for what though? - yes a brief cold snap but look through the ensembles, is anything sustained likely?, I'm still and always have been writing xmas week off for any potent outbreak and probably a decent way beyond that right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
24 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Note, the "some" in the above. :good: To be fair, I think it's the locked-in cold Synoptics so many want, they were quick to write off, but such spells can creep up on us out of the blue. Transient snow is the way of things these days and expecting bitter cold for days on end is a most unlikely scenario, we're given what we're given in the UK due to our position in the globe and we need to be realistic. Getting back to the specifics, the sum of it being, we should never judge a single model run in isolation, we should compare like with like, 12z with 12z or 0z with 0z and look at the bigger picture, despite that being an old netweather JH (and several trusted other nw folks) proverb, it holds a lot of water, at least the skies shouldn't for a while. Anyway, I'm supposed to be lurking, mid-range improvements, good stuff, keep em coming! :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

The big freeze across North America by day 9 has all but disappeared...

See, it does not only happen to us! :)

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

True it can quick change ; and some have mentioned about that - Europe could be hit soon agan

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

Which, if it verifies, means a weaker jet stream perhaps.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
18 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

Surely that could be good for us, slow down the jet stream etc? 

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

Ah, but did it end up in Greece instead?

Over the past few days the GFS and ECM have been churning out some pretty extreme solutions in the extended period (<950mb alantic lows, big alaskan ridges, on/offf pacific typhoons, scandi highs).  How much faith we should be putting in the extended outputs, including the ens, at the mo is debatable. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterdays GFS 12hrs run to T216 hrs versus todays to T192hrs:

gfsnh-0-216.thumb.png.61fc275fe45bb397cc005f73100ce0e4.png

Todays:

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.547379da6148b57fda5f08bbbb8dad0a.png

A good reason to not be looking too far ahead and also a good reason to ignore the ensembles until the models settle down. Its obvious theres lots of background noise.

As we saw from this mornings ECM op run versus yesterdays.

So far today its been positive in terms of shortening any milder mush and the impossible a few days back might seem less outlandish today.

Theres still a chance Christmas week could develop more wintry potential.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 hour ago, The Eagle said:

But it quickly returns and is there throughout the rest of the run on the GFS 

Edited by Boro Snow
  • Thanks 1